What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Panthers

Interesting, Dugan just got hit slightly late..........nothing.......

Nowhere near as late as Soward though. And he at least pretended to use his arms.

But f**k Cronulla are excellent. Barba throw a 15 metre pass at his posts and then they find touch with the drop out (4 metres from their own line) :lol:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Semi was also hit much later by moylan when he set up Robinson for his try yet nothing was said about that. And for the frog this was in the 6th minute of play.

Kornstar

Coach
Nowhere near as late as Soward though. And he at least pretended to use his arms.

But f**k Cronulla are excellent. Barba throw a 15 metre pass at his posts and then they find touch with the drop out (4 metres from their own line) :lol:

Agreed it was not as late but I notice they didn't care that it was late at all.......the speed that Pauli was running at though, what could he have done? In your opinion? Watch it a normal speed.

That pass was special and the drop out even more......

hindy111

Post Whore
Watched a repay of the game, at 14-4 morgan tackles segyaroo on he 5th and he loses ball cold.Penalty given for a strip.
They score off that set, get ball of kick off a penalty on 4th and score again.

The score should of been 14-4 and parra on there 40mtr line, funny how little things can change a game.

Captain BF

Juniors
The real question is why was Soward only smashed once? Look at Origin or even just yesterdays Cowboys game, pretty much every time that Thurston passes or kicks, he gets hammered whether it be part of the play, just a bit late or really late. He rarely touches the ball without being put on his bum by a defender.

Parra make opposition playmakers look like superstars because we don't put enough pressure on them. It's been the case for a long time.

Last edited:
Agreed it was not as late but I notice they didn't care that it was late at all.......the speed that Pauli was running at though, what could he have done? In your opinion? Watch it a normal speed.

I've watched it a normal speed a dozen times. What he could have done was ease up a bit and not lean into a shoulder charge on the bloke without the ball (it was a shoulder charge regardless of how late it was). Let's pretend Soward dummied and held the ball, do you reckon the tackle was legal?

One thing in Pauli's favour is that Soward was still moving towards the Parra goal line after he threw the ball, which reduces the time he has ease up. But they were 3.5-4m apart at the time Soward fully released the ball.

I hope he gets off, but can't realistically complain if charged with Grade 1 dangerous contact (100 points). If they go down the shoulder charge route it will be 200 points.

strider

Post Whore
At the game i didn't even really see it so it wasn't until the replay yesterday morning and then the pre game show where Anasta, Gasnier and Shirvington were talking about it and showing it and when they showed the high shot at normal speed i just think he had already committed and it wasn't as late as they were making out.

Anyone complaining about it kept complaining from the footage they were looking at which was slow motion replays.

I will concede that he did nothing to pull out at all but i'm also not sure he was really looking directly at him once he committed to the tackle. He was on a mission to smash him and he did.

I think the hit on Semi was worse to be honest.......but he is huge so it's ok to hit him it appears.

i agree with what barry has been saying - i didn't realise scott got a grade 1 - this should be the same - will depend on pauli's record as to whether he gets off with an early plea

sure he committed to the tackle but only really when he saw soward was going to do nothing other than pass it ... so he committed to smashing a dude who wouldn't have the ball .... if he thought soward was going to run he couldn't have committed cos he would have been left diving at nothingas soward ran away from him

i can't stand soward - i'm all for smashing him - but there might be consequences

Eelementary

Post Whore
Not sure that's quite right mate. If they think there was a deliberate strip, and it wasn't a loose carry etc / attempt to pass etc, it may not be a knock on by the attacking player, and therefore the bloke touching it down could conceivably score.

Cool.

For some reason, I had it in my head that if a defending player strips the ball (and the ball travels forward from the attacking player's perspective), then it constituted a knock-on.

I'm not really sure where I got that idea, though- I'm re-reading the rules and there is nothing in there about that.

The hit on Soward was a penalty anyone thinking otherwise is totally delusional but a penalty is all it is, it in no way deserves a suspension

The Colonel

Immortal
The hit on Soward was a penalty anyone thinking otherwise is totally delusional but a penalty is all it is, it in no way deserves a suspension

No one disagrees that it's a penalty. Seems a few of your fellow fans are calling for Pauli to be rubbed out.

hybrideel

Bench
I think anything more than a grade 1 dangerous contact, the same as Scott got, is a clear indication that the MRC have fallen for the Johns/Fittler hysteria

forward pass

Coach
I am certain that Paulie thought Soward was about to run. You can see him suddenly accelerate to get to him as soon as he could. Huge man, running that fast - pretty hard to pull up that quick. It was late for sure, but not as bad as being made out.

oldmancraigy

Coach

Thankyou for the sanity from 'the other side'.

Totally agree with you. Not sure he should have been put on report, but the referees often do that just to give an injured player a free interchange, no issue with that.

emjaycee

Coach
Thankyou for the sanity from 'the other side'.

Totally agree with you. Not sure he should have been put on report, but the referees often do that just to give an injured player a free interchange, no issue with that.

And the problem with the refs putting a tackle on report just to give a free interchange are that it takes it beyond being an onfield incident that was dealt with at the time and gives it to the MRC and also provides media like Johns the opportunity to beat it up.

If Pauli wasn't put on report there would not be the replays and incessant discussion about this tackle.

Cool.

For some reason, I had it in my head that if a defending player strips the ball (and the ball travels forward from the attacking player's perspective), then it constituted a knock-on.

I'm not really sure where I got that idea, though- I'm re-reading the rules and there is nothing in there about that.

I think you're effectively right in the vast majority cases, and I think the NRL have occasionally issued different interpretations of the rule over time.

And with how big Pauli is and at the speed he was running, he really only had 1 step between him committing to the tackle and hitting Soward after he released the ball.

Sure, he was unavoidably going to contact Soward. I don't think it's a terrible tackle, just think that he showed no signs of attempting to slow down or avoid cleaning the bloke up, and therefore won't be surprised if he gets a Grade 1 Dangerous contact charge. If he had eased up and didn't continue driving through with the shoulder (only) he would definitely be fine. I hope that he doesn't get charged.....it just won't be a great travesty of justice if they say he has a case to answer.

oldmancraigy

Coach
And the problem with the refs putting a tackle on report just to give a free interchange are that it takes it beyond being an onfield incident that was dealt with at the time and gives it to the MRC and also provides media like Johns the opportunity to beat it up.

If Pauli wasn't put on report there would not be the replays and incessant discussion about this tackle.

Good point. Much like Slaters late shoulder charge to the head of Dugan, it would be just swept under the carpet.

'A friend' communicated with the MRC re: the Billy Slater thing. They were assured that the hit was not high, and that Billy was 'just bracing himself' :)lol:), and therefore it wasn't a shoulder charge. They also pretended he didn't drop the elbow on the back of a prone player.

Latest posts