What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team to beat in 2004

slippery eel

Juniors
Let's say the eels are going to travel well next year which is a big possibilty..... which club or clubs are going to be the team to beat?. Who will stand in Parra's way and don't say themselves which is another big possibility. :lol:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
There's going to be alot of competition next year...so many good sides.

First of all, the Roosters!

They still have a fantastic side and will need alot to beat them, they are the best club side since Manly from 95-97.

The Warriors, they haven't really lost anyone that they can replace & the addition of Tony Martin & Pj Marsh back from injury??, they will be hard to beat.

St George Illawarra, sleeping giants!, if they remain injury free with the talent at there disposal they will take alot to beat.

Newcastle, same as St George if they remain injury free will always be hard to beat, plus it being A Johns last year i expect them to go out in a big way.

Canterbury, will still be very competitive & hard to beat.

There my ones to beat for Parra, we have a big battle in front of us to overcome these sides.

slippery eel

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
There's going to be alot of competition next year...so many good sides.

First of all, the Roosters!

They still have a fantastic side and will need alot to beat them, they are the best club side since Manly from 95-97.

The Warriors, they haven't really lost anyone that they can replace & the addition of Tony Martin & Pj Marsh back from injury??, they will be hard to beat.

St George Illawarra, sleeping giants!, if they remain injury free with the talent at there disposal they will take alot to beat.

Newcastle, same as St George if they remain injury free will always be hard to beat, plus it being A Johns last year i expect them to go out in a big way.

Canterbury, will still be very competitive & hard to beat.

There my ones to beat for Parra, we have a big battle in front of us to overcome these sides.

i think the Roosters will still be the team to beat if Penrith prove to be one hit wonders!.

I think the following teams will go backwards - Broncos, Bulldogs and Warriors.

Sleeping giant - I don't rate St.George cause they always stumble in the semis, but maybe Newcastle cause of Johns.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I wouldn't be surprised if Brisbane don't even make the 8....espically if there's an injury to Lockyer, Tallis is on a downhill slide.

slippery eel

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Brisbane don't even make the 8....espically if there's an injury to Lockyer, Tallis is on a downhill slide.

I actually reckon that the Broncos are going down the same path as the eels of the 80's. After all that success they are starting to lose their legends and quality players like we did from 87- 95. The Broncos are nowhere near as good as they once were in 2000.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I think Parra will do well against their traditional rivals (Manly, Canterbury, Brisbane, Newcastle and St George). I reckon, however, the REAL test is our hoodoo clubs: Easts, North Queensland, Canberra and Wests. If we can get away with wins over that quartet, plus Penrith, we will be in for a good season. If not, well....

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
I think Parra will do well against their traditional rivals (Manly, Canterbury, Brisbane, Newcastle and St George). I reckon, however, the REAL test is our hoodoo clubs: Easts, North Queensland, Canberra and Wests. If we can get away with wins over that quartet, plus Penrith, we will be in for a good season. If not, well....

I hate to say it Misty but Canterbury are very much a Hoodoo side for us aswell!

2001 was the last time we beat them.

bartman

Immortal
Teams to beat in 2004 for mine are Roosters, Panthers, Warriors and Raiders. Get in front of any of them on the table and we should be top four.

Melbourne? St George? I don't know... I still don't rate either of them as big dangers. West Tigers and Cowboys to also be putting pressure on top eight. I can see Canterbury slipping down, along with Brisbane and Newcastle (injuries to main players, less depth).

And I think the bottom three will again be Manly, Souths and Cronulla - unless Sharks get rid of Anderson now, sort through all the player factions, and Raper starts the new year in charge. Then they could be pushing for the eight.

The Colonel

Immortal
With no big changes apart from the front row at the Roosters they will still be hard to beat. Fittler's shoulder will be closely monitored by all sides and how much cotton wool he is placed in will play a big part in his season. Watch for Luke Dorn to be used early at the Rorters.

Penrith will miss Scott Sattler early but will learn to cope with Swain or Rodney at lock. Injuries could play a big part for them next year - if Gower or Girdler are missing again they will struggle with so many young players and the lack of leadership that Gower, Girdler and more importantly Sattler provide.

Canterbury and Brisbane will need to develop new combinations next year. Brisbane will need to reshuffle and re-focus if they are to turn around the slide from this year. The Dogs are missing their two most potent centres but more importantly Travis Norton on whom they relied to take pressure of Sherwin and Anasta. If Anasta can take a back seat and move to lock and allow Thurstaon the 5/8 role they would prove to be more dangerous. However, family politics within the Dogs may play a big role again with the Hughes brothers destined to be regulars ahead of Feeney and Asotasi again.

Melbourne and Canberra need to build on what they did this year. Clubs will be awake to the state of play at Canberra and they will need to be a bit different this year as clubs will be more awake to the combinations from dummy half. Melbourne will benefit from a return from injury of Ross, Hill and Howe.

Warriors will be more dangerous now the play doesn't revolve totally around Stacey Jones. A fit Stacey would have taken them back to the GF again IMO. The return of PJ Marsh will take pressure of him and young Thomas Leuluai will continue to grow at 5/8.

Dragons will need to keep everyone injury free and on the park but SOO will again play a big part in their season. A long term injury to either Barrett, Timmins or Firman may make things difficult again however their depth in the front row will be tested to if Ryles shoulder is not healing and the loss of Donnelly, Stapleton and Tutt.

Newcastle do not look to have made any serious additions to their club again. Parsons and O'Davis are getting older and Johns and Kennedy will again suffer with injury. Richardson will help in the backline but the young forwards will need to step up for them to be serious. They will win games on the back of Johns as usual but how long can his body hold together.

Nth Qld will build on last year - the addition of Norton and the return of Fien will play a big part in their new season. O'Donnell will add some starch to the pack but Rauhihi will be wanting some of the young guns to stand beside him up front.

Souths and Cronulla 2004 will be Souths and Cronulla 2003 if they can't sort out the coaching problems. Souths and Cronulla will also be hoping that internal problems are not back page news.

Manly will take some time to gel with practically a new team but will come together late in the season. It will be interesting how much patience committed team men like Roach, Boyd and Hasler will have if players heads aren't on straight.

The Tigers have spent big but injuries again will play a big part in their season. They will take time as well to gel but will benefit with a experienced coach. Marshall may be the shining light but watch for a big season from Ben Reynolds and Scott Prince eager top make a difference in the spotlight.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Two of the movers will be Broncos and the Dogs.............both downwards.

The dogs have lost alot of top line players and the Broncos are becoming Dads Army, and will be looking for new combinations.

The void in my opinion will be filled by the dragons and the good guys(that's us), with thier rep players available, they have to move up the ladder.

Panthers and Chooks should give us the most resistence. I think the Panters will be a better team, having achieved what they did this year, their confidence will be high.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Canterbury are still going to be close to the top 4, Wille Tonga is an unknown quantity yet & they still have Ben Harris in the centres together with Sherwin, Anasta & Thurston inside them.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
Misty Bee said:

I hate to say it Misty but Canterbury are very much a Hoodoo side for us aswell!

2001 was the last time we beat them.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'd say the Roosters, they have a consistency about them which is hard to counter. Penrith are great on their day however their defence can be quite shaky at times. I expect the Dogs, Brisbane and Newcastle to struggle a bit next year so the comp is a bit more open.

The Colonel

Immortal
Ron Jeremy said:
Canterbury are still going to be close to the top 4, Wille Tonga is an unknown quantity yet & they still have Ben Harris in the centres together with Sherwin, Anasta & Thurston inside them.

Tonga is an unknown quantity however I think Lolesi will get the jump on him at the start. There depth will be what is tested. They have lost a few top line guys in Norton, Vagana, Talaua and Reardon its the lesser names in Hall, Polglase and Edwin Asotasi that will see their depth tested. These kids were looked as the next lot to come through. If they have any injuries they have to rely on younger players that may not be ready yet for first grade as opposed to a couple of players who were ready to make the jump up.

Freak

Juniors
The team you play next!!

No point beating the roosters one week if you come out and lose the next to the bunnies.

I can really see all teams from out of the 8 improving in 2004. So that tells me to expect a really tight comp.

Even tighter than this year. - Can that be possible??

Maybe the caps working after all!! - Naaarrrrhhh!!

PB

Bench
Assuming that there are no major rule changes or changes to interpretation of the rules...

Panthers & Rooters - will still be top 4 material.

Raiders - will be strong at home (away form will slide slightly), still a tough top 8 side.

Dogs & Knights - have no depth

Melbourne - hit or miss? I expect turmoil to hit their next year which may bring them unstuck...

Dragons - key players are all injury or suspension prone. how prone will determine whether they make the 8.

Broncos - on downward slide, may miss 8.

Tigers and Nth QLD will continue to improve but will not be top 8 threats.

The rest are just myths.

slippery eel said:
I think the following teams will go backwards Warriors.

How can you tink that we will go backwards we are a power and are here to stay we will have a good team next year with the inclusion of the likes of martin and sullivan.
Also we have quite a few young players who have became quite abit more experienced.So i don't think we will go backwards next year.