What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Manly

TheDMC

Bench
can we acknowledge JTB has 2nd year syndrome? Just doesnt seem to have the same impact this year. Throw Ale in for a week to see the difference?
And Kane Evans rolls the dice a little too much lying all over the player. Got away with a couple in the 2nd half.

JTB doesn't seem much different to last year from what I've seen. More hasn't gone on and improved to me. I thought Kane played pretty well yesterday, some good go forward. If you can get away with slowing the ruck down then you do so as much as possible, which he did, so can't see that as a negative (maybe the refereeing was too lenient, but that's not Kane's problem).

SmashEmBro

Juniors
can we acknowledge JTB has 2nd year syndrome? Just doesnt seem to have the same impact this year. Throw Ale in for a week to see the difference?
And Kane Evans rolls the dice a little too much lying all over the player. Got away with a couple in the 2nd half.

Yip, JTB not going great at the moment. In fact we probably need to address the elephant in the room - the only front rower for us to make over 100m in the last 4 games has been Evans twice (Cowboys, Sea Eagles). 4 props per game, so 16 opportunities to get 100+ meters and it’s only happened twice. Not good at all

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
Guess we still don't know what our best pack is, Katoa and Brown have second year syndrome to various degrees, Sironen got hurt, and not sure Brown has worked our where BMM and Harris should play (Harris is the one guy that just needs to be somewhere), and Curran has exceeded my expectations - but add AFB back in and things change dramatically... he's what we've been wanting/needing for years

Penrose_11

Juniors
Has BMM stated he wants to play backrower only or is that just where Coach Brown is choosing to play him? A rotation of AFB, BMM, Bunty plus one of Ah’Mau, Evans, JTB, Ale is probably up there with any going around

Blair

Coach
Has BMM stated he wants to play backrower only or is that just where Coach Brown is choosing to play him? A rotation of AFB, BMM, Bunty plus one of Ah’Mau, Evans, JTB, Ale is probably up there with any going around

I wouldn't think big Leeson would be playing second-fiddle? He's our rock.

Last edited:

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Didn't we just play Manly a couple of weeks ago??

How the heck are we playing them again so soon? Pretty strange scheduling.

JJ

Immortal
without a full home and away schedule the draw never makes sense...

Meth

Staff member
I’d rather start CHT and bring Kodi off the bench

Yeah, I think its important to remember with Kodi that he's actually only really played 2 good games this season- 1 of them on the weekend. There's still issues (in my mind) with him.

And Tevaga.

And, to an extent, Harris-Tavita.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah, I think its important to remember with Kodi that he's actually only really played 2 good games this season- 1 of them on the weekend. There's still issues (in my mind) with him.

And Tevaga.

And, to an extent, Harris-Tavita.
It’s more about their playing styles for me. I prefer CHT for the tough early stuff but Kodi is dangerous when things open up amd players tire.

Big Marn

Juniors
It’s more about their playing styles for me. I prefer CHT for the tough early stuff but Kodi is dangerous when things open up amd players tire.
Not so sure about that. I think CHT would be writing cheques his body cant cash with his tackling technique. Might need to throttle back a bit if he wants to last a full season.

Big Marn

Juniors
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2021/05/04/katoa-cht-and-aitken-in-mix/

Young second rower Eliesa Katoa, halfback Chanel Harris-Tavita and centre Euan Aitken have all been included in the Vodafone Warriors’ 21-man squad for Sunday’s ninth-round NRL encounter with Manly-Warringah at Lottoland in Sydney (2.00pm kick-off local time; 4.00pm NZT).

The 21-year-old Katoa comes straight back into the starting line-up replacing powerhouse forward Ben Murdoch-Masila, who has been ruled out following a head knock late in the second half of Sunday’s 24-20 win over North Queensland.

Katoa's last NRL appearance was coincidentally against Manly when the Vodafone Warriors fell to a 12-13 fifth-round loss at Central Coast Stadium.

He had an impressive outing for feeder club Redcliffe in the Intrust Super Cup the following week only to pick up a toe injury which has had him side-lined the last two weeks.

Harris-Tavita has been listed in jersey #20 as he eyes a return after being side-lined for the last six rounds following surgery for a stress fracture in his left foot picked up in the 16-20 round two loss to Newcastle.

New signing Aitken has appeared only in the season-opening 19-6 win over Gold Coast when he suffered an ankle injury which required surgery. He has been listed in jersey #22.

Match: Sea Eagles v Warriors
ROUND 9 - SUNDAY 9TH MAY

4:00pm
Sea Eagles
Home Team
Sea Eagles

Warriors
Away Team
Warriors

Venue:Lottoland, Sydney

Match Officials
Referee: Peter Gough
Touch Judge: Darian Furner
Touch Judge: Chris Butler
Senior Review Official: Ashley Klein
Last updated: 05:01 pm Tuesday 4th May 2021

Other than Katoa coming in for Murdoch-Masila, the starting side and nominated bench is unchanged from the victory over the Cowboys.

It again sees two-game centre Rocco Berry and last week’s debutant winger Edward Kosi named on the right edge while the exciting rookie Reece Walsh is selected in the halves with the experienced Kodi Nikorima.

After eight rounds – a third of the season – the Vodafone Warriors sit seventh on the NRL ladder with a four win-four loss record.

Hit with a heavy injury toll and suspensions, head coach Nathan Brown had already been forced to use 28 players with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Ken Maumalo, Kodi Nikorima, Wayde Egan, Jazz Tevaga and Leeson Ah Mau the only ones set to make their ninth straight appearance this week.

Tuivasa-Sheck goes into the return clash against Manly in a three-way share of the lead on the Dally M points table after collecting three points against the Cowboys when he made 225 metres (including 62 post contact metres) from 28 runs with eight tackle breaks, a line break, a try assist and three off loads.

He’s first among all players for most runs (196), second for most metres (1965), third for most post contact metres (571) and fourth for most tackle breaks (44).

VODAFONE WARRIORS v MANLY WARRINGAH SEA EAGLES
2.00pm, Sunday, May 9, 2021

Lottoland, Sydney

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 ROGER TUIVASA-SHECK (c)

2 EDWARD KOSI

3 ADAM POMPEY

4 ROCCO BERRY

5 KEN MAUMALO

6 REECE WALSH

7 KODI NIKORIMA

8 JAMAYNE TAUNOA-BROWN

9 WAYDE EGAN

10 KANE EVANS

11 JOSH CURRAN

12 ELIESA KATOA

13 TOHU HARRIS

Interchange:

14 JAZZ TEVAGA

15 LEESON AH MAU

16 BUNTY AFOA

17 BAYLEY SIRONEN

18 JACK MURCHIE

20 CHANEL HARRIS-TAVITA

21 TOM ALE

22 EUAN AITKEN

HEAD COACH | NATHAN BROWN

Big Marn

Juniors
no sign of fus on the extended bench so Kosi gets another start unless Pompey gets pushed to wing to make room for Aitken. Looked confident under the high ball.
no BMM is a huge blow. Can see some go forward issues if the other 4 props dont up their game this week.

Latest posts