What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Tax gouging puts our game at risk' - Gould

nqboy

First Grade
LINK
Phil Gould | March 23, 2008

NSW Labor could well be remembered as the government that presided over the demise of rugby league as we know it in this state. The money-grabbing and unreasonable poker machine taxes imposed on clubs are starting to detrimentally affect the club industry - as predicted by anyone with half a brain when these poorly constructed taxes were first mentioned.

All NSW clubs rely heavily on poker machine profits to maintain employment and community-based projects, and these services have been hit hard by these taxes. For the major rugby league clubs, who pay the bulk of these exorbitant imposts, these taxes are a burden they cannot afford. Leagues club grants to NRL programs and junior associations have been hit hard, with even more cuts on the way.

The professional game is not just responsible for entertainment. It employs thousands of people and there are even more people working in other businesses who deal directly with rugby league as a buyer of their goods and services. These people are also about to feel the flow-on effect of these trade-restricting taxes.

The professional league is also responsible for making enough income to keep all the other levels of the game alive in this country. The thousands of volunteers who work tirelessly in country and junior rugby league areas are about to be faced with even less funding than the meagre handouts they already receive.

It is my understanding that these major rugby league clubs are facing a financial crisis unless something is done to ease the pressure. Already the grants to many programs are being cut significantly at a time our game requires more funding to develop and compete with other codes.

Our game is already hamstrung, it doesn't maximise its return from broadcasting and media rights because it is owned by a media company. Sponsorship dollars are even harder to come by with such fierce competition from rival codes and new forms of media. While we were promised years ago that pay TV would end the need for funding from clubs and poker machine income, the truth remains that licensed clubs are still the major and vital source of revenue for most rugby league teams in this state. This makes it all the more disappointing that the current NRL bosses did little to support the NSW club industry when it was campaigning against the implementation of these taxes several years ago.

With a cashed-up AFL pushing their message into heartland areas, rugby league is becoming powerless to compete, and it appears neither the State Government nor the NRL owners is acting with any urgency to tackle this problem.

I understand that the major leagues clubs in NSW are facing massive profit reductions as a result of the State Government's latest blood-sucking exercise. In a desperate bid to raise funds after years of poor decision-making, it tapped into the lifeblood of the hospitality industry and drained it for every cent it could.

Those responsible for formulating these taxes showed their ignorance of the industry by imposing this tax on the gross profits earned from poker machine receipts, rather than the more commonsense approach of taxing the total net operating profit of the club itself. This represents a significant difference, as any first-year accountancy student would tell you.

When it was pointed out that poker-machine profit was not the same as club profit and that wages, expenses, costs, maintenance, club improvements and the cost of their community and charity-based projects had to be deducted from poker-machine revenue before any profit should be taxed, the Government went pale. It could see the error in its calculations but already had the money spent, so pushed on regardless.

It justified its stance by pointing to investigations and allegations surrounding two of our major leagues clubs that funds were being misused. Its attitude was that the clubs were mismanaging all this money, so the Government should take it and mismanage it its own way!

It's amazing to think that the NSW clubs have been so targeted by the Government's money-grabbing exercise when the privately owned hotels have escaped scrutiny. While the club industry supports the community with significant funding, the poker machine profits enjoyed by the individual hotel operators are being spent on cars, penthouses and lavish holidays. It makes no sense. Or maybe the hotel industry shows its gratitude to the Government in less visible ways.

The ban on smokers in clubs and the poker machine taxes have had a dramatic effect on club profits. The club industry provides so much for our communities but these impositions are significantly restricting its ability to service members' needs.

Community-based programs and charities have already been hard hit. In time, the clubs will not be able to meet the demands of the millions who rely on the hospitality industry for employment, trade or simply as an important part of their social and family lives. For league fans, our game faces severe financial shortages that will only become more serious over the coming seasons. The NRL is not budgeting for any significant increase in revenue for at least the next five years. Brilliant management right there!

The large leagues clubs are facing huge reductions in profit levels and in some cases even increased losses. Several clubs are about to post negative results for the last financial year. All this when the game faces its greatest challenges and with more youngsters looking at professional sport as a potential career path.

This is not to mention the difficulty our hard-working volunteers in the field face with decreasing financial support coming from local clubs. Something needs to be done.

Fairly typical Goose article. Bleat, bleat, bleat, from someone's else's song-sheet and provide no solutions. The points he makes are worth of discussion but they are someone else's points.

This Year?

Immortal
Clubs need to find revenue raising exercises other than poker machines.....surely Phil Gould has the intelligence to understand that.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
This Year? said:
Clubs need to find revenue raising exercises other than poker machines.....surely Phil Gould has the intelligence to understand that.

I said the same thing in the Parra forum about Fitzy whinging. Yes labour are a bunch of wankers, however how silly are clubs if they're just to rely on pokies for profit.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Its easy to say that you need to replace the revenue, but how and with what? Since people bag Gus on not giving solutions, how about you do?

I dont know any ways that would be as effective as Poker Machines.

This Year?

Immortal
I am not a CEO...that's what they get paid to do. I think NRL clubs should market themselves better for a start.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Its easy to say that you need to replace the revenue, but how and with what? Since people bag Gus on not giving solutions, how about you do?

Property!

Check out what Balmain have planned for their club, this is the way of the future for clubs. This will make them get off their ar**s.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
LeagueXIII said:
Property!

Check out what Balmain have planned for their club, this is the way of the future for clubs. This will make them get off their ar**s.

You seen interest rates letely?

ozzie

Bench
I cannot understand how privately owned pubs get away from paying the tax. The money they raise is theirs and theirs alone.

Clubs who spend money on Community based events and things like medical equipment such fibulators etc for the local ambulance services as well as providing cash for the local health services, will have to cut down on the money provided. I'm sorry but a lot of services will suffer.

Ask yourself, is it fair that pubs don'y pay the tax. Why aren't pubs paying the tax. In Sydney some of the bigger pubs are owned by very influencial people and don't care two hoots for anything except their own pocket.

For example - our local club calls for requests for local services/ Last year they provided funds for the local bush fire services etc. How much from the pubs - nil because their community imput is the least of their problems.

The tax should have been across the board. As a member of a club you receive annually a financial statement . When have you seen one from the local pub?

ali

Bench
1 Eyed TEZZA said:

Give International footy the proper support it deserves and watch the sport as a whole become more popular. If RL grows more internationally, then the world's strongest League will reap the most benefits!

bobmar28

Bench
Gus Gould is spot on. Bob Carr and Michael Egan had something against licensed clubs and rugby league. I heard Egan say (referring to the income from pokies) "what are they going to spend it on, another water feature?". How ignorant.

My daughter was in little athletics at the time and the whole thing was run by volunteers out of a shipping container next to the amenities block at the field. However none of it would have been possible without the help of our local club which picked up much of the cost. That's what they spend it on Michael Egan. That and things like junior rugby league. Many of the local juniors clubs around here are subsidised by Wests Tigers leagues club. I'm assuming that some of that is being cut back now.

Brycey

Juniors
When are the NSW elections? NSW clubs should be forming their own committee and start getting political.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Some football clubs might finally realise what it has been like trying to survive without a LC grant ala Souths since about 1970.

I'm not buying all this doom and gloom. Football clubs have to do more.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Lets form a political party called the pokie party.

They could promise to put pokies in schools, hospitals hell anywhere to maximise profits for pokie owners. Then we would never run out of money for rugby league. Sure lots of money would be gouged out of the community but hey at least our league team would be safe.

I think it is fantastic that pokies take so much cash from the community.

In fact the pokie party could have a public hloiday once a fortnight so the population can spend more time in leagues clubs that are already open 24/7 and spend even more money there.

Munky

Coach
So our game is heavily reliant on the social ills of pokies and smoking.

Is Gould trying to claim some moral high ground here? Or am I missing something?

adamkungl

Immortal
Clubs do have to do more. But personally I have no problem with idiots of society pouring their cash into pokies to support footy.

In-goal

Bench
I have the answer, get people to attend the matches plain and simple.

Ensure clubs strive for more than easy pokie money, move the clubs out of crappy suburban grounds.

ibeme

First Grade
I'd prefer that pokies were never invented, let alone have the financial links that they do with our game. If these increased taxes meant getting rid of them, or even reducing them, then I wouldn't be opposed to them. They aren't doing that though. It's simply shifting the profits towards government revenue to compensate for their own financial mismanagement. It does nothing to remove their negative impact on the community. I'm not much of a gambler, but I know that this is simply a money grab on the government's part, and for me it's a question of who do I trust more with that money.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
I know this sounds far fetched, but could there be a chance the AFL have bribed the NSW govnmt into bringing in this pokie tax to destroy League? Just an idea.

Brycey

Juniors
Not really KR, there looks as though there will be a roll on effect and the Federal Government will be implementing laws to further restrict pokies, AFL clubs will soon feel the burn.