What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team List Tuesday vs Dragons 11 April @ 6:15pm

Gazzamatta

Coach
I've been called a bush lawyer. I reckon not much as it's been an ongoing thing. If it was a new injury like a broken back it might be different.
It appears he has passed the concussion protocols/doctors assessment 2 weeks in a row yet he withdraws at The Captains run. It sounds complicated which would be concerning when allocating blame/intent etc. This isn't looking good. It could have seriously damaged his confidence.

It appears he has passed the concussion protocols/doctors assessment 2 weeks in a row yet he withdraws at The Captains run. It sounds complicated which would be concerning when allocating blame/intent etc. This isn't looking good. It could have seriously damaged his confidence.
I think a few years ago there was a Wallabies player that seemed right to go but then during or after training would get headaches. Spent months I believe out. Not sure what happened to him.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Some serious questions need to be asked here - if this latest concussion results in the early end of the career of a fine player, then serious investigations need to be made into Felise Kaufusi.

Obviously, nothing will happen, because the NRL is run by spineless simpletons, who don't have a clue about what player welfare REALLY means - but if the NRL was a properly-run organisation, they would be extending Kaufusi's suspension, to really set an example that acts of thuggery will not be tolerated.

If the NRL was serious about player welfare, bellamy would not be allowed anywhere near the game. They don't care.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
And all the injuries from other sides get talked up but we have had close to a $1million of our cap on sidelines for most of the year (Jennings / matterson).

we could make a pretty decent improvement to our squad with Jennings contract.....

Happy MEel

First Grade
BA keeps mentioning “he wants to play” when asked about Matto. I find it a strange comment considering you would naturally think an NRL player wants to play footy every week. I think this latest head knock is really impacting him psychologically...understandable too.

T.S Quint

Coach
And some people were/are happy with Kaufusi's two week suspension. How is that a deterrent to what can result in this type of injury?

There is no way in the world that he would have followed through with his forearm/elbow as if Matterson had no head if he knew that the penalty was a 10+ week suspension.

Something tells me his tackle technique would have been totally different.

The two week suspension is a joke. I wish that a player would sue the NRL for not having strong deterrents and protections in place to prevent career and life altering foul play injuries. They deserve nothing less. Hopefully Mattereson is the litigious type and he does just that. With suspensions like that the NRL is just playing lip service to head trauma injuries.

Nothing like the threat of litigation to get them policing and charging players for foul play correctly.

Send off and 10-12 week suspension.
That’s what Kaufusi should have copped. It was an incredibly ugly tackle that attacked the head twice - once with his elbow and then with the ground.

His two week suspension is one of the most gutless and ludicrous decisions the MRC and judiciary have come up with.

Incorrect

Coach
Wade Graham will be next high profile player after Friend and Cordner to call it quits due to concussions. Matto might not be far behind them.

Cordner, Friend & Graham have all made shitloads out the game so won't need to worry much about money from here on. Unfortunately for Matto, he probably hasn't made as much hay while the sun has been shining given he's so young. Fingers crossed things turn around for him. But right now, I'll be honest, if he was to take the rest of the season off, came back fresh in 2022 and suffered another one, it'd have to be time to hang em up

Incorrect

Coach
Why are people suggesting Mattos career could come to an end here. Wasn’t his last concussion last year? I doubt very much he’s going to retire
I dunno, but for a young bloke to be knocked completely senseless, be it unluckily or from foul play, it can't be good for his long term brain health IMO. He had at least another serious one while at the Tigers.

Incorrect

Coach
Also. This latest development has convinced me we should prioritise re-signing Nrown ahead of Matterson given I'd expect them on similar $$'s.

IFR33K

Coach
I dunno, but for a young bloke to be knocked completely senseless, be it unluckily or from foul play, it can't be good for his long term brain health IMO. He had at least another serious one while at the Tigers.

He’ll be fine. It’s a collision sport I don’t think a player will retire after two or three concussions. If going by serious ones, teddy should of retired after sivo knocked him into another stratosphere

Incorrect

Coach
He’ll be fine. It’s a collision sport I don’t think a player will retire after two or three concussions. If going by serious ones, teddy should of retired after sivo knocked him into another stratosphere
It's not so much about "seriousness" as opposed to frequency, coupled with innocuousness (new word I just made up). Cordner copped a glancing blow on Origin last year, it barely would have knocked the froth of a cappuccino but he hasn't played since. And shouldn't ever again IMO. Matterson is walking a very fine line. His long term health needs to be paramount.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Why are people suggesting Mattos career could come to an end here. Wasn’t his last concussion last year? I doubt very much he’s going to retire

You realise he is suffering ongoing symptoms of concussion, weeks later (as reported by the club). That not serious?

It pretty naive and head in the sand stuff if you think it has to look like a Tedesco-Sivo collision for it to be taken serious