What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

SaintPauli

Juniors
I believe Sims will replace Ben Creagh. Segeyaro would be a top signing
Adding both speed and unpredictable play which we NEED!

smacky

Juniors
Hopefully can get back to somewhere near his pre injury form. I guess we will wait and see.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Sims is tallish and that's it.

Sam Burgess has got him by 12 kgs and a few cms for God's sake.

Sims is no JWH ,Thaiday, Burgess (any of them), Kassiano, Woods, Tamou, Scott, Parker but to name a few.

He will only intimidate if he uses thuggery and that won't cut it at the judiciary.

JDB at prop how can that be?

He is another lightweight forward, who now thinks he is a 13 and a ball player to boot and thats by his own account.

We need a 7 above all other things and here we are buying more hac forwards.

If you are going to buy forward then for god sake get a real good one because we already have enough drones.

Sims is also costing us half the money (or less) those others you mentioned would command, excluding Thaiday. Agree with you on the halfback required.

BennyV

Referee
I'm the biggest critic of our recruitment and retention work, but anyone unhappy with Tariq Sims on $400k/year will never be happy with anything.

BennyV

Referee
Sims is tallish and that's it.

Sam Burgess has got him by 12 kgs and a few cms for God's sake.

Sims is no JWH ,Thaiday, Burgess (any of them), Kassiano, Woods, Tamou, Scott, Parker but to name a few.

He will only intimidate if he uses thuggery and that won't cut it at the judiciary.

JDB at prop how can that be?

He is another lightweight forward, who now thinks he is a 13 and a ball player to boot and thats by his own account.

We need a 7 above all other things and here we are buying more hac forwards.

If you are going to buy forward then for god sake get a real good one because we already have enough drones.

Dude, your meltdown is reaching Vasilevsky levels...

FlameThrower

Bench
our club is strapped for cash, this is a bang for buck signing. Someone rattled off a list of forwards that Sims can't be compared too. Majority either Origin or Internationals and alpha males of forwards. This looks like a prudent signing and factor in Ben Creagh may need to retire.
Having said that, really need to see Jacob Host get more game time to ease into FG, sooner rather than in 2018!!

RedVDragon

Juniors
Brown is a good coach that was not ready to coach a first grade side at 29. Ready now and you watch him build the knights.

Watching poor performances. He isn't a leader he is a follower so best he becomes an assistant to the assistants and I mean the secretaries of clubs that do a wonderful job.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
our club is strapped for cash, this is a bang for buck signing. Someone rattled off a list of forwards that Sims can't be compared too. Majority either Origin or Internationals and alpha males of forwards. This looks like a prudent signing and factor in Ben Creagh may need to retire.
Having said that, really need to see Jacob Host get more game time to ease into FG, sooner rather than in 2018!!

Jacob Host still needs to play NSW Cup the rest of 2016 .He will make it .No need to rush the kid.

Lancelot :cool:

borat

Bench
Newcastle Herald is reporting its upwards of 400k, but the real reason Sims has signed with the Dragons is that the Knights refused to offer a deal and instead wanted Sims to take up a 2017 option already in his contract. Sims wanted the surity of 3yrs and took the Dragons deal.

Sounds like we swooped in with the right offer at the right time

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
so where does he fit on our pecking order in terms of back rowers/locks?

1. Friz
2. Thommo
3. JDB
4. Matthews
5. Creagh
6. Marketo
7. Lui
8. McCarthy

i would say Sims would slot in at 3 or 4. If you sign someone who is better than at least half of the current players in the squad for that position it has to be a good thing...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Nailed it Benny. Whinging about Tariq for 400k is crazy. That is great business by the Red V. TRex at the Dogs is on 850k. Who would you rather have? On his day Tariq can be 1 of the best forwards on the park and hopefully those days will come back especially playing for the junior footy team he started with. He will be back to his best in no time.

Bennett got Packer and Tariq to Knights now they are at the Dragons. They can't be that bad for Bennett to want them at the Knights.

giboz71

First Grade
so where does he fit on our pecking order in terms of back rowers/locks?

1. Friz
2. Thommo
3. JDB
4. Matthews
5. Creagh
6. Marketo
7. Lui
8. McCarthy

i would say Sims would slot in at 3 or 4. If you sign someone who is better than at least half of the current players in the squad for that position it has to be a good thing...

Other than Thommo, there's no real enforcer in our pack. He's played a lone hand in this respect. Most of the others are solid and workman like. Hopefully, Sims can help out, (whilst staying on the park).

Most good packs have that guy(s), Blair at the Broncos, Tamou at the Cows, Klemmer and Graham at the Dogs, Burgess at the Rabbits, Tapau at Manly, Beau Scott at Parra.

We need someone to play that Jeremy Smith, Beau Scott role we had during our premiership run.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints are starting to get a pretty awesome pack of forwards. Throw in Masoe and it is up there with the best packs in the comp.

If Benji and Widdop get their act together we should see a huge improvement in attack. Get Demitriou involved and they will get their attack on track. Would love to know how much of a rolw Demitriou is playing in training the squad?

Country Dragon

Juniors
Saints are starting to get a pretty awesome pack of forwards. Throw in Masoe and it is up there with the best packs in the comp.

If Benji and Widdop get their act together we should see a huge improvement in attack. Get Demitriou involved and they will get their attack on track. Would love to know how much of a rolw Demitriou is playing in training the squad?

By the looks of things Demitriou isn't allowed to speak to the players, he needs to have more control over our attack!

Old Timer

Coach
Dude, your meltdown is reaching Vasilevsky levels...

Hardly having a melt down Benny V, just trying to repel the tsunami of bull shit about this signing.

As you are pro the signing, you see my stern push back as a melt down, so be it.

Maybe you can explain what Sims has done in the last 3 years to warrant all the applause and guffawing plus a straight up start in 1st grade?

As I said earlier he isn't that big, has judiciary form and is now at his 4th club in 7 years?

We signed Ikahihifu, MC Carthy, Lui, Havilli and they were lauded by many at the start of the year.

SI got no real play time at NRL and has left the club and Mc Carthy zip NRL time so were they good signings? Should Sims be ahead of Havilli and Mc Carthy in the pecking order?

In another post I listed a few names of real fire power forwards and someone has referred to them as alpha forwards which is a good analogy.

If we want an alpha forward, which would be a great idea, we just spent a hole heap of cap money on Sims.

Are you telling me Sims is substantially better than what we have or maybe you are telling me Sims is an alpha forward?

If so please enlighten us all.

IMO we keep shopping in the "value for money" basket and never get a top liner.

Many of you predicted a stomping, bashing and smashing, fire power, bending the line forward pack so what has happened that we need Sims?

Yes Creagh is injured but never an enforcer type and De Belin is injured and again hardly an enforcer but will be back and Masoe wasn't even guaranteed a 1st grade spot after a lengthy departure from NRL.

So in reality you people have no faith in Packer, Cooper, Ah Mau, Frizzel, Thompson, De Belin, Mc Carthy, Havilli, Lui, Host to get the job done and Sims single handedly is going to improve our lot.

Or maybe some see Sims signing as the bait to get a really impressive forward to join us, because their is no starch in what we have.