What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor vs McGregor

slippery5

Juniors
Interesting to see how a team can perform & the commitment they are willing to put in, based on personality & character. It appears this is the first thing you have to have in order with support from your assistants. Meninga himself says he's not much of a coach but he has those around him & most importantly, the love of the players. The same obviously could not be said for Jason Taylor.

BennyV

Referee
Jason Taylor has a brilliant tactical mind and understanding of the intricacies of Rugby League. He can dissect a game and focus on the strengths/weaknesses of teams to figure out how to beat them.

Unfortunately, he has the interpersonal skills of a rusty park bench, so hard to see him ever making it as a head coach!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Jason Taylor has a brilliant tactical mind and understanding of the intricacies of Rugby League. He can dissect a game and focus on the strengths/weaknesses of teams to figure out how to beat them.

Unfortunately, he has the interpersonal skills of a rusty park bench, so hard to see him ever making it as a head coach!

I was going to say the precisely the same thing but you've hit it on the head.

possm

Coach
We currently have a coach who's duties have been stripped to a bare minimum just to help him cope. Then we have Mary's game plan stripped to a bare minimum just so the players can buy into it.

Lord please, give us a new top line coach for 2018.

gitano

Juniors
We currently have a coach who's duties have been stripped to a bare minimum just to help him cope. Then we have Mary's game plan stripped to a bare minimum just so the players can buy into it.

I like our game plans. They are simple but suit our personnel. We don't have the quickest backline, our strength is our pack. Our style of play is excellent for the squad we have.

By creating an environment where everyone is buying in, where everyone is tight (which it definitely seems is the case) Mary is doing his job.

He's handed some control over to the players, which is actually a sign of strong leadership. I wouldn't swap Jowls for anyone at this point in time.

The Doc

Juniors

I remember reading an article that said mary would spend upto 16-17 hours a day on team commitments.
From analysing juniors, to current players, to this, to that, to whats involved with the first grade team.
All he should be doing is coaching the team. Which he is.
There is a recruitment guy there for a reason.
There is a junior development officer there for a reason.
A coach should coach.
If he sees weaknesses in the team, in certain positions, let the recruitment and retention personel handle that.
Give his opinion on the type of player he wants, and let the guys responsible for that aspect do there thing.
To imply that minimising duties outside of coaching the team indicates mary is a shit coach, well then, what can i say besides look at the table.
As every week passes he is showing that he is doing something right.
No one needs to say he is a super coach, cause he isnt.
But id say at least acknowledge the fact that he can coach.
Give him the credit when the credit is due at least.

Crush

Coach

What is it that you want? Do you want to be winning games of football and have a good shot at playing finals? Because that is what you have right now.
Or do you want a supossed top line coach that you can be proud of?
Given our squad, our team is playing outstanding football and all of the players are praising the coach.
Ex-players are praising the coach.
Other coaches are praising the coach.
Seriously, I don't understand it anymore.
It would be like saying please of please sack lafai and give us a top line centre. Based on the fact that last year he was shit.....

Country Dragon

Juniors
He's handed some control over to the players, which is actually a sign of strong leadership. I wouldn't swap Jowls for anyone at this point in time
I wouldn't go so far as to say anyone, but definitely not Taylor under any circumstance!

Minh

First Grade
At this point in time Mary is doing a terrific job and it is quite clear he has the respect of the players so the job is more than half done......I don't know what they've put in the water but to be sitting first with the best attack and points differential after 7 rounds is nothing short of remarkable however good teams play their best footy at the back end of the season and I hope we are one of those teams.....

JDHD

Juniors
Jason Taylor apparently has an incredible football brain. The problem is that he comes across as a conniving little shit who you just know is talking shit about you behind your back.

possm

Coach
Mary has had his job description altered to suit his limitations. So right now the bourdon is heavily on the shoulders of the players, in particular on our forward pack. I'd say their workload is very heavy but while ever they're winning, fit and confident, they'll bare the load.

However, once the opposition coaches devise plans to combat our plan, or when our forwards feel the burn, we will become vulnerable. The difference between Mary and a top line coach is that the load would be spread between a power plan for the forwards and a well designed plan engaging the strike power of our backline.

The common theme on this forum leading up to the game against the Cowboys was that our forwards would roll up the middle and our backs would ride on their coat-tails. Well it did not happen that way this time and more often it won't happen that way. We have good strike power in our backline and as our forwards begin to tire, the load will spread more evenly to our backs.

I'm not saying that our forward power should not be used, I'm saying that right from the beginning our backline talent should have been more cleverly used to lessen the load. Only in this way would a repeat of the 2015 season be avoided.

What has been revealed this season is that we have the cattle. With the normal annual roster changes we have improved the cattle. What's been missing is a clever coach who can identify the strengths, weaknesses and skill-set of his squad and devise plans to get the most of his team. In addition, by the Club stripping away all other duties other than 'coaching the team', the head coach no longer has delegate the day to day duties of recruitment / pathways purely relying on advice from this vital area, he instead has to live with decisions made by Millward which may not be in line with his own thinking. Remember, Millward is not accountable for the performance of the team even though he influences the make up of the squad.

A good coach would be able to take advice and man manage his staff.
A good coach would be able to devise plans to suit each game with the whole season in mind.
A good coach would want to manage the playing roster in a fashion where the best possible side is selected each week.
A good coach would have an eye to the near and mid-term development of players in his squad.

slippery5

Juniors
I hated Mary b4 round 1 & I still would like him to slowly introduce Field & Mann more, (Now that Milne is obviously not going to be considered). If he can introduce this into his coaching, than maybe he go to the next level. I just remember when he was water boy for Price watching him horse whip himself as he was chasing one of our players running down the sideline for a try. Little things like that are for the club/team & not for himself. I'm just trying to say, whatever is happening & who ever is giving tactics, the players are happy & I don't think they would swap him for anyone. Lets forgive his past pathetic coaching ideas….Luvs ya all. Lovers or Haters

Life's Good

Coach
Mary has had his job description altered to suit his limitations. So right now the bourdon is heavily on the shoulders of the players, in particular on our forward pack. I'd say their workload is very heavy but while ever they're winning, fit and confident, they'll bare the load.

However, once the opposition coaches devise plans to combat our plan, or when our forwards feel the burn, we will become vulnerable. The difference between Mary and a top line coach is that the load would be spread between a power plan for the forwards and a well designed plan engaging the strike power of our backline.

The common theme on this forum leading up to the game against the Cowboys was that our forwards would roll up the middle and our backs would ride on their coat-tails. Well it did not happen that way this time and more often it won't happen that way. We have good strike power in our backline and as our forwards begin to tire, the load will spread more evenly to our backs.

I'm not saying that our forward power should not be used, I'm saying that right from the beginning our backline talent should have been more cleverly used to lessen the load. Only in this way would a repeat of the 2015 season be avoided.

What has been revealed this season is that we have the cattle. With the normal annual roster changes we have improved the cattle. What's been missing is a clever coach who can identify the strengths, weaknesses and skill-set of his squad and devise plans to get the most of his team. In addition, by the Club stripping away all other duties other than 'coaching the team', the head coach no longer has delegate the day to day duties of recruitment / pathways purely relying on advice from this vital area, he instead has to live with decisions made by Millward which may not be in line with his own thinking. Remember, Millward is not accountable for the performance of the team even though he influences the make up of the squad.

A good coach would be able to take advice and man manage his staff.
A good coach would be able to devise plans to suit each game with the whole season in mind.
A good coach would want to manage the playing roster in a fashion where the best possible side is selected each week.
A good coach would have an eye to the near and mid-term development of players in his squad.
A good coach would have a team performing well and winning games. Mary has us leading the comp. What does that say.

I am afraid your argument just doesn't stack up. Hiding behind 'he has had his duties stripped away' etc. doesn't wash when most coaches rely on support in one way shape or form. Also, you yourself commented prior that you were managing director of several companies so with that in mind I imagine you had to relinquish duties to effectively run your business. Isnt this the same as Mary??

Whether he is resigned or not is up to me but I am a realist that sees he will likely be given an extension as there are no better options for us and for him.

OzDragon

Coach

Well based off that, he'd make a great assistant coach.

possm

Coach
A good coach would have a team performing well and winning games. Mary has us leading the comp. What does that say.

I am afraid your argument just doesn't stack up. Hiding behind 'he has had his duties stripped away' etc. doesn't wash when most coaches rely on support in one way shape or form. Also, you yourself commented prior that you were managing director of several companies so with that in mind I imagine you had to relinquish duties to effectively run your business. Isnt this the same as Mary??

Whether he is resigned or not is up to me but I am a realist that sees he will likely be given an extension as there are no better options for us and for him.
Not so, I was always the boss and the person who it would cost hard earned profit if things went wrong however, I hire good clever people who were given authority to make every day decisions up to a certain level, after that approval was sought and advice given to support the request. The buck always stopped at me and I was in the end the only one who really suffered is things went wrong.

In Mary's case, his answer for a player who is consistently below form would be, 'I didn't recruit him and he's all I have at the moment'. Or, 'I wanted to let him go and was forced to keep him' etc.

I can imagine the line ' the boys went really well this year, beyond expectations. We will have Hunt next year and although we have lost Dugan to the Roosters and Widdop to the Storm, we have very able replacements in Nightingale and Field'.

Life's Good

Coach
Not so, I was always the boss and the person who it would cost hard earned profit if things went wrong however, I hire good clever people who were given authority to make every day decisions up to a certain level, after that approval was sought and advice given to support the request. The buck always stopped at me and I was in the end the only one who really suffered is things went wrong.

In Mary's case, his answer for a player who is consistently below form would be, 'I didn't recruit him and he's all I have at the moment'. Or, 'I wanted to let him go and was forced to keep him' etc.

I can imagine the line ' the boys went really well this year, beyond expectations. We will have Hunt next year and although we have lost Dugan to the Roosters and Widdop to the Storm, we have very able replacements in Nightingale and Field'.
I would have liked Cleary so I am far from a Mary apologist. With respect to your reply I guess we could win the comp but a few poor losses, not resigning some players etc. would still count against Mary. Tough crowd.

Out of curiosity, of the reputable, available/off contract coaches, who would you sign??

giboz71

First Grade
Well based off that, he'd make a great assistant coach.

Well he helped the Roosters win a title in 2013.

I'd love Taylor to have an assistant role with us, especially if Mary stays on as head coach. Think he can do wonders with Hunt, Widdop, Field and co.