What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday - Week 1 finals Eels v Knights | Sunday 4pm

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd be more concerned about the reasons why Fergo has to come out of his line.
Dude with 200+ NRL games who comes out of the line just because he feels like it?

More confusing is the existence of fans who have supposedly *watched* 200+ NRL games and still don't understand how overlaps work.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I’d say edge forward would be harder. You can’t possible tell me matto can’t play in the middle

No I can't. On account of I don't recall ever having seen him play there.

The thing is here I'm not looking to say where or not Matto can play, or whether or not it's the right decision for him not to play, after all he's still on the reserves and he still could play anyways.

What I am doing is exploring the reasoning as to why the side picked has been picked, rather than just going off and disagreeing with it because.... reasons........

Matto is a better player than Lane is not a reason to pick him over Lane in all circumstances, because they do not fill the exact same role within the squad, their roles overlap, but again they are not the same. It can be more about the holes they fill in the squad when weakened, than the benefits they bring to the squad when the squad is at full strength.

Noise

Coach
No I can't. On account of I don't recall ever having seen him play there.

The thing is here I'm not looking to say where or not Matto can play, or whether or not it's the right decision for him not to play, after all he's still on the reserves and he still could play anyways.

What I am doing is exploring the reasoning as to why the side picked has been picked, rather than just going off and disagreeing with it because.... reasons........

Matto is a better player than Lane is not a reason to pick him over Lane in all circumstances, because they do not fill the exact same role within the squad, their roles overlap, but again they are not the same. It can be more about the holes they fill in the squad when weakened, than the benefits they bring to the squad when the squad is at full strength.
Matterson played 4 games at lock (middle) for the Tigers for 2 wins and 2 losses. He also played 3 games at hooker for them for 2 wins and 1 loss. He can play in the middle.

I also think he spent some time in the middle coming off the bench for the Roosters.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Matterson played 4 games at lock (middle) for the Tigers for 2 wins and 2 losses. He also played 3 games at hooker for them for 2 wins and 1 loss. He can play in the middle.

I also think he spent some time in the middle coming off the bench for the Roosters.

Lock as middle can be a shit ton different from prop as a middle, or can be pretty much the same.

Depends on the way you use a lock, but in Matto's case I'd reckon it'd be more as a first receiver ( middle half ) rather than a prop, 'Cause that'd suit his skillset.

If you look at what I posted, by middle I pretty clearly meant a prop type role rather than a distributor type role.

He's a f**king good defender, so no problem filling the middle in defence I'd have thought, but that doesn't make him a prop.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Don't mind Stone at hooker - we don't really have many options.

Matterson being omitted is a bit odd, though - he's the best edge forward at the club, imo, and is certainly our best defender along with Mahoney.

I don't mind Lane starting - he has some deficiencies in his game, but he also has skill, and can break a game open.

Kaufusi being dropped is also a little puzzling - but as has been mentioned, he is recovering from a head knock.

Strange team selection, all things considered.

84 Baby

Referee
FMD… 4 players unmarked with 5 yards of space in the box and we can’t convert… why are we kicking to the centre back in that scenario?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Why would Matterson have to play in the middle? There is no conceivable reason.

If he is on the bench, is there any possible reason that he would need to cover the middle?
No. Wouldn't they just move Lane or Marata or Papa into the middle (as has been done all year).
Unless we had 5 guys injured/ sent off, he could stay on the edge....

Perhaps he sneaks onto the bench as the week goes on?
Or, perhaps BA sees him as a right edge only option?

The only comment I would make against him is that the left attack looked great vs Storm, and on his usual right edge Marata has looked a world beater. Every game he is wide (at C or 2R) the defence looks safer on that side. So possibly BA rewarding the Storm effort?

I would have Matto on the bench at the very least....

Gronk

Staff member
One off game, but feel free to parade stone + maka over JFH.

you f^*king blokes are delusional.
It’s just regular banter between Penny111 and me. You’re having a tanty without applying contex merkin.

Bandwagon

Staff member
He played middle at the Roosters and Tigers.

Middle as in prop.

Do you play him at prop over Lane or Papali'i or Marata?

Assuming Papali'i stays in the middle, Lane or Marata will also play some middle.

Cartwright over Matto is the head scratcher for mine though, 'cause no matter how they line up / start it's really Carty that has taken Matto's spot in the seventeen.

Anyways it could be that BA's playing a bit of ducks and drakes, 'cause you drop Carty from that line up and start Matto on the edge, with Lane to the bench and the side looks pretty different.

emjaycee

Coach
so if Lussick is available, he comes in for Stone, Matto still misses out
Only if you assume Stone is playing 80 at hooker, which is pretty unlikely.
If Lussick is in he would probably get 80 mins as the plan, so Stone and Will would miss out and Lussick and Matto would be in the 17.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Only if you assume Stone is playing 80 at hooker, which is pretty unlikely.
If Lussick is in he would probably get 80 mins as the plan, so Stone and Will would miss out and Lussick and Matto would be in the 17.

well there is that option but I think the chances of both Stone and Smith missing out would be slim (to allow Matto to play) , Smith especially would be the only utility on the bench

I know Matto can be versatile but if he plays he's an edge forward