What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Knights

Penrose_11

Juniors
It seems like Bunty plays the 1st 20 and doesn’t come back on. And then this week Curren plays the last 20 only. Previously Siro and Ale have done same. Pretty much allows all other forwards to play 50-60 minutes and we get max game time outta them. Think I’m gonna keep liking this tactic until it doesn’t work

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It seems like Bunty plays the 1st 20 and doesn’t come back on. And then this week Curren plays the last 20 only. Previously Siro and Ale have done same. Pretty much allows all other forwards to play 50-60 minutes and we get max game time outta them. Think I’m gonna keep liking this tactic until it doesn’t work
Probably based around us having a few big minutes guys. Could give up the latitude to use someone like Gavet this week with Curran doing a longer stint.

Munky

Coach
Is DWZ capable of playing with the discipline required for Websterball?

Was always hotheaded in his Panthers stint.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
In the absence of big bodies it seems weird that Ale plays like 10-15 minutes a game? He always looks pretty good to me and if he's really that unfit it surprises me that Webster would pick him. Then again, as some of you have suggested it may well be that Webster likes to have pure impact players who come off as soon as they get slightly tired, mixed with big minute guys.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
For all the understandable talk about Webster's coaching, the edge defence seems a bit of a shambles still. Not sure if that's a structure/coaching issue or if there are particular individuals to be singled out? Vailea and Pompey both looked dodgy yesterday, maybe Volkman didn't help? I still really want to stick with Vailea as I think he's the one guy in our outside backs who offers a bit of extra punch on attack, but I can't deny his defence is still a question mark. 2 times yesterday in what seemed like pretty standard attacking situations he pretty much turned in to tackle the second rower and gave up on marking his opposite number. I haven't analysed it closely enough to say whether that's just his fault or whether we weren't numbering up well enough inside.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think Volkman got targeted pretty ruthlessly early on yesterday, understandable as he was the new guy and the guys outside him aren’t foolproof defenders either.
centre is still our weakest spot IMO, Pompey is a plodder who runs hard and Vailea is still raw, as is Kosi outside them.

Campion

Juniors
I’ve noticed Vailea clocks off after making a tackle (no urgency to get back to position). He also clocks off after being tackled (slow play of ball due to lack of urgency). Personally I’d drop him (if Williame is back) until he fixes that. Reminds me a bit of Fusitua in that regard.

vvvrulz

Coach
I’ve noticed Vailea clocks off after making a tackle (no urgency to get back to position). He also clocks off after being tackled (slow play of ball due to lack of urgency). Personally I’d drop him (if Williame is back) until he fixes that. Reminds me a bit of Fusitua in that regard.

Ugh Fus, what could have been.

Blair

Coach
Curran was out for a while due to those 'tactical issues' the coach spoke of. He's back now, he fired up yesterday, I think it's important to see if we can build some momentum there.

TheDMC

Bench
Curran was out for a while due to those 'tactical issues' the coach spoke of. He's back now, he fired up yesterday, I think it's important to see if we can build some momentum there.
I reckon he was in the naughty box for something.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I reckon he was in the naughty box for something.
That is another good thing about having in form players competing for spots. If someone does warrant being dropped for disciplinary reasons it can easily be done without publicly humiliating anyone.

Meth

Staff member
In the absence of big bodies it seems weird that Ale plays like 10-15 minutes a game? He always looks pretty good to me and if he's really that unfit it surprises me that Webster would pick him. Then again, as some of you have suggested it may well be that Webster likes to have pure impact players who come off as soon as they get slightly tired, mixed with big minute guys.

I think it’s the latter.

We seem to be playing Afoa for a short stint at the beginning and Ale for a short stint (20-25 mins, to be fair) at the end. Similar players- they run hard and they don’t miss tackles. I really think Ale is playing better than Afoa this year. Would love to see more minutes from him if there was a way to have that without lessening his impact.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think it’s the latter.

We seem to be playing Afoa for a short stint at the beginning and Ale for a short stint (20-25 mins, to be fair) at the end. Similar players- they run hard and they don’t miss tackles. I really think Ale is playing better than Afoa this year. Would love to see more minutes from him if there was a way to have that without lessening his impact.
To be fair on Afoa he’s got the harder job, starting and taking the sting out of fresh defenders while Ales job is to come on late fresh and bash them while they’re tired.

Last edited:

sup42

Juniors
For all the understandable talk about Webster's coaching, the edge defence seems a bit of a shambles still. Not sure if that's a structure/coaching issue or if there are particular individuals to be singled out? Vailea and Pompey both looked dodgy yesterday, maybe Volkman didn't help? I still really want to stick with Vailea as I think he's the one guy in our outside backs who offers a bit of extra punch on attack, but I can't deny his defence is still a question mark. 2 times yesterday in what seemed like pretty standard attacking situations he pretty much turned in to tackle the second rower and gave up on marking his opposite number. I haven't analysed it closely enough to say whether that's just his fault or whether we weren't numbering up well enough inside.

They were positioned correctly. We had the ptb covered. The problem is that if you take Tohu Barnett and TMM out, the line loses its plasticity.

There was no moving as a single organism, our players did not come forward together, they did not chase from the inside together, and they did not wrap up the ball carrier in twos and three

All functions of missing the best players.

You cannot bed in the Volkmans and Vaileas overnight....Kosi is a good example of that.

If we get key personnel back our edges will be fine.

No surprises it takes a start to a game for a new team (we are a new team with these new systems) to find their rhythm, I anticipate we will start poorly all year because the missing element is time, and the reffs hammer the minnow teams to script for the openings of games....six again....penalty....50/50....six again...Warriors down by 12.

Just gotta keep sucking it up till officials take us seriously/treat us like we are a worthy challenger for the victory.