What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talakai

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I would like to discuss this young man because last night I felt that at least 3 tries were his fault. When you're a centre and the halves play the ball deep which is exactly what Brisbane were doing you don't rush in to make the tackle like that especially when you don't have James Roberts speed. Moga completely outplayed talakai last night and exposed his defence for what it was. I don't want to completely blow up at him because it's not fair on him as a young player but him and Jennings grab at air when they defend.

On a positive note his ball running is extremely dangerous. He makes a lot of metres as well. When he puts his head down and runs hard his an exact replica of Konrad Hurrel. He has so much potential this young kid but does he work on his defence in reserve grade? Is it better to put burns on the wing and hunt in the centre?

callmack1

Staff member
I agree that Talaki has heaps of potential. His attacking game is awesome, reminds me of Hurrell like you say.

But for mine, his defence is just not good enough atm. I stress the atm part. Move Hunt back to centre, Burns on the wing.

Once Talaki has his defence sorted he'll be right.

alien

Referee
I would like to discuss this young man because last night I felt that at least 3 tries were his fault. When you're a centre and the halves play the ball deep which is exactly what Brisbane were doing you don't rush in to make the tackle like that especially when you don't have James Roberts speed. Moga completely outplayed talakai last night and exposed his defence for what it was. I don't want to completely blow up at him because it's not fair on him as a young player but him and Jennings grab at air when they defend.

On a positive note his ball running is extremely dangerous. He makes a lot of metres as well. When he puts his head down and runs hard his an exact replica of Konrad Hurrel. He has so much potential this young kid but does he work on his defence in reserve grade? Is it better to put burns on the wing and hunt in the centre?

It's was obvious even before this game that his defense wasn't first grade level. When I looked at the team list I had a feeling we'd be fine in the forwards but that our big weakness was our defense out wide (Talakai and Jennings). Jennings was better. Talakai is only young so he will probably improve, but he can't be kept in first grade because we'll lose too many games waiting for that to happen. He should be dropped to NSW Cup until his defense is much better. I think Fuimaono should get a chance in the centres.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I agree that Talaki has heaps of potential. His attacking game is awesome, reminds me of Hurrell like you say.

But for mine, his defence is just not good enough atm. I stress the atm part. Move Hunt back to centre, Burns on the wing.

Once Talaki has his defence sorted he'll be right.
Burns wouldn't have been up to it on Oates. Madge couldn't play Burns as his confidence would hit the biggest low.

Talakai ran the ball hard and gave his all but sadly his defence isn't up to it!!!!!!

On another note I thought Bryson was strong and our best back!!!!!

rabbitohs95

Bench
Anyone else think that Burns and Talakai should be in the Bears and Hunt and Moceidreke be our right side?

alien

Referee
Anyone else think that Burns and Talakai should be in the Bears and Hunt and Moceidreke be our right side?

I think Talakai and Moceidreke should both be in the NSW Cup. I wouldn't mind trying Burns in the centers, but not on the wing.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
It's not their fault. The NYC is literally an attacking fest. It's not taught in the lower grades to defend at the NRL level. Talakai, burns and Jennings are all learning that the hard way.

alien

Referee
It's not their fault. The NYC is literally an attacking fest. It's not taught in the lower grades to defend at the NRL level. Talakai, burns and Jennings are all learning that the hard way.

Some youngsters go from Under 20's to first grade too quickly. Some players need to spend more time in reserve grade (NSW Cup).

themacemaceman

Juniors
For me I'd like to see Goodwin replace Talakai in the centres and and Burns come onto the wing.
Goodwin has always been very good defensively in the centres and it's obviously our weakest area defensively right now.

greg jay

Juniors

Hymel Hunt returned to action and guess what?? Smiths Crisps should have scored THIRTY. In their previous 4 games SANS Hunt [and Gray} The Crisps averaged a paltry 12 ppg. That will not be your Grandmother!!! Yes Hunt has flaws but he is STRONG and can make a break and he can set up TDs.

Latest posts