What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tabata

Snoochies

First Grade
Got introduced to it last night. Was possibly one of the hardest 20 minutes of my life. I only did 4 rounds as I was stuffed lol.

So what does a basic Tabata training design look like?

Any exercise can be incorporated into the Tabata training. However the basic outline of the Tabata training method are as follows:
• 4 minutes long (whole Tabata Session)
• 20 seconds of intense training
• 10 seconds of rest
• Total of 8 sessions or rounds

My 4 exercises I did last night were:

Pushups
Jumping Squats
Burpees
Reverse Lunges

Joker's Wild

Coach
I use the Tabata system in a lot of my HIIT training. You have to be careful about the amount of weight you use for bar/dumbell exercises as you can fatigue too quickly across the 4min cycle if you go too heavy

Other great exercises I like to use are:

1 arm dumbell snatch
Golblet squats
Box jumps
Rows

Snoochies

First Grade
Yeah I have seen the amount of variant programs that can be done. I'm doing Tough Mudder in 4 weeks so stuck with the body weight exercises to hopefully replicate the event somewhat.

Tabata seems similar to complexes which I have done before with a barbell. Be good after an actual weights session.

RHCP

Bench
I love BB complexes for HIIT, still haven't nutted up and done any tabata yet.

Cliffhanger

Coach
The more I've studied anatomy and exercise phys, the less "core work" I include in my program.

I do hanging leg raisers and that's it now. Your anterior core muscles all compress the abdomen, the rectus abdominis also flexes the trunk, but I don't think this needs to be train as it's not good for your spine and most people already spend too much time in trunk flexion.

The best thing you can do to build a strong core is to do compound exercises with good technique. If you can squat over 100 kg with good technique, you don't need to be getting on the floor doing crunches or v-snaps etc.

The one I really don't get is people doing 100 pushups and then following it up with plank.

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
Got introduced to it last night. Was possibly one of the hardest 20 minutes of my life. I only did 4 rounds as I was stuffed lol.

Any exercise can be incorporated into the Tabata training. However the basic outline of the Tabata training method are as follows:
? 4 minutes long (whole Tabata Session)
? 20 seconds of intense training
? 10 seconds of rest
? Total of 8 sessions or rounds

Pushups
Jumping Squats
Burpees
Reverse Lunges

Sounds a bit like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVRDcGT37Ys <---give it a try, good fun.

shaggs

Coach
The more I've studied anatomy and exercise phys, the less "core work" I include in my program.

I do hanging leg raisers and that's it now. Your anterior core muscles all compress the abdomen, the rectus abdominis also flexes the trunk, but I don't think this needs to be train as it's not good for your spine and most people already spend too much time in trunk flexion.

The best thing you can do to build a strong core is to do compound exercises with good technique. If you can squat over 100 kg with good technique, you don't need to be getting on the floor doing crunches or v-snaps etc.

The one I really don't get is people doing 100 pushups and then following it up with plank.

I'm with you on this cliffy.

Barely if ever do any ab stuff. Neither does my wife and her strength coach.

LL4

Juniors

? 4 minutes long (whole Tabata Session)
? 20 seconds of intense training
? 10 seconds of rest
? Total of 8 sessions or rounds

Pushups
Jumping Squats
Burpees
Reverse Lunges

solid list