What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Still flabbergasted he is on 800k. IMO he plays front row all year as it is harder to hide and go to sleep in games.
At his best, Tariq is a great back rower - powerful runs and brutal defence. We saw it in SOO, but not often at club level. Does he still have it? Probably, but can he bring it week after week, and for longer periods of time? I hope so, but remain sceptical. Fingers crossed that he plays out of his skin in 2022 to try to earn a new contract.

Gareth67

First Grade
If he believes what he said in his last interview about next season , then he will have the opportunity of being a big part of it . Of course that is up to him , as Dennis Preston mentioned the man needs to give his all for the entire time he is on the field .

If he is able to do that and should our new recruits play to their potential then he could possibly find that Griffin may have a change of heart and offer him a 1 year extension.

For him to achieve this , then he must retire from rep footy and fully concentrate on giving his all to the Dragons. With Su’a , Molo , JDB and Burgess our pack is solid , add a fully committed Simms to that , then you have a very formidable forward pack indeed .

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting comments from Tariq. Obviously, the well dried up on the outside, as well as the thought of uprooting his family to elsewhere (ESL for example). Maybe the offers were lower for 2yrs than staying with us for 1 with the possibility of getting another in '23 (here or elsewhere at significantly less coin eg 200k or 300k for example. I'm ok with him staying, however, I think his time on the edge has come to an end.
This is also been recognised by the coaching staff and hence their pursuit of Niukore and Kikau.

So, for mine, Tariq moves to a middle forward role and possibly from the bench. I can see him used as a prop and/or lock.

If moved to the middle then our prop/lock situation (as it stands) looks like this.

Lawrie, Alvaro, JHunt*, Kerr, Maguire**, Faama, Molo, Burgess and Sims
* not sure where he is signed to ie top 30 or DS or even not at all.
** suspended

Starting props - (as it stands)
Molo & Lawrie

Bench props - (as it stands)
Burgess & Sims (Sims to cover both prop, lock and if needed can go to the edge forward role)

Edge forwards is another area to look at:
I'd have Sua definitely to start on the right with either Burns or Fui starting on the left, my preference is Burns with Fui taking the bench role.

Anyway just my opinion and it is as it stands now. Of course if we sign other players, this will change.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Interesting comments from Tariq. Obviously, the well dried up on the outside, as well as the thought of uprooting his family to elsewhere (ESL for example). Maybe the offers were lower for 2yrs than staying with us for 1 with the possibility of getting another in '23 (here or elsewhere at significantly less coin eg 200k or 300k for example. I'm ok with him staying, however, I think his time on the edge has come to an end.
This is also been recognised by the coaching staff and hence their pursuit of Niukore and Kikau.

So, for mine, Tariq moves to a middle forward role and possibly from the bench. I can see him used as a prop and/or lock.

If moved to the middle then our prop/lock situation (as it stands) looks like this.

** suspended

Molo & Lawrie

Burgess & Sims (Sims to cover both prop, lock and if needed can go to the edge forward role)

I'd have Sua definitely to start on the right with either Burns or Fui starting on the left, my preference is Burns with Fui taking the bench role.

Anyway just my opinion and it is as it stands now. Of course if we sign other players, this will change.
Agree with your comments regarding Simms to the bench; that’s not a put down; he’d be very effective there. I’d also have Burgess, Bird, MBye with Simms on the bench (strong bench) and keep recruiting for another Prop and Second Row.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

** suspended

Molo & Lawrie

Just an edit to this:
I forgot about Jack Bird. I would start Bird at left edge forward wirh either Burns or Fui from the bench.

8. Molo
9. Macca
10. Lawrie
11. Bird
12. Sua
13. JDB

14. Bud (but probably Mbye)
15. Sims
16. Burgess
17. Burns or Fui
I'd probablt go with Fui as the 17 as he provides cover at centre, lock, edge and can play some middle. I like Burns as a footballer, but his time will come soon enough i think.

As it stands right now.

epDragon62

First Grade
Just an edit to this:
I forgot about Jack Bird. I would start Bird at left edge forward wirh either Burns or Fui from the bench.

8. Molo
9. Macca
10. Lawrie
11. Bird
12. Sua
13. JDB

14. Bud (but probably Mbye)
15. Sims
16. Burgess
17. Burns or Fui
I'd probablt go with Fui as the 17 as he provides cover at centre, lock, edge and can play some middle. I like Burns as a footballer, but his time will come soon enough i think.

As it stands right now.
I'm not convinced by Bird in the second row unless off the bench. Size is important and he isn't big enough.

Illusion

Bench
Now they were the days possum ! Me and the gang used to sing that very song whilst we were waxing our boards at Bondi .

Shame that they were for display purposes only - too damn scared of the sharks and the odd bombora to get our feet wet . 😳
They were the days my friend we thought theyd never end ...... 😎😎

possm

Coach
Now they were the days possum ! Me and the gang used to sing that very song whilst we were waxing our boards at Bondi .

Shame that they were for display purposes only - too damn scared of the sharks and the odd bombora to get our feet wet . 😳
I lived in Fletcher Street Bondi from 1971 till I was married in 1978. Graet place for a young single guy to live in those days. Close to work at Victoria Barracks Paddington. Ah yes, those were the days, the Paddo Green and the nurses from the Women's hospital!

Gareth67

First Grade
I lived in Fletcher Street Bondi from 1971 till I was married in 1978. Graet place for a young single guy to live in those days. Close to work at Victoria Barracks Paddington. Ah yes, those were the days, the Paddo Green and the nurses from the Women's hospital!

They certainly were possum and by the sounds of it you had the best of both worlds , sport at the beach and recreation at Paddo , you lucky sod . 😉

ALSGI

Bench
Hey Possm,
I worked at Vic Barracks early 80’s. What did you do?

Latest posts