What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday - Rnd 20 vs Panthers

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Paulo had an injury yet had three (3) shifts. He was replaced twice and had half time inbetween.
It's a great way to maximise his minutes. The total minutes aren't the problem, it's the number of consecutive minutes with no rest. Therefore three stints gives him an extra rest period. It's very smart and something I suggested here over a year ago:

I would improve the spine so we don't need to be as reliant on Paulo, then I would play him for shorter minutes. While he's on the field though, he would make a lot more carries. Maybe play him in three stints. I would also go with two safe defensive centres rather than requiring strike from either of them. I think we need more speed at fullback as well, just so he can get away from such heavy contact from the kick chase. A surrender tackle is better than being driven back by three middle forwards.

This is similar to how the biggest forwards were used during unlimited interchange. They would play 10-15 minutes, rest for 10 and so on for the whole game. Given the bench players can play all their minutes with a single interchange it's easy to give such an important forward as Paulo more rest periods and maximise his effective minutes.

hindy111

Post Whore
Cleary doesn't know how to use a bench?

I'll bet you $30 Staines doesn't play.

But either way they have minor premiership all but wrapped up. They can afford to get miles into players legs and just cruise win or lose.

We on the other hand could miss the top 8

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Plenty of times Lane and Papa seem spent at the back end of games. It’s not just me who sees this. But yeah what would we know we are just some shitty fans that don’t matter.
Lane sometimes seems spent after 20 minutes, like he did last weekend. But your question was how many times it has cost us. If he seems spent but we're the ones scoring the try then it doesn't matter does it?

Gronk

Staff member
I'll bet you $30 Staines doesn't play.

But either way they have minor premiership all but wrapped up. They can afford to get miles into players legs and just cruise win or lose.

We on the other hand could miss the top 8
Plenty on here don't understand that the 17th player sometimes is not used. Perhaps you can explain it to them.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Bòooooooo!
Doctor Who Reaction GIF

hindy111

Post Whore
Plenty on here don't understand that the 17th player sometimes is not used. Perhaps you can explain it to them.

Many years ago Bennet would often only use 15.
I see it as an advantage. Have 15 better players using up the salary cap and small minutes off a pair of plodders.
Rather then 4 ok players on bench and use all.

84 Baby

Referee
I see it as an advantage. Have 15 better players using up the salary cap and small minutes off a pair of plodders.
It makes sense in a single game. My problem with BAs seeming use is that it doesn’t need/probably shouldn’t be necessarily over a full season.
But then he’s also damned either way because simply he needs to win games and can’t afford to throw out numpties. But now most of the run on team are also playing like numpties

Incorrect

Coach
Plenty on here don't understand that the 17th player sometimes is not used.
That may be true but I think the more pertinent issue that "plenty on here" have is the benchies occupying those spots that aren't first grade standard or who are being picked ahead of players who have a track record of performing at a higher standard in first grade.

Incorrect

Coach
It makes sense in a single game. My problem with BAs seeming use is that it doesn’t need/probably shouldn’t be necessarily over a full season.
But then he’s also damned either way because simply he needs to win games and can’t afford to throw out numpties. But now most of the run on team are also playing like numpties
Well he could always pick Nrown ahead of Makatoa and not have worry about throwing on that particular numpty....

Gronk

Staff member
That may be true but I think the more pertinent issue that "plenty on here" have is the benchies occupying those spots that aren't first grade standard or who are being picked ahead of players who have a track record of performing at a higher standard in first grade.
Plenty on here would find your comment subjective.

Gronk

Staff member
Brian Smith played with 11 men vs Newcastle in 2002.

1658898186612.png

Latest posts