What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Knights

Leber

Bench
I'm hoping Pearce doesn't choose this week to bounce back and put on a masterclass.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I'm hoping Pearce doesn't choose this week to bounce back and put on a masterclass.
He was limping last week so he might have a niggle going into this week.

Commentators during the Knights/Tigers game was going on about Benjis 'injury' which I couldn't see. That whole time they were talking about Benji coming off, Pearce was on the other side clearly limping. Pearce eventually came off before Benji but before that, there was more focus on Benjis apparent injury than there was of Pearces limping around. It was weird, its like the commentators wanted Benji off.

Meth

Staff member
Vodafone Warriors v Newcastle Knights
8.00pm, Friday, August 10, 2018
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland

VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (c)
2 David Fusitu’a
3 Gerard Beale
4 Solomone Kata
5 Ken Maumalo
6 Blake Green
7 Shaun Johnson
8 James Gavet
9 Issac Luke
10 Agnatius Paasi
11 Isaiah Papali’i
12 Adam Blair
13 Simon Mannering

Interchange:
14 Jazz Tevaga
15 Leivaha Pulu
16 Bunty Afoa
17 Peta Hiku
18 Anthony Gelling
20 Joseph Vuna
21 Chris Satae
22 Karl Lawton

Tbh, it really needs to be Satae ahead of Hiku. We just need some size coming off the bench.

Izz

Bench
Article i read on stuff said Hiku had been overlooked because of a hand injury. I hope that wasn't it...

JJ

Immortal
Never been a fan of an outside back on the bench. Cappy started the revolution and no one has really followed, except SK.
If you're the only ones doing something you're either ahead of the curve or profoundly stupid

Chris Cairns' lowered eye level batting stance never took off for example

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If you're the only ones doing something you're either ahead of the curve or profoundly stupid

Chris Cairns' lowered eye level batting stance never took off for example

You mean Craig McMillan batting face on to Warne? But yeah, exactly. Cappy wasn't ahead of the curve. We need size. I know Hiku can cover the back 5 competently (well not 3 or 4, he was dropped there for a reason) but you're predicting an injury if you're picking him there, which is a complete waste of an interchange option. Simon can play centre and shut down his opposite. If RTS is injured, Fus goes back and Beale moves out. I don't see why Hiku makes any sense.

JJ

Immortal
You mean Craig McMillan batting face on to Warne? But yeah, exactly. Cappy wasn't ahead of the curve. We need size. I know Hiku can cover the back 5 competently (well not 3 or 4, he was dropped there for a reason) but you're predicting an injury if you're picking him there, which is a complete waste of an interchange option. Simon can play centre and shut down his opposite. If RTS is injured, Fus goes back and Beale moves out. I don't see why Hiku makes any sense.
I meant Cairns he figured many great bats were short. But McMillan's was similar

We're on the same page

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
In last years tipping comp, I came third and guess what my handicap was? picking the Warriors 95% of the time and that cost me a lot of picks. I probably wouldve taken it out or come second had not picked us to win. So last year whilst it was dumb to pick the Warriors, it shows how accurate I was in picking winners. Third out of about a dozen of us posters here on our NZ board isn't too bad. Bottom line is, Im fairly accurate with my picks.

Hey check this out...

Maybe you should've said OUR comments aye Villa LOL. Im genuinely laughing out loud :)

I pretty much answered your question. Who do you thinks going to win? Knights or us?....

Oh lordy...me saying retrospectively that there are two games that we should have won and you blindly saying 'we should beat the Knights even if we play poorly' AFTER the fact that we have shown that no game is gaurenteed are not the same thing :joy:

For the record, I think we will win this one. If we have another game where we don't turn up you really have to question what the coach is doing.

It boggles the mind that we showed a lack of fire power in our forwards in the last game, and Hiku is seen as the way forward. That said, he's got that nice little jink where he often beats the first player...coming on 10 minutes to half time against a retreating forward back with a fast play the ball... could be trouble for the Knights

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
It boggles the mind that we showed a lack of fire power in our forwards in the last game, and Hiku is seen as the way forward. That said, he's got that nice little jink where he often beats the first player...coming on 10 minutes to half time against a retreating forward back with a fast play the ball... could be trouble for the Knights
Oh Im WTF about it as it's not the norm to have a utility half/back rower like Tevaga and a "utility back" like Hiku, take up spots on the bench. I know I shouldnt downplay the Knights chances, especially against us, but I think Kearney feels comfortable enough about our chances that he is bold enough to stack the bench in this way.

Hiku could provide some impact and I can see that jink he does that you speak of, working to good effect.

JJ

Immortal

It boggles the mind that Hiku is seen as the answer to anything...

Simple game - power through the middle, spine that can dominate... and impact from the bench - as you say, we lack the former, and the latter - the spine can dominate if the pack does, and can influence if the pack gets parity (and RTS is a phenom)

Tevaga and Beale on the bench ensures minimal impact there - and while I loved the winning tough against the Dragons, they simply can't keep winning that way, in reality the Dragons should have put us away, and week to week that sort of backs against the wall effort will be exhausting... but again, I loved that they showed they can do it

sup42

Juniors
Hikus ' hand injury' ....one is tempted to raise an eyebrow.....anywho his time off was probably spent tackling...well at least I hope so....he would be above average if he tackled.

Meth

Staff member
Again, Hiku's a back up full back. Unsure why he's coming off the bench.

sup42

Juniors
You get the feeling that the Warriors template is to have every position covered from the bench in the event of injury...Hiku can do that.
But what flies in the face of that is the use of the like of Gelling.

The best explanation is they try to use a spot to reward players for effort (Gelling and other ISP guys who have played well....just not our pariah Sao).

Yet again that doesn't fit with Hiku since he hasn't been playing ISP.

Part of me thinks the club really backs its development ability..the ability to improve players (mainly inspired by the progress of the like of Ken) and thereby they think they can fix Hiku

I know Tohu Harris mentioned that Satae got credibility with the coaches by going to Stephen Kearney and asking him what he should be doing to improve....I know Cameron George said the two things they measure players by is their talent and their drive to improve.

I am imagining that is the mantra at the Warriors and equally why some players fall out of favor...for not going and doing a bit of relational work with the management / head coach in particular.

Harris mentioned those ideals are the same at Melbourne.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Oh Im WTF about it as it's not the norm to have a utility half/back rower like Tevaga and a "utility back" like Hiku, take up spots on the bench. I know I shouldnt downplay the Knights chances, especially against us, but I think Kearney feels comfortable enough about our chances that he is bold enough to stack the bench in this way.

Hiku could provide some impact and I can see that jink he does that you speak of, working to good effect.

Haha cmon man...two games ago you said we would ravage the Titans, and therefore could rest Issac with no issues. SK should be picking the side this week as he would if it was the GF, injuries excepted (don't believe there are any?)

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Haha cmon man...two games ago you said we would ravage the Titans, and therefore could rest Issac with no issues. SK should be picking the side this week as he would if it was the GF, injuries excepted (don't believe there are any?)
And you picked the Titans to thrash us right? Lol hell no. Nobody saw that. I looked at the tipping comp for that week and well over 70% of punters picked us to win as well. MANY picked us to win, including myself obviously but we cant always pick the winners.

Luke was suppose to play but I raised the importance of a weeks rest given his condition. He got that weeks rest ;)

2 fair points I raised. Us winning I got wrong :(

Like I said before - stacking the bench with only 2 forwards is quite audacious from Kearney. I see it as a sign of confidence because he doesnt stack the bench like that when we play the top teams.

Last edited: