What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tackling technique

DeeJ

Bench
Hullo,

I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on tackling. I consider myself to be a decent defender when I am committed but I occasionally have trouble tackling front on. My main problem is when I go low around the midsection I often smash my head into the players hip and get stunned slightly with headaches occurring during the week.

Does anyone have tips with head placement and where exactly I should be 'aiming' for on the opposition? I don't want to become the next Dallas Johnson!

roopy

Referee
Ask Eddy.
3.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
use your shoulder instead of year head, that should get your head out of the way

haha

Juniors
There are two types of front on (one on one tackles), drive & block.
THE DRIVING TACKLE
when approaching attacker keep your body square, keep your eyes on target area (mid section). Dont bend to tackle to early, you need to get in close to attacker and dip late,when bending legs to tackle keep head up looking forward, if tackling with right shoulder your right foot should be in between attackers feet or as close as possible, your left foot forward at the right side of the attacker, your right shoulder driven into mid section, your right arm wrapped around the back of the attacker, your left hand behind attackers right leg just above knee.(your head should still be looking up and pressed against the right side of attacker hip area.)Lift attackers right leg with your left arm and drive forward by straightening your legs, you should land on top of the attacker.
Opposite positioning of feet, head, arms for left shoulder tackling.
THE BLOCK
Approach attacker the same way as the driving tackle.
Hit the same target area, with head and feet in the same position. The arms should be wrapped tightly around both of the attackers legs.
(keep head locked in tight to attacker hip area, chin up)
If tackling with right shoulder use attackers momentum and fall backwards and twist to your right (whilst still staying locked in tight and arms wrapped tight around defenders legs) so you end up on top of attacker and your head does not end up between the attacker and the ground.

The last couple of steps (for both styles) when approaching the attacker are the most important, when coming into the attacker shorten your stride, stay square, come in on a slight angle if possible and dip late.
Practise these techniques by using a friend or team mate, first by moving into the attacker from only two steps away walking and alternating shoulders, you can then increase the distance and pace as you become more confident. The next step is to get the attacker to start trying to evade you when you have mastered the technique.
There is also a smother tackle but I'll leave it for another time, hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ridders

Coach
When I played Rugby I was taught to plant your foot right in front of the ball carrier, go low and drive your shoulder right into their gut. That's obviously only for when the attacker is running right into you.

Chook Norris

First Grade
other times i apply the shoulder charge, to halt the attacker in their tracks, and proceed with a swift bear hug..

Dutchy

Immortal
DeeJ.. In the morning/midweek.... I will reply.

Am like the best f/e def ever

_snafu_

Immortal
If your hitting your head on the player, it sounds like your dipping too early and not watching the player you're tackling. More often than not, if someone sees this, then tey are more likely to change their run or run in a slightly different direction than you are expecting.

It is important to dip late and keep your eyes on the player you're tackling. Aim up with either the left or right shoulder.

Another thing I used to do is I would aim up with the shoulder which places my head on the otherside of the player's body from where cover defenders were most likely to join the tackle. This way you don't cop a knee or hip from a cover tackler.

Coaster

Bench
IMO the main thing about front line defense is energy transfer and aggression.

The faster you are moving into your target with your shoulder the safer you are regarding injuries, when you hear people say things like drive with your legs ect. what they mean is in that last moment before contact to push your energy forward to increase your momentum.

The player with the least momentum will feel the impact more, so be more aggressive.

To help keep your aggression, choose another forward in your team and start a contest, who can pull off the bigger tackles. Each good hit you make, make sure your buddy hears about it, scream it at him "did you see that?" "Try to beat it".

Before long most of your forwards will start to try and join the fray, become a pack and hunt the opposition like wild dogs. Defense can be a sport all of its own, let the fairies score the tries nothing gives more satisfaction then dominating another pack physically.

watatank

Coach
IMO the main thing about front line defense is energy transfer and aggression.

The faster you are moving into your target with your shoulder the safer you are regarding injuries, when you hear people say things like drive with your legs ect. what they mean is in that last moment before contact to push your energy forward to increase your momentum.

Yeah which is why players get taught to take short quick steps as they get closer.

There's not much I can add to this thread, other than things you should think about in defence. You should try and get into the habit of talking to the players to the immediate left and right of you and concentrate on staying with them as you move up in a line. Always point at the defender you are marking up on so you know who you are defending (esp. useful if you're tired), your teammates know (so they can mark up on the next bloke) and the opposition knows (puts fear into them).

Last edited:

DeeJ

Bench
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think a few of you nailed it on the timing thing. I tend to go low early and 'chase' the guy before I hit which resulted in the head clashes and missed tackles. Will definitely work on it in the future.

Red Bear

Referee
I always found the second method (haha's suggestions) much easier, but then im 5 ft 6-7 and 60 odd kilo's, i was never going to be the type to make big hits. Shoulder pads and tackling around the legs FTW

watatank

Coach
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think a few of you nailed it on the timing thing. I tend to go low early and 'chase' the guy before I hit which resulted in the head clashes and missed tackles. Will definitely work on it in the future.

If that's what you do just try keep your head up and you should be ok. Also if you can, try and stay on your opponent's inside shoulder at all times. That way if they try and put a step inside you they will run into your shoulder (if you're positioned correctly) and if they try and go around you, you should be able to cut them off (or someone else will).

What position do you play?

DeeJ

Bench
Mainly I play wing, fullback or center so I don't really do that much tackling at all, haha. I can play lock and maybe 5/8th though. It depends on the teams strengths and weaknesses.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
have confidence...too many blokes are stand offish when tackling, especially if the other team is better.