What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2009

Excellent try, no doubt. But it doesn't mean he deserves 400k, and it doesn't mean he should cost us the likes of Robbo and Williams. On top of that, he is indisputably a diver and therefore a cheat, and it's clear that he is full of himself.

He can score as many great Origin tries as he likes, it would just be better if the team mates he went back to for Club games didn't wear Blue & Gold.

pazzaeel

Juniors
1. Hayne
2. Reddy
3. Tautai
4. Inu
5. ??
6. Keating
7. Hodkinson
8. Cayless
9. Keating
10. Paulo
11. Hindmarsh
12. Hauraki
13. Mateo

14. Finch
15. Cordoba
16. Moi Moi
17. ??

Last edited:

pazzaeel

Juniors
here's a tip...think about what your typing. ;-)

Stagger, you should know all to well by now that i hardly ever think before i type. But i'll be sure to take that tip on board.

lucablight

First Grade
Tautai is really underrated. Everytime he has played he has been amongst the top metre gainers on the field.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Tautai is really underrated. Everytime he has played he has been amongst the top metre gainers on the field.

I actually think he's a better player after he'd been dropped than before...he now realises that he shouldn't be expecting a call up every week, his attitude has vastly improved since the early rounds.

I've been very impressed with him.

ParraAds

Juniors
At this stage of his career, Jarryd Hayne:

1. Is probably the best winger in the world.
2. Top 3 fullbacks in the comp (based on his last 5 games at fullback)
4. Not a great centre.

Stagger eel

Staff member

4. Not a great centre.

I disagree big time...at this point in time, he wouldn't be able to tie up Inglis, Slater, Stewart, Hodgson, Bowan, Minichello and pattern's shoelaces as a fullback....no way!

ParraAds

Juniors
6 of the 7 you mention there have the advantage in that, they actually PLAY fullback for their respective clubs.

I would say that consistently Stewart and Slater have been as good as Jarryd in the past couple of seasons, but I think if he played there week in week out he's easily as talented, strong, reliable etc as those two.

ParraAds

Juniors
1. Hayne
2. Reddy
3. Inu
4. Smith
5. Grothe
6. Mateo
7. Finch
8. Cayless
9. Keating
10. Paulo
11. Hindmarsh
12. Hauraki
13. Oake

14. K Keating
15. Cordoba
16. Moimoi
17. Mannah

Stagger eel

Staff member
6 of the 7 you mention there have the advantage in that, they actually PLAY fullback for their respective clubs.

I would say that consistently Stewart and Slater have been as good as Jarryd in the past couple of seasons, but I think if he played there week in week out he's easily as talented, strong, reliable etc as those two.

I think you're severly overating Jarryd, but that's just me...

caylo

Bench

4. Not a great centre.

I liked Hayne at fullback but my friends have a saying "Smith is a log". Benny is good defencivly, and i'm unsure about him in the centres.
Grothe needs to be let go IMO, Reddy is a solid winger and Burt I would keep for the moment and play Hayne in the centres depending on who we sign and kept, if Burt was released I would play Hayne at fullback, but with Burt here Hayne needs to play in the centres (who has not been to bad when he sees some ball... I think will be a dominating centre IMO)

Burt
Etu/(sign someone?)
Inu
Hayne
Reddy
Keating
Finch
Cayless
Keating
Cordoba
Hindmarsh
Hauraki
Mateo

Tautai/Mitchell/ (T.Williams??)
Mannah
Paulo
Fuifui

Parraren

Bench
Whilst i think that this year will still be a great year, i am still confident that next year will be a great year too. My side, as it stands, with signings, and probable re-signings. I think all the doomsdayers saying that next year will be a *&^* year, are a little off the mark. There is a real good mix of youth and experience there. Feleti Mateo will be an absolute superstar by this time next year, if he isnt already. He is the first matchwinner at the eels since Jason Smith.

1. Burt
2. Reddy
3. Hayne
4. Inu
5. Grothe
6. Mateo
7. Keating K
8. Cayless
9. Keating M
10. Paulo
11. Hindmarsh
12. Hauraki
13. Ben Smith

14. Finch
15. Moi Moi
16. Cordoba
17. Mannah T

Others to be considered.

Tautai, Reddy, Oake, Hodgkinson, Mortimer, Baumann, Mitchell, Galuvao, Lowrie, Maloney, Latimore, Wright, Etu.

Lots of depth. Sorry if i have forgotten anyone.

I admire your enthusiasm newmanj but I see 2 significant problems with that group of players.

1. Grothe - I think he's on a big downward slide and should have been let go to union when they were chasing him last year.

2. Ben Smith - I don't think he'll make a successful transition to the 2nd row

Of course I hope i'm proved wrong....

I agree with you on Mateo though - he's showing signs he could be anything. I'm excited to see where he will be in 12 months time. I'd like to see him take over the captaincy from Cayless when he retires/leaves.

caylo

Bench
I admire your enthusiasm newmanj but I see 2 significant problems with that group of players.

1. Grothe - I think he's on a big downward slide and should have been let go to union when they were chasing him last year.

2. Ben Smith - I don't think he'll make a successful transition to the 2nd row

Of course I hope i'm proved wrong....

I agree with you on Mateo though - he's showing signs he could be anything. I'm excited to see where he will be in 12 months time. I'd like to see him take over the captaincy from Cayless when he retires/leaves.

That I will agree with, and I do like he work at 5-8... has one of the best running games in the NRL without a doubt, and if Finch improves his kicking game we will threaten for the comp IMO

I wouldn't mind seeing

1 Burt
2 Gardner
3 Inu
4 Hayne
5 Reddy
6 Mateo
7 Finch
8 Cayless
9 M.Keating
10 Mannah
11 Hindmarsh (middle!!!)
12 Cordoba (wide runner)
13 Hauraki (wide runner)

14 KK
15 Paulo
16 FuiFui
17 Oaky

Finch wont start on the bench, get Mateo to start at 5-8 and move him to lock and Keating to 5-8. He can play as an impact player after 30min to run at the tiring forwards... also wouldn't mind seeing that.

6 Mateo
7 Keating

In a few years when KK gets some experiance, but to throw him in the deep atm would be silly IMO he has alot of learning to do as a half still. But we have seen that 2 genuine halves dont work anymore, Keating can be our Cronk, Matt Keating our Smith and Mateo our Inglus...long shot but could work. Plus guys like Mitchell, Hodkinson and Mortimore in Jnr leagues we will lose some of those guys if we don't becarful

MuleEel

Juniors
HollywoodJesus, are you that dipstick that prounced around in an attention seeking outfit calling yourself Jesus???
Mate, thank Allah you are not in charge of recruitment at our club. Your one of the worst judges of a rugby league player I have ever heard from.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
In a few years when KK gets some experiance, but to throw him in the deep atm would be silly IMO he has alot of learning to do as a half still.

At the moment he is in a form slump that I think has to do with his brief encounter with NRL. Since he has been back in the NYC, he has gone himself almost every play and this has had a detrimental effect on the side.

caylo

Bench
At the moment he is in a form slump that I think has to do with his brief encounter with NRL. Since he has been back in the NYC, he has gone himself almost every play and this has had a detrimental effect on the side.

I see him very similar to Cronk style of player, good all round game. He has a good kicking game, esp long kicking game. I don't think he has the skill level of Smith with the boot or in hand, but with Mateo at 5-8, i think Keating would be a good fold.

He has a cool head, atm is probably trying to hard but this is what johns is for. Joey should be in his ear talking about how to control the game, that should be his job.

Like i said in the future i can see

6 Mateo
7 K. Keating

9 M. Keating

We have to remeber these players are still young. Guys liek Hayne, Inu, Mateo arn't experianced and still push passes sometimes. How can we expect keating to have the poise of a 10 year 200 game veteran.