What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talent identification - clearly lacking

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Here is a list of players that Jason Taylor recruited at the start of the season

Ins: Matt Ballin (Manly Sea Eagles), Jack Littlejohn (Manly Sea Eagles), Michael Chee-Kam (Manly Sea Eagles), Jesse Parahi (rugby union), Justin Hunt (St George Illawarra Dragons), Jordan Rankin (Hull FC), Josh Addo-Carr (Cronulla Sharks), Joel Edwards (Canberra Raiders), Rod Griffin (Ipswich Jets), William McConnachie (Ipswich Jets), Josh Aloai (Parramatta Eels)

When the dust settles on the season I think these names are a key reason why we won't play finals. You could make an exception for who Aloai has played every game but I feel he's pretty slow and immobile for an edge player. Maybe he needs more time? I find it pretty confusing that Taylor would sign someone like Chee-Kam or Addo-Carr then not play them especially when it's been very hard to watch Rankin drop bombs most weeks.

There was confusion about our top 25 back in March to the point that the club website listed something like 34 players at that time. I supported that in principle because I thought it would create competition for spots. That didn't happen. We lost 6 games in row, suffered relatively few injuries during that time and picked the same side loss after loss. We have seen half a dozen players move on mid year including McConnachie, Drinkwater, Buchanan, Liolevave, Parahi and Fine.

The point I want to make is that there is confusion in the clubs recruitment strategies and I fear it could hold us back during the next 5 years in what should be a golden era for the club. Tedesco, Moses and Brooks are all off contract. If those guys are going to hang around then better decisions around talent identification need to be made, starting this summer. The Farah situation is obviously an elephant in the room but that is a discussion for another post.

Tiger05

First Grade
I disagree. I think the biggest problem was and I think that this has changed but Taylor's gameplans and the youth in our squad.

The Robbie issue has been terribly handled as well but I don't see it as a critical reason for another failed season.

macnaz

Staff member
Useless f**ks like Rankin , Lovett and Milone taking up space in our 25 squad says it all .

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
McDonnell has a history of signing players who are off contract.

Not because they fit a requirement at the club. Just because he needs to look useful so he just signs random players.

This year was one of his worst.

From the very outset I never understood why we signed Rankin. I too was against Ballin, because he was signed for no reason other than to push Farah out, which is an insult to both Rankin and Farah, but more importantly, it forced Cherrington out of the club.

It now means that instead of Liddle playing behind Cherrington for a year or two, he now looks set to be the starting hooker after playing just half an hour of NRL. That's absurd.

Aloiai is too slow for the back row. Taylor should be there instead with someone like Ava, Grant or Sue at Lock.

Jordan Grant should have been blooded this year. We need better back rowers too.

Naiqama is good in attack, but his woefullness in defence completely nullifies his attack. Either put him on the wing or dump him.

Rankin is not NRL standard

We need a goalkicker that can kick around 70% at least.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I didn't know McDonnell was still around.

Whoever is ultimately responsible you've got to wonder why guys like Edwards are picked up
http://www.nrl.com/tiger-ends-19-month-nrl-hiatus/tabid/10874/newsid/94809/default.aspx

Canberra punt him with two years left on his contract. WT drag him off the scrapheap and offer up a 2 year deal. What about his effort in falling off Merrin for that try on Friday...

I think Cherrington will play first grade for 10 years. He reminds me a lot of Farah in his early days.

I hope Ballin takes a "medical retirement" and we can scrap his 2017 payment from the cap as well. Other clubs have got it away with it http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3705128/knights-have-funds-to-fill-mcmanus-vacancy/

I didn't know McDonnell was still around.

Whoever is ultimately responsible you've got to wonder why guys like Edwards are picked up
http://www.nrl.com/tiger-ends-19-month-nrl-hiatus/tabid/10874/newsid/94809/default.aspx

Canberra punt him with two years left on his contract. WT drag him off the scrapheap and offer up a 2 year deal. What about his effort in falling off Merrin for that try on Friday...

I think Cherrington will play first grade for 10 years. He reminds me a lot of Farah in his early days.

I hope Ballin takes a "medical retirement" and we can scrap his 2017 payment from the cap as well. Other clubs have got it away with it http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3705128/knights-have-funds-to-fill-mcmanus-vacancy/

You're kidding yourself if you think we'll get away with the Watmough manoeuvre. We'd be the one club they'd turn around and kybosh it on.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Didn't we have Takarangi signed or ready to sign and Taylor told him he didn't want him?

Yes Taylor said he didn't like his attitude at easts. We're paying a fair chunk of his salary at parra. To be fair Mayer signed him when we didn't have a coach for the following year which was ridiculous in hindsight.

I think the recruitments been passable. Both Grant and Taylor have been good additions. Aloiai has done everything expected of a 21 year old rookie. I think he'll be a longterm NRL player.

Rankin is a terrible one though, and to have kept him in first grade all this time is unforgiveable. What made it worse was watching Hunt carve up In nsw cup last week and then kick goals from the sideline.

What about young Siro, never a big fan myself but didn't they drop him to reserves and then extend his contract or was it the other way round?

macnaz

Staff member
Other way . But he had an option in his favour which he wisely took up.

Sirro has not lived up to expectations. Gave him a bit of leeway for a year or two due to his move to the second row. Even with the injuries he's not delivered on any of the promise he showed in the NYC. Very disappointing since he has such a large frame and could be a destructive ball runner with the right attitude.

I don't know if I am measuring him unfairly since his father was my favourite player growing up and I have sour grapes that he doesn't look like he'll reach the heights that Sirro Snr did.

dumpy

Juniors
Macnaz, he took up the option but i think they also extended his contract for another year. Do not know why as Siro is only a reserve grader,

Vic Mackey

Referee
Yeah Siro took up the option but basically all that did was ensure he's salary. I believe he is still being shopped around however he has now ensured that if released the Tigers will likely be paying a fair amount of his wage.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Wonder why Elijah Taylor hasn't been made an offer yet, been one of the best when he hasn't had to play hooker. Certainly offers more then Edwards..

Vic Mackey

Referee
Wonder why Elijah Taylor hasn't been made an offer yet, been one of the best when he hasn't had to play hooker. Certainly offers more then Edwards..

they want to keep him but need farah to go to offer him what he wants. it seriously wouldnt surprise me if farah is holding off going to another club to screw the tigers over for next year.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that'd more likely be a case of the Tigers screwing the Tigers over.

THis is the difference between a well run club and this one.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
they want to keep him but need farah to go to offer him what he wants. it seriously wouldnt surprise me if farah is holding off going to another club to screw the tigers over for next year.
I heard word that Farah was holding firm and intends on seeing out his contract with the view that Taylor won't be around in 2017.