What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teaching tackling to 8 year olds

bigwal

Juniors
Hey guys.

Ive started coaching this year the under 8 division 2 rugby league team in the canterbury bankstown district. I probabaly understand i have been given the weaker players and all the good players are in the under 8 division 1 team.
Only reason im coaching is because the coach from last year left and there was no-one else to coach, so seeing my son was also in the team i thought i would give it a shot.

Problem is alot of these kids cant seem to know how to make a rugby tackle.On game days you got same 3-4 boys tackling and the rest just stand there like statues.

Ive gone through alot of youtube clips etc and picked up some good tips but what im teaching them is not been practiced on game days.

At the moment what im looking at if anybody knows such a person with tackling or wrestling experience to come to my training session and teach the boys right ways of tackling.

I would be happy to pay for there services.

Or if anyone has any advice, videos or tips on how to teach kid right tackling techniques.

Thank you.

Joely01

Bench
Hey Bigwal.

I can get you in contact with the coach of the team i help train, (its an under 10s team) but he has coached them for a few years now.
He has helped the kids a lot, and had the same issues you are having now in terms of teaching the kids the right tackling techniques etc

gUt

Coach
coathanger.jpg

Butto

Juniors
Tennis balls in their hands so they cannot grab and they will eventually use the shoulders. Will take a while. Good luck

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
An A-team and a B-team in under8s is f*cked up....

(But on topic):

On game days you got same 3-4 boys tackling and the rest just stand there like statues.

Back when i was a trainer for my little cousins team, i always found this to be the biggest problem. You can teach technique and encourage them to get involved, but on such a small field its so easy for 2 or 3 great little players to do everything. And the others will either get pushed out of the way or feel like they should just leave it for the better players.

Id always make the coach bring all the best players off at the same time!!!

The rest were forced to get involved and arent intimidated by no being the best in the team; you intentionally change the hierarchy so all your players have a chance to build their confidence.

Proper technique only really comes in the u13/14, when they hit puberty and get a bit stronger in the shoulders. Until then, you should just focus on shaping the way they think when they approach a game.

You'll lose a lot of game, but in u8 who gives a shit...

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Hey Bigwal.

I can get you in contact with the coach of the team i help train, (its an under 10s team) but he has coached them for a few years now.
He has helped the kids a lot, and had the same issues you are having now in terms of teaching the kids the right tackling techniques etc

Can you cc Anthony Milford on the email.

fourplay

Juniors
Hey mate, forget about all the wrestle/wrapping up the ball stuff for under 8's. Technique wise, you want to teach them the fundamentals of tackling first such as the classic low tackle around the legs or a little higher around the hips, but use terminology they can relate to, such as put your head to the side then "lasoo their legs like a cowboy" or "hug them like a bear" for the higher up tackle, even for around the hips.

But even more importantly is to build each kids confidence in themselves such that they are willing to attempt to perform a tackle in a game. They won't even attempt what you show them if they arn't confident in their ability. And that comes from you encouraging each child individually, even if you are "lieing", tell them that they are great tacklers.

When a player tackles the bag, even if you think it's poor, say "wow you're a great tackler" "where did you learn to tackle so good?" If you can do that, they will go around trying to tackle everything they can because you have in a way tricked them into believing they are great tacklers, and it is that which will actually enable them to become great tacklers.

Trust me when I say this, the greatest thing you can do for them as a coach, will be to build each players individual confidence. If you can do that, you will make a great coach for them.

An A-team and a B-team in under8s is f*cked up....
Like you said, if you mix the superstar kids with lesser ability players the superstars do literally everything and the lesser players stand around just watching. So it is actually a more inclusive strategy to split up the squads based on skill level.

Last edited:

no name

Coach
'Cheek to cheek' is the best advice to give kids learning to tackle. Cheek of tacklers face to end up near the butt cheek of the attacker.
Brings the shoulder into play and the last thing you want is a kid knocked out.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Hey guys.

Ive started coaching this year the under 8 division 2 rugby league team in the canterbury bankstown district. I probabaly understand i have been given the weaker players and all the good players are in the under 8 division 1 team.
Only reason im coaching is because the coach from last year left and there was no-one else to coach, so seeing my son was also in the team i thought i would give it a shot.

Problem is alot of these kids cant seem to know how to make a rugby tackle.On game days you got same 3-4 boys tackling and the rest just stand there like statues.

Ive gone through alot of youtube clips etc and picked up some good tips but what im teaching them is not been practiced on game days.

At the moment what im looking at if anybody knows such a person with tackling or wrestling experience to come to my training session and teach the boys right ways of tackling.

Or if anyone has any advice, videos or tips on how to teach kid right tackling techniques.

Thank you.

Dude, some drills for you.

http://www.kellyvillebushrangers.com.au/infocentre/AnimatedDrills/Tackling.html

innsaneink

Referee
Its rare to get a dozen 8 year olds that are all good tacklers...a few of them will have fear, they'll be frozen when the ball runners coming to them and the advantage of pushing up is lost...the ones with little confidence can be helped I think with one on one side on tackling practice
Find a T junction on the field (sideline and 20m or half way wherever...have ball runners taking the ball from the dummy half and follow the sideline at 70% pace...have the defenders wait on the 20m and get them to chase and tackle so its a side-on, behind talckle, getting shoulders in tight around the waist butt are and head behind
Both sides left and right
Increase pace and angle so its more front on when they improve, increasing it to two on one - one low then the second guy higher

TheDMC

Bench
Some good advice.

Most important IMO as someone who was a teacher and also once a very skinny kid scared of tackling (who later loved taking down dudes 20kg bigger).

ITS NOT ABOUT TECHNIQUE AT THAT AGE - KIDS WHO 'CAN'T' TACKLE MORE LIKELY 'WON'T' TACKLE BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T OVERCOME THEIR FEAR OF TACKLING.

As other's said, focus on building their confidence - once they realize a) they can tackle and b) even if it hurts, its okay - they will be away.

innsaneink

Referee
Surprisingly sometimes when they find out its OK if the player they tackled gets hurt, as long as they tackle properly...that can really be a defining moment as Ive seen a few times

Glen

Bench
Hey guys.

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum, Ricky

Latest posts