What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take this with a grain of salt but...

Dave Q

Coach
Willow said:
He has come up through the system. Most supporters who get along to curtain raisers would have noticed his competitive passion well before he joined first grade. I was once worried about his temper but he seems to have honed that well.

I was once worried about Lowe's temper...

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Soward would play 1/2 for me ahead of Head and I'd put a running 5/8 in (Whoever that may be).

Soward, in my opinion, has the same stature and playing style as Thurston.

Dave Q

Coach
Drew-Sta said:
Soward would play 1/2 for me ahead of Head and I'd put a running 5/8 in (Whoever that may be).

He's the business, thats for sure.

This Year?

Immortal
Drew-Sta said:

He definitely would be a good prospect for the future. I haven't seen much of him personally, but I've heard he's good. The thing he would have going for him is that he would get a lot more 1st grade experience here than at the Roosters.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Provided he works on his tackling, he'll come good and is an exciting player. Saw him tear apart some team in 2004 for the PL FG.

Will be a great buy if we get him and he isn't damaged goods so to speak (Mentally f**ked, not physically). Brown will no doubt destroy his game though.

This Year?

Immortal
Drew-Sta said:
Provided he works on his tackling, he'll come good and is an exciting player. Saw him tear apart some team in 2004 for the PL FG.

Will be a great buy if we get him and he isn't damaged goods so to speak (Mentally f**ked, not physically). Brown will no doubt destroy his game though.

I always wondered why players go better at other clubs after they leave us.

RedV6

Juniors
We could afford him if we are letting McDougal go and we structure the contract at the back end

Interesting at the fan day today all the players were applauded but it ewas very quite when McDougal was named

Dave Q

Coach
This Year? said:
I always wondered why players go better at other clubs after they leave us.

This is a universal observation.

Imagine how the doggies feel about Thurston. Thats counselling stuff. The best player in the world right now...easily.

And who could forget my local side, the mighty Panthers, selling a Kangaroo for the price of three hotdogs to the Shire-dwellers(Stapo).

Worth a thread of its own that issue.

Back to Soward, I heard he was feilding rah rah offers earlier, so I bet youve coughed up for him.

But as players go, he's worth a choke or a gag, or two.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/soward-keen-for-switch/2007/05/27/1180205079217.html

Soward keen for switch

Greg Prichard | May 28, 2007
Jamie Soward's manager, Sam Ayoub, says the Sydney Roosters halfback is likely to switch to St George Illawarra this week, provided the Roosters management agrees to let him out of his contract.
Ayoub said the halfback was still not happy with his situation at the Roosters, despite his surprise promotion to first grade for their win over Cronulla on Saturday night. Soward was not originally named in the team.
"I would imagine the fact Jamie was brought back into the team is an indication that the Roosters want to keep him," Ayoub said. "But he was pretty unhappy with the way he had been treated before that, and I don't know that playing on Saturday night will change things.
"Jamie felt ignored and neglected. He got dropped to the club's part-time squad early in the season and didn't think that was justified."
Ayoub said his discussions with the Dragons had gone a fair way towards arranging a new club for Soward, if he is free to go.
"I had some discussions with the Roosters, and I was given the OK to at least talk to other clubs about Jamie," Ayoub said.
"I've talked to [Dragons coach] Nathan Brown about him, and they're very interested. We've discussed terms, but there are still a couple of things that need to be done before a switch could happen. I expect to be talking to Nathan again very soon."
The Herald understands St George Illawarra may need to offload a player to another club to free up space under the salary cap to sign Soward, who played well when brought in over the top of selected halfback Mitchell Pearce against the Sharks. He had a hand in both Roosters tries as they came back from 12-0 down to win 13-12.

ozzie

Bench
forget it guys - why should we pay for a player to leave our club? Considering he is contracted to the end of 2008 it isn;t going to happen. Very soon he will be playing half, Pearce 5/8 and Anasta lock. Funny that it was also reported that Caban said "he did not know where the rumours started as he hadn't been spoken to by anyone" Gutter journalism at its best no doubt...the telegraph is only good for one thing because it doesn't burn to well. Also why would the club elevate him to first grade if tey are reportedly letting him go this week?

Wobbygong

First Grade
Ozzie,

Mate it's very likely to happen, Canavan has confirmed they are considering releasing him. I would say O'Meley has put you blokes over the cap well and truly for next season.

The whole reason behind the MacDougall to be released story was so they could work Soward in. The story is Soward doesn't want to be a the roosters, so they're not stupid enough to keep someone who doesn't want to be there any longer.

Best thing is the Roosters will be paying for a part of his deal at the dragons.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
What about rangi chase? has he been given a go at halfback for the reserves or is he soley being looked at as a hooker. From what I've seen of him he provides a bit of spark on attack.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
ozzie said:
forget it guys - why should we pay for a player to leave our club?
It happens quite often - a number of NRL clubs have released players mid-contract.
ozzie said:
Considering he is contracted to the end of 2008 it isn;t going to happen.
Well are Easts the only club that doesn't release players then?
As I said, it happens all the time.

Saints (for example ) have a couple of players who are playing elsewhere but part of their salary is being met by St George.

ozzie said:
Very soon he will be playing half, Pearce 5/8 and Anasta lock. Funny that it was also reported that Caban said "he did not know where the rumours started as he hadn't been spoken to by anyone"
Depends when he said it. Got a source for that? It could have said been before he knew.

ozzie said:
Gutter journalism at its best no doubt...the telegraph is only good for one thing because it doesn't burn to well.
It was an article from the Sydney Morning Herald.

There are quotes from Sam Ayoub in the article. Have they fabricated the quotes?

ozzie said:
Also why would the club elevate him to first grade if tey are reportedly letting him go this week?
It was mentioned in the article that he had also been dropped to the part time squad. Is that correct? If so, that's a more telling fact then being a late inclusion in first grade last weekend.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Dave Q said:
This is a universal observation.

Imagine how the doggies feel about Thurston. Thats counselling stuff. The best player in the world right now...easily.

And who could forget my local side, the mighty Panthers, selling a Kangaroo for the price of three hotdogs to the Shire-dwellers(Stapo).

Worth a thread of its own that issue.

Back to Soward, I heard he was feilding rah rah offers earlier, so I bet youve coughed up for him.

But as players go, he's worth a choke or a gag, or two.

Thurston was 'moved on' due to allegations he was involved in the rape scandal. Most players allegedly involved in that problem were 'moved on' - Oliver, Scott, Thurston were all names thrown about and are no longer at the club.

Stapo went to England before coming back to Australia I think, so I don't believe you could hold Penrith responsible for that.

Soward is fielding offers from Rah Rah, but I'd say a full time gig in the NRL and the current form of the Wallabies will keep him in League and hopefully at the Dragons.

ledzep

Bench
I'm a Roosters fan, and have seen a lot of Soward play, so trust me, you're getting a very good player if the rumours are true
He's worked on his defence a lot over the last year or so, and it's not really an issue now.
His kicking game is second to none and he's got a great pass as well.
I'm mightily pissed off at how the Roosters have treated him

Wobbygong

First Grade
One positive note for the Roosters is while they might be losing Soward they are more likely to retain Wing now regardless of what the ARU are doing.

OVP

Coach
Good luck at your new club Jamie. You are a very special player, far too good for the World's Dumbest Club to recognise. I know the Dragons will treat you well, they appreciate talent.

f**k you Canavan you joke. I hope you toast on the fires of Hell !! Thanks for bringing back the Transit Lounge, turd.