What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for Cowboys game - Walsh dropped, Austin in.

franklin2323

Immortal
A rookie half is a lot different from a half thats played 100 games, the criticism should be a bit different for a little while atleast.

Walsh has always been a target ever since he came into the team. I am no fan but he's 80kgs he is never going to run the ball like he should. He not an NRL standard 7 doesn't mean EVERY Game he plays bad enough to be dropped

He was good in 2010 since then he has been poor though

Aside from Grant and McKendry who has been to that standard? Certainly not Jennings or Lewis. We haven't had the team balance right ever since then. Still don't

betcats

Referee
Um I don't disagree with any of that but I don't see what it has to do with my point.

A rookie making rookie mistakes should not be judged as harshly as a 100 games seasoned player making rookie mistakes. If Blake takes some wrong 5th tackle options against the cows it will be concerning, but not nearly as concerning as Walsh still taking the wrong options often.

franklin2323

Immortal
Um I don't disagree with any of that but I don't see what it has to do with my point.

A rookie making rookie mistakes should not be judged as harshly as a 100 games seasoned player making rookie mistakes. If Blake takes some wrong 5th tackle options against the cows it will be concerning, but not nearly as concerning as Walsh still taking the wrong options often.

Yeah but as I listed before here's 3 times he wasn't involved in the poor options

When we spread it on the 5th and Smith got tackled with it. If Smith passes that and we score it's great work from Walsh.
Walsh tackled on the 4th (He ran it for a change) the ball goes to Whare puts a kick out.
Late in the game Walsh puts Wes into a gap he drops it with line open.

The strip on the line was pretty poor though Austin did Similar on Monday.

The Titans had great linespeed. That with a shallow backline and limited ball players elsewhere in the team meant the bomb was the only option most times.

Like last year when Burns, Siejka or Austin was in the halves I don't expect much difference as we don't have the options around the halves.

As a whole we are ineffective. A shiny new 7 alone won't fix that

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Yeah but as I listed before here's 3 times he wasn't involved in the poor options

When we spread it on the 5th and Smith got tackled with it. If Smith passes that and we score it's great work from Walsh.
Walsh tackled on the 4th (He ran it for a change) the ball goes to Whare puts a kick out.
Late in the game Walsh puts Wes into a gap he drops it with line open.

The strip on the line was pretty poor though Austin did Similar on Monday.

The Titans had great linespeed. That with a shallow backline and limited ball players elsewhere in the team meant the bomb was the only option most times.

Like last year when Burns, Siejka or Austin was in the halves I don't expect much difference as we don't have the options around the halves.

As a whole we are ineffective. A shiny new 7 alone won't fix that

I see what you mean now, I kind of agree but at the same time if you put JT or Cooper Cronk in instead of Walsh then we beat probably the Tits, even if you go with a guy like DCE, we still probably win that game with the chances and ball on their line we had.

We have a pretty good forward pack to work behind for a half, we dont often get dominated by opposition forward packs imo and our backs while not too exciting are good at releiving pressure from the forwards coming off our line.

Im not expecting blake to completely fix this team, but I am expecting him to be a little more aggressive and dangerous with the ball, which will help the team massively.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
That's why we threw the kitchen sink at JT.

What annoys me get us too the halfway we throw Cutouts have players in movement and we look decent.

Put us inside the 20 it's sideways & kick. Not all Walsh plenty of poor play on the left from Humble/Coote as well. It would be atleast 20 times we go short to Brown when a pass behind him puts the winger in.

Until Sege comes on we either break the line inside our own half or kick as the only ways to score. These are the things sadly Austin can't fix though it's good to have no Walsh.

I remember the Dragons game at home last year. No Walsh had enough ball to win 5 games early on. We scored 2 tries. That was the perfect chance to be rid of him for good & it was the same get to the 20 Kick, kick & more kicks.

I don't know a person that rates Walsh. Yet the as I am always told 'great talent spotters' gus & Cleary both rate him our best option well til we buy someone.

Given this it's why we need Austin, Walsh & Humble all playing. Ideally Moylan too it gives 4 playmakers and allows Whare to be a strike centre.

rem286

Juniors
I hope they do not receive a pay check for that pathetic display. Absolute rubbish.

chrisD

Coach
Game was over before we ever got into it and almost everyone was terrible. Players who were not terrible, Brown, Mansour and the front row rotation. What little there is to take from the game, Whare can't be fullback, Kingston in the backrow should be shelved and Cleary needs to either change the up and in defence or get it functioning far better.

murraymob

Coach
thought Austin went alright .We got dominated in the forwards they rolled through us.They need to switch humble and austin around Give Austin room to move.

We have the worst center combination to play NRL.Sadly due to poor recruitment there are no replacements.By all reports Moylan was good again a Windsor he deserves his shot

franklin2323

Immortal
Sure was Murray.

Put Daniela over for our 1st try. 20 left we are down 16-12. 3rd tackle 20 out from our own line. He gets it steps runs it to inside 10 from scoring. Next tackle Nabuli in. Next set puts Robinson away down the left.

No errors at the back either.

Nealo 12

Bench
Game was gone after 10 mins...we are playing like someone made up a team of 17 strangers....a long year ahead I'm afraid.

abpanther

Staff member
The thing that frustrates me most is not necessarily the lack of playing talent, but the complete lack of attacking structure and the dumb options that our team continue to take.

To me that's a coaching issue

Copperhead

Juniors
The thing that frustrates me most is not necessarily the lack of playing talent, but the complete lack of attacking structure and the dumb options that our team continue to take.

To me that's a coaching issue

Our defensive structure's not too flash either.