What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Takairangi (not) signed

Bench
We paid more for a player we don't need than the Titans were willing to pay for the same player who they need more than us.

So we don't need a centre,well that will do me.Simona and Lawrence are our lethal centres then.you can't get better than that,and our back up rampaging Keith Lulia has a broken neck,but hey we are well off for centres.
And hell,he is only 6 foot 4 and 106kg,so the little fella might be able to handle backrow and five eighth as well.
Also the Titans have Blair,Roberts and Tighe who play centre,so they don't need him more than us,and their backrow is even more congested,so that is wrong
http://www.nospam9/nrl/rugby-league/players/brad-takairangi/

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have Fine as a back up centre, but lets buy a shitload of slow outside backs and leave our young halves who are abysmal defenders, isolated & exploited because our backrowers are poor defenders.

Sure we'll continue to leak a shitload of points on the edge of the ruck on both sides, but at least we'll have some slow moving giant in the outside backs.

Cos it worked so well when Bodene played there.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
I think its obvious that we need outside backs. It was our biggest weakness this season.

Lets wait and see how he goes but buying and retaining outside backs has to be a priority.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, our biggest weakness was our backrowers. We had no depth there & the ones we had, bar fulton, were crap defenders or injured for almost the entirety of the season.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
signing two defensive backrowers is increasingly more imperative than another slow back.

We have Fine to cover the centres.

You should have a priority list, not just a list of discarded depth players that we will chase irrespective of their position.

Interesting signing. I thought we would have needed a hard working backrower but hey, I didn't think we would sign anyone for 2015

You do realise that Brad Takairangi is predominantly a backrower who can also play centre don't you? He wound up in the centres for the Titans more through necessity than anything else. He was playing in the backrow at the Roosters, but due to the glut of players my club had in that position which is why they released him to the Titans.

moller

Juniors
signing two defensive backrowers is increasingly more imperative than another slow back.

We have Fine to cover the centres.

You should have a priority list, not just a list of discarded depth players that we will chase irrespective of their position.

I agree re: the priority, but can't just sign players in order according to need, discounting all others until their slot comes along. We do need a centre, and Takairangi was available.
We're still in the market for backrowers, especially given B Thompson is a free agent.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I know he has been mentioned a few times but is Tom Symonds still up for grabs in 2015? He would be a very good pickup.

What about that centre at the Bunnies (Auva'a or something similar) is he available? Also a good pickup.

I just don't know if they have been signed for next year....

Bench
You do realise that Brad Takairangi is predominantly a backrower who can also play centre don't you? He wound up in the centres for the Titans more through necessity than anything else. He was playing in the backrow at the Roosters, but due to the glut of players my club had in that position which is why they released him to the Titans.

I do realise,but some are happy to ignore this so they can bag the club.

Titanic

First Grade
I for one was very unimpressed losing Takairangi ... he is indeed a backrow who plays right edge and although he needs a bit of work under a coach who knows how to coach defence he will be an asset for you guys ... he was certainly not the reason we finished so poorly.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree re: the priority, but can't just sign players in order according to need, discounting all others until their slot comes along. We do need a centre, and Takairangi was available.
We're still in the market for backrowers, especially given B Thompson is a free agent.

signing players for the sake of signing them is not smart.

We don't need another Bodene Thompson. We don't even need one Bodene Thompson.

We had the worst defence of all the teams this year and the clubs mentality is to buy attacking players.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I for one was very unimpressed losing Takairangi ... he is indeed a backrow who plays right edge and although he needs a bit of work under a coach who knows how to coach defence he will be an asset for you guys ... he was certainly not the reason we finished so poorly.

He is a good player and would be better served remaining at the Titans.

It's my opinion that he doesn't solve a glaringly massive issue we have, defence.

Bench
signing players for the sake of signing them is not smart.

We don't need another Bodene Thompson. We don't even need one Bodene Thompson.

We had the worst defence of all the teams this year and the clubs mentality is to buy attacking players.

Takairangi is a backrower,he also just happens to be a better centre than Lawrence,Fine and Simona,he is a better defender than Sirro,Sue and Gavet,so what is your problem,this Fensom backrower you want is available where.

Matchball

Bench
There must be an experienced forward somewhere.
Shame we didn't get Tariq Sims or someone similar.

We will struggle if We don't add forwards.