What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq's broken his leg

Didgi

COWBOYS young gun Tariq Sims' season is all but over after the boom forward received a suspected broken ankle in his side's gutsy come-from-behind 28-20 win over the Sharks at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

The Cowboys kept their top-four hopes alive with a spirited fightback, overturning a 14-6 half-time deficit to sneak home after teenage prop Jason Taumalolo and livewire Matt Bowen crossed in the final nine minutes.

But the drama-charged comeback was marred by the loss of Sims, who is unlikely to be seen again this year after being stretchered off in agony in the 31st minute.

The NRL rookie-of-the-year favourite had his left ankle crushed under the 102kg frame of Anthony Tupou and was rushed to Townsville General hospital last night with brother Ashton for scans.

The Cowboys copped a second bodyblow when lock Dallas Johnson was forced off with severe concussion after colliding with Kade Snowden's knee as the Sharks prop made a hit-up in the 49th minute.

Cowboys coach Neil Henry said the prospect of losing the explosive Sims for the upcoming finals series was a bitter blow.

"If it's a broken ankle it's six to eight weeks so that's his season," he said.

"If that's the prognosis, it's pretty shattering for us and for him."

While they were off-colour for most of the night, the crucial win snapped the Cowboys' three-match losing streak and will give them a much-needed confidence boost on the eve of the finals.

The hosts trailed 8-0 early, 14-6 at the break and looked in trouble when Cronulla hooker Paul Aiton crossed in the 65th minute to give the Sharks a 20-16 lead.

But the Cowboys held the nerve at the back end. Teenage prop Taumalolo posted his second try after crashing over in the 71st minute, before Bowen delivered the last rites with a try seconds from time.

It was also a momentous night for Cowboys co-captain Johnathan Thurston, who posted his 1001th career point when he landed the 71st minute conversion that edged his side clear.

"I'll certainly take it, it was pretty ugly, it was one of those games," Henry said.

"They certainly played like a team with nothing to lose and we played a bit nervous I thought.

"To our credit we made the plays when we needed to.

"One thing we did well is close out the game at the back end. That was a good way to finish what was a pretty ugly game, our completion rate kept us in the game.

"We need to be better in parts of our play but we'll take it. We have lost three in a row so this is good for our confidence. "

Thurston said the 21-year-old Sims, who has been a revelation in the pack, would be difficult to replace.

"He has been great for the club this year, he got a lot of confidence throughout the year and it's shattering if his season is over," he said.

"But it's good for us to get another two points and this keeps us in the top-four (race)."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-cronulla-sharks/story-e6frep5o-1226123566348

WarriorDefence

Juniors
Damn felt sorry for him- Theres not many Aussie players I Iike but he's one- just a wrecking ball. Feel for u guys too, it's a huge loss. And lastly I feel for me- I put money on a warrior/ cowboy final in the off season and this won't help.
Hopefully he comes back just as strong- wish him all the best

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
It's his Tib and Fib.
Crappy injury, hopefully his rehab is nice and steady.
It's just rotten luck, he needs to keep his head up and be positive, he'll be back.

Ianc

Juniors
I was at the game & was truly stunned. What was worse when I saw it on telly, that was hard to watch, can't imagine what it would have been like to go through it.

Then I went on the game day thread & saw some of the comments by some posters on there. It made me wonder what those people are made, shameful!!

ceagle

Bench
The NRL rookie-of-the-year favourite had his left ankle crushed under the 102kg frame of Anthony Tupou and was rushed to Townsville General hospital last night with brother Ashton for scans.
Wat?

Charlie124

First Grade
theres reports coming out that he aims to be back in round 26 and into the finals. reason his recovery was so long last time was because it was end of season and the docs wanted it to heal more naturally, which takes more time.

ceagle

Bench
It will be tough for him to be back this year, his conditioning will be really poor after spending so much time in a cast. Hope he does it though.

Charlie124

First Grade
im not too concerned about seeing him back this year, i was just interested to see the report that it was even on the cards, thought i wouldnt be seeing him till next year for certain. Having said that, if his op and recovery go well, it would be great to see him play a part in the finals provided we make it from here.

Charlie124

First Grade
These have been freak injuries that could have happened to anyone, and besides, if he's playing as well as Tate when he's as old as Tate, ill be more than happy with that provided he's still on our books.

Noa

First Grade
Interesting to see in the Big League the Sims mother looks Indian. Has to be a market to be tapped there.

PS. Sister has a smokin body too

Didgi

Interesting to see in the Big League the Sims mother looks Indian. Has to be a market to be tapped there.

PS. Sister has a smokin body too

The boys have Fijian heritage, could well be where it comes from.

Post pics shorty :p

In other news Tariq continues working in the community, and recovery is coming along well.

Shorty

Staff member
2426590029_56fda71ca2.jpg

Ruan, Sims sister.
She's played for Australia with Rugby (Rugby looks after their chick players WAYYYY better).

I tell you what, the Sims family would have to spend about a grand in groceries with these kids, they're all ginormous!

And here is Mumma Sims
00026258-leadimage.png

Last edited:

Latest posts