What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Symonds open the odi

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
I would like to see with Gilly and Ponting @ 3 followed by Hayden, Martyn, Clarke and Bevan.

Imagine the start we would get if they played like yesterday?

What do you think?

knights04

Bench
Hayden will never go down the order your dreamin. Symonds is worthy of 4 in the batting order but no higher.

aqua_duck

Coach
Symonds is best suited to number 4 or 5 where he is at the moment, opening the batting isn't just about wacking the ball while the field is up, there is also a survival aspect, its probably the hardest time to bat whilst the ball is swinging and bouncy, it would take Symonds some time to adjust to that where as Hayden has opened the batting his whole career.

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
Well, we need someone at 4 or 5 with stability and experience. I think Boof is good at this position. I can't handle the "softness of the middle order".

Doctor

Bench
Gilchrist is in phenominal form, Hayden is in decent form - why are we wanting to fiddle with the top order people?

It seems one duck by Hayden has given some people the heebie jeebies to the point where he is suddenly a middle order batsmen. :roll:

Hayden is more than safe, Gilchrist isn't going anywhere else and Ponting is certainly fixed into number three. Questions are being raised about Martyn at four, and with Lehmann and Bevan injured, plus the form of Symonds, Clarke and the newbies like Katich and Hussey, it will be interesting what they do.

Three certainties are our top three - Symonds sits comfy at number 4.

Anonymous

Juniors
My God why on Earth would anyone want to move the no.1 openor in the world to the middle order, and put a flash-in-the pan like Symonds up there!

Geeeez get some perspective people!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Sound OK to me, to at least try it.

This type of thinking is what got Sri Lanka off the bottom of the ladder and helped them win a world cup.

He's a better option than Craig McDermett. That experiment did not work.

It is a bit hit and miss, but the form Roy is in at the moment, it could be worth a try, but not in the finals.

Maybe in India or SL.

Dingle

Juniors
I've thought of this option before but it always get's easily dismissed. Hayden and gilchrist are the perfect openers. There is no need to change that. I think symonds should bat at 4. THis mean he will come in with wickets in hand and can play his natural live-wire game!

Rustay

Juniors
Marytn's average as opener was over 180 in five innings, or something like that. He had done well there in the past, so they thought it might have got him back into some form #-o

aussies1st

Staff member
i feel the side is fine as it is as if we have a mini collaspe like Sunday then we have Symonds to stable the ship and maybe counter attack.

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
After watching Hayden yesterday during the 2nd final I will have to say yes he is our best option at opening. If they are resting an opener then maybe give him a shot.

Symonds was devastating yesterday at the lower middle order and finished off the innings fantastically. I am just glad he got a bat.

Anonymous

Juniors
Both Hayden and Symonds were beyond outstanding yesterday playing in the proper positions. With form like that, why would you want to change it?

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
Earl said:
Both Hayden and Symonds were beyond outstanding yesterday playing in the proper positions. With form like that, why would you want to change it?

I just said that Hayden is the better option

SirShire

First Grade
Leave Symonds were he is - he rips it up from there. We have a stable top order ATM, and when Marto starts getting some more runs it will be perfect, especially with back up available from Harvey, Lee and Dizzy - none are strangers with the bat.