What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team round 4

carinashark

First Grade
I must be insane. Same again. Did Wade loose interest, maybe he wanted to give others a chance to shine?

carinashark

First Grade
Williams had a good game last week , he is not 80 min player though. Runs straight and needs 3 to put him down. He will improve this year. He has to take over from Woodsy in first receiver role, him and Toby off BB. We don’t have much else. Flanno really has set us up to fail.

Frenzy.

Immortal
The games changed. I think we now need to move Wade to 13 to get more out of him in attack and also to plug some holes that the big 13's we play cant. Bring in Wilton on the left edge and Williams drops to the bench as a prop rotation or he trains back up as the edge rower he used to be.
I agree with this.

having your best attacker locked into the left side is pointless. Put him in the middle, with two hole runners on the edges.
You essentially play every set with a 6 and 7 on both sides.

Ummm Yep. Spot on. How good was Radley last night? He's the prototype lock and he doesn't even have a kicking game.

I reckon Williams was earmarked as a sort of like for like replacement for Gall. Big mistake. That style of lock is dead and buried under the new regime.

Our props are not suited to this new style either. The big boppers, TPP, Feefs, Woods need to drop a few kilos and get more mobile. Might even help Kneefita get back on the field.

So if it's not gonna be Wade it has to be Magoo. Both can play before, at and through the line. Both are mobile and both can kick. Wade first choice. Magoo second choice.

Williams can go back and replace Bateman when he bails.

carcharias

Immortal
One of the heroes of the Newtown Jets dual success in 2019, Siosifa Talakai is set to make his first grade Sharks debut in the clash with the Cowboys tomorrow night.

Playing his first NRL game as a teenager, the now 23-year-old Talakai bounced from the Rabbitohs to the Panthers before enjoying an outstanding season at the Newtown Jets in 2019, with the powerfully built back rower set to become the 535th Sharks NRL player when he runs out for his first game in Cronulla colours in Townsville this weekend.

Touted as a potential representative player when coming through the ranks, Sharks coach John Morris is hoping Talakai’s career resurgence continues when his team faces the Cowboys this weekend.

“It’s been a journey for him but he’s happy to be back there,” Morris said. “Sifa has really earned his spot in the team through the trials and a strong pre-season.

“He’ll bring aggression and intensity, he’s physical in the way he plays and he’s a skilful backrower who can play in the middle or on an edge.”

A former Junior Kiwi, hailing from the Mascot club in the heart of Rabbitohs territory, Talakai first played in the NRL back in 2016 before a knee injury restricted him to just eight matches during the 2017 season

He departed Souths mid-2018 to sign a contract with the Panthers, where Talakai was unable to break into the NRL team, spending the remainder of the year playing for Penrith's Intrust Super Premiership side.

From there he found a happy home at the Jets in 2019, his strong ball running and bruising defence helping the Jets claim dual titles while catching the eye of Sharks coaches and officials in earning a train and trial opportunity at the Club.

An impressive pre-season followed, with Talakai elevated into the full-time NRL group earlier this year ahead of his first top grade appearance tomorrow night.

Quietly spoken and one preferring to let his actions speak for themselves, it’s been a long road back to the top level for Talakai who expressed his excitement about getting his chance in what is a crucial game for the Sharks in Townsville.

“It’s something I’ve been working towards since pre-season so I’m looking forward to taking my opportunity and to do a job for the boys and for the club,” he said. “The boys we’ve got here kept me motivated and I found my love for the game again.”

Named in jersey 16, Talakai is capable of playing a variety of roles in the forward pack as explained by Morris, while he has also spent some time in the backline when and where necessary.

As for a plan and exactly what the coach expects from him in Saturday’s game, Talakai intends to keep it simple.

“The plan will be just for me to run hard and tackle hard,” he said.

With the Sharks 19-man squad to be announced later today, Talakai is certain to take up one of the bench spots, with coach Morris also revealing local junior Connor Tracey will assume the utility interchange role and act as a backline, halves and hooker back up if required.

The Sharks take on the Cowboys at Queensland Country Bank Stadium tomorrow night, with the game scheduled for a 7.35pm kick off.

Latest posts