What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team List Tuesday - Sharks vs. The Off-Season

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
That will require a truly great off-season, considering that he would be playing an entirely different position…

Are you and Carina on to to your 3rd bottle?
No best three players in the game, every game, all year. Does not need to MoM, but in the top 3 of players.

Like Cameron Smith did for 400 games.

carinashark

First Grade
C’mon Carina I want a reponse…..
In Reply
i did consider Finucane at FB , but I’m not sure if he can catch a bomb. But Sifa can catch. And yes I just want to see a big guy smash an attacking players running the ball back . There is a lot more head room in Sifa, deft kick, soft pass plus’s power. I would love to see him come into that sweep play, he can pass or smash. I love Kennedy , but coaches know him now. Yes blue fox I’m now onto bottle 2.
I’m over Moylan time for Dykes.

carinashark

First Grade
I’m sill feeling the pain from that bloody Cowboys game. That part of the game when we went to sleep Was so us. Kennedy’s turnstile did not help. We may not have progressed further but we should have won that without all the over time stuff. Where was BB when we needed something in attack?
And Ozz_78. I have the best internet money can buy. Tell what you would do or are you happy with or style of play? We play soft, we have not mastered the super high uncatchable bomb. What’s the go with BHU and Hunt? I watched that Kiwi Interview show he was on where he talked about how angry he gets when an opposing player takes ‘his’ ground. Piss off or play like that. They seem to have about 10 min in in them each. Maybe we should be looking at Colquhoun, and Stone-street, at least they are new.
on the up side Iro ,Dykes, Kafusi will at least give us something new.
‘But dead wood is still holding us back, not just players.
Killed another Shiraz.

I’m sill feeling the pain from that bloody Cowboys game. That part of the game when we went to sleep Was so us. Kennedy’s turnstile did not help. We may not have progressed further but we should have won that without all the over time stuff. Where was BB when we needed something in attack?
And Ozz_78. I have the best internet money can buy. Tell what you would do or are you happy with or style of play? We play soft, we have not mastered the super high uncatchable bomb. What’s the go with BHU and Hunt? I watched that Kiwi Interview show he was on where he talked about how angry he gets when an opposing player takes ‘his’ ground. Piss off or play like that. They seem to have about 10 min in in them each. Maybe we should be looking at Colquhoun, and Stone-street, at least they are new.
on the up side Iro ,Dykes, Kafusi will at least give us something new.
‘But dead wood is still holding us back, not just players.
Killed another Shiraz.
I dont know how talakai would go when someone like Danial Tupou lept about 6 ft higher than he could contesting a bomb, but would be fun to see some of the out of the square ideas like this in the trials.

In Reply
i did consider Finucane at FB , but I’m not sure if he can catch a bomb. But Sifa can catch. And yes I just want to see a big guy smash an attacking players running the ball back . There is a lot more head room in Sifa, deft kick, soft pass plus’s power. I would love to see him come into that sweep play, he can pass or smash. I love Kennedy , but coaches know him now. Yes blue fox I’m now onto bottle 2.
I’m over Moylan time for Dykes.
Carina it's in the name mate!
Johnny rambo catches grenades.
he's got those bombs covered lol

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
From LU

The 2021 season saw the Sharks make the shock decision to dump their coach John Morris, who had performed admirably since taking over from banned Premiership winning coach Shane Flanagan at ridiculously short notice in early 2019.

The Sharks reached the finals, just, in 2019 and 2020 before Morris quit after seeing the writing on the wall early in 2021. The Sharks rallied late but a last round loss to Melbourne saw them drop out of the finals race.

Craig Fitzgibbon was named as his replacement while still working as an assistant coach at the Roosters in 2021, but promptly began making some roster changes, which had a huge and immediately positive impact on the club.

Many pundits believed the Sharks would continue sliding further down the ladder in 2022, but Fitzgibbon's chargers did quite the opposite, finishing second on the ladder behind eventual Premiers Penrith, in what can only be described as a brilliant debut season as coach.

The acquisition of Storm stars Dale Finucane and Nicho Hynes were brilliant and paid immediate dividends. Finucane's leadership and defensive strength made the Sharks middle rock solid in defence. Hynes took to the role of halfback like a Shark to water and finished the season as a clear Dally M medal winner.

Turning Point​

Round 12 - The Sharks loss to the Roosters in Round 12 was their 7th straight week where they followed up a win with a loss. The team had a bye the following week and used that time to sort out their defence and improve their consistency. They won all bar one of their remaining 12 regular season games, the solitary loss coming against Penrith. This run saw them rise from 7th on the ladder to 2nd.

What Worked​

Hynes at halfback. Hynes had played just 1 game as a halfback in the NRL prior to joining the Sharks, but he was so comfortable in the role from Round 1, that it undoubtedly put the minds of everyone at the club and fans alike, at rest. Hynes goal kicking was poor to start the season but was vastly improved and very reliable by the end of the year. He ended the year having scored 194 points, the 5th highest season tally for the Sharks since 1998.

What didn't work​

The Cameron McInnes tactic. McInnes played well all year, this isn't a criticism of his form. More about the role he had. He was mostly covering the lock role, but the Sharks had a wealth of forward depth, especially in the middle where McInnes played, that he wasn't really needed, especially given his size compared to the other forwards. He will almost certainly be a bench utility in 2023 at most.

Best Player

Nicho Hynes hands down was the Sharks best player in 2022, but he had a supporting cast who were all superb this year as well. Siosifa Talakai started the year as a bench forward but after 3 games he had to take up a role as a starting centre. So good was he, that he earnt a call up to the NSW State of Origin side. Ronaldo Mulitalo was outstanding again on the wing, while Matt Moylan turned back the clock and had one of his best seasons since departing the Panthers. His combination with Hynes developed quickly and proved to be very threatening all season long.

Rookies​

Kayal Iro made his NRL debut late in the season and finished the year representing the Cook Islands at the World Cup. Kade Dykes played two games at fullback and did not disappoint. Jesse Colquhoun and Thomas Hazelton also made solid starts to their NRL careers in 2022.

Looking Ahead​

The Sharks have made very few changes to their squad for 2023. Andrew Fifita and Aiden Tolman both retired while Luke Metcalf moved to the Warriors.

The Sharks have signed impressive young Eels forward Oregon Kaufusi.

2023 Best 17​

at the time of writing

1. William Kennedy
2. Sione Katoa
3. Jesse Ramien
4. Connor Tracey
5. Ronaldo Mulitalo
6. Matt Moylan
7. Nicho Hynes
8. Toby Rudolf
9. Blayke Brailey
10. Braden Hamlin-Uele