What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor decides not to Wing it for first round

craig_wing_wideweb__470x336,0.jpg
In doubt .. Craig Wing.
Photo: Getty Images

Rabbitohs star stays in cotton wool as Taylor decides not to Wing it for first round

Greg Prichard | February 26, 2009

SOUTH SYDNEY's Craig Wing is not likely to return from injury before the second round of the premiership season.
Rabbitohs coach Jason Taylor said Wing would not undertake full training until the week before the first-round clash with Sydney Roosters at the SFS on March 15 and that he would be unlikely to risk him in that game on such a short preparation.
"Craig has been gradually building up in training and he looks good, but he's had three operations - ankle, hip and hernia - and I want to give him all the time he needs to recover and get ready to play," Taylor said.
"I'll assess him again in the week leading up to the first round but he would have to have a massive week to convince me he was ready to play. He's had a tough run with injury since he came to the club, so we're not going to take any risks with him. We need 'Wingy' for the long run.
"He obviously hasn't played in any of the trials but we all know what he can do and he's the sort of player who comes to hand quickly anyway, condition-wise. It won't be long before he's back."
Wing missed more than half of last season when he was controversially hit from behind in a tackle in a first-round game against the Roosters, damaging his shoulder.
Taylor said utility back Beau Champion and forwards Michael Greenfield and Kane Cleal - all of whom, like Wing, were left out of the team for Saturday night's Charity Shield game against St George Illawarra because of injury - were also in doubt for the opening round.
Champion would likely have been one of the starting centres against the Roosters and his injury has opened the door for Shaune Corrigan and Jamie Simpson to fight it out for that spot. Corrigan will start against the Dragons, while Simpson will come off the bench. "Jamie will spend some of Saturday's game in the centres, so I'll be able to have a look at both of them and make a decision leading up to the game against the Roosters," Taylor said.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/rabbitohs-star-in-doubt/2009/02/25/1235237740603.html