What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take the 2 points...or go for the try?

Mr. Shark

Juniors
Just keen to know your thoughts on this. I was brought up being told to always take the 2 points with the penalty- especially when you are ahead - rather than go for the try.

Some teams (Bulldogs) always seem to take the 2 points; even if they are ahead by 20 points!

What do you think?

Inferno

Coach
I'd take the 2, but only if it was from near the sideline. Seems Covell can't kick them from anywhere else...

McLovin

Staff member
Depends on the situation i guess. If my team was up by 6 i'd go for goal. If we where up by 8 i'd go for a try. There are alot more senarios than that obviously...

ghoti

Bench
As MC84 said, it's largely dependent on the situation. Commentators mention all the time about the decision made from a penalty in regards to the situation, but it's largely due to a feel of the game. A captain can judge the flow of the game and weight that up against the score and time and come up with a decision that is ultimately correct...but in saying that, it can be a coaching thing as well. Some coaches like their squad to take any points on offer, others will leave it to the captain to decide.

If you're ahead by 20 points, as you mentioned, then the penalty decision would depend on your opinion of the other side. Probably a better example would be 24 points...say there were 30 minutes left...does it feel to you that they could score 4 converted tries to level the scores? If you see a threat, take the 2. Every added try they have to score to win the game is a psychological blow.

A minor decision such as this can turn a game completely on it's head.

Card Shark

Immortal
Early in the game, always take the 2 i reckon. Eg...Dogs game. 2 points at the end of the game would have been handy.

Bundy

Juniors
IMO it most definately depends on the scenario. Captains should be aware of opposing teams stats. If you're playing a team that's renowned for putting on 3 tries late in the second half, or perhaps for just playing a better second half of football on average then you take whatever points you can get.
I'd like to hear Frenzy's thoughts on this. I seem to remember a semi heated thread after the Cowboys game (I think), where Frenzy commented on Dykes psychological boost to an out of form team by showing his confidence in them through his decision on whether or not to take the two points.

Macca

Coach
If you are 4 up, you take the 2

If you are 6 up, you take the 2

If you are 10 up, you take the 2

If you are 12 up, you take the 2

If you are 16 up, you take the 2

If you are 18 up, you take the 2

Anything else you go for the try.

It also depends on the position of the penalty.

carcharias

Immortal
Option 3

tell the ref if we don't score a try from the penalty then we will elect to go back and have a shot at goal.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
It's a situational decision. There needs to be no hard and fast rule. Like Bundy said you have to know your opposition as well. Know their kicker especially. Take the Bulldogs game for example. If Covell's missing every other kick, as he did that day, it's worth considering "make up" goals by taking penalty shots if the opportunity arises. You know El MAsri will get 80-90% of his attempts in most games. This day he didn't. In this same Bulldogs game, we were 5 tries to 4 with less than a minute to go. We lost by 8 in the end. El Magic kicked 3 penalty goals in that game. Made up for hi missed conversions. The game is about tries, preferably 6 point tries. You shouldn't lose games after scoring more tries IMO. How many games are lost by 2 points after a missed conversion?

Another consideration has to be how the team is travelling in a game. If it's one of those days when the team has dropsy I am dead against giving away 50 metres or more of field position. The chances are too high that an error will be made at or just after the kickoff. Invariably a team scores after such errors. That's why Dykes decision that day was brave. 15 minutes to go, not playing particularly well and the penalty didn't put the game out of reach. It did become a "makeup" goal though as both kickers missed a conversion each.

It's a game by game, play be play thing in the end though.

Latest posts