What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Panthers

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Matt Johns on 360 was very interesting talking about halves.
Yeah that was really good. Liked his praises of Green and Johnson and how they work in tandem at times, principal and structure, where they end up on the field and defences. He just knows a lot and it was good to learn that Brodie Croft gave Johns some acknowledgement for one of his better games for the Storm.

Rich102

Staff member
I think that when Johnson comes off the field looking like Maloney does, then I will know he has given it everything.

sup42

Juniors
Good segment on the Papaliis on League Life. Both mum and son being interviewed by Blake Green.
yeah that was great.

Suits the theme of the all Women hosted show, and you'd suspect Isiah's mum will feature again in future, if he ends up as good as her he will be amazing.

I liked the way his mum spoke when she said she was really happy that her son gets to play alongside Blake Green - then tactically added the 'others too'.

She's right to be happy about him being on Greens side of the field, that is where forwards score Trys, of the hip of that organising playmaker.

Obviously its the place to be to get tutored in the arts of the game as well.

JJ

Immortal
I think that when Johnson comes off the field looking like Maloney does, then I will know he has given it everything.
I've always thought that - but to be fair Johnson has really tried to do the defensive work, and in attack he's just never going to engage the line with the physicality that Maloney or Thurston does - he'll shovel, and pick his opportunities and do the whole touch thing - guess that's why he's devastating when a pack is dominating, but anonymous when not - he's be great for Souths paired with Reynolds behind that pack and Cook

Rich102

Staff member
Agree. Maloney will turn matches for you. Johnson will win the game if he is behind a better pack.
But if you have the better pack you are well on the way to winning anyway.
Luckily we have Green with him.
I guess that is why Johnson looks better this year. The whole attack isn't centred on him.
Just hope he doesn't try his short drop-out's this weekend.

Matua

Bench
Its probably his Twitter or Instagram that makes him a rebel/stepping over the line.
I read his twitter after this post (which I expect was tongue in cheek?) - he seems like a top bloke.

Oh, and I also figured out that the journalist was an Australian one from one of the Fox shows. And she's taking shit for the saying the rumour because she's a women basically, despite the fact Kent, Rothfield etc etc always come up with true/false rumours on those shows.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
yeah that was great.

Suits the theme of the all Women hosted show, and you'd suspect Isiah's mum will feature again in future, if he ends up as good as her he will be amazing.

I liked the way his mum spoke when she said she was really happy that her son gets to play alongside Blake Green - then tactically added the 'others too'.

She's right to be happy about him being on Greens side of the field, that is where forwards score Trys, of the hip of that organising playmaker.

Obviously its the place to be to get tutored in the arts of the game as well.
If you've been reading my posts, you'll know I'm not a fan of Ice but after watching that, I guess I understand the kid a bit more and hope he goes great.

Keep forgetting he's only 19!!!

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
In regards to Maloney and Johnson - Johnsons good and Maloney great but this week Maloney absolutely sux because he's the absolute enemy. Johnson is the Warrior.

JJ

Immortal
I don't have a problem with the drop-outs tbh

1. they tend to work, at worst they should be 50:50
2. You have to trust the defence, and most of the time it's been sound.
3. Presumably, it's situational, the decision to do it, or not, must be based around certain criteria - for us it seems not is the minority?

Burns

First Grade
Fan of SJ’s short drop outs, have worked well so far. Just wonder if against teams in the Finals, if they’ll be more aware and ready for it?

Hopefully he doesn’t need to kick any drop outs this weekend eh? ;)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah, I'm 100% for the short drop outs. They don't work every time but every time they do it's an incredible bonus, and a deflating moment for the attack. If they don't work, we defend our line - which unless it's Pat Richards kicking 60m long bombs, we're going to be doing anyway.

JJ

Immortal
I think we're ahead of the curve on it? It's something that you'd need to practice - like the drop outs in union - maybe they got the idea from the ABs like the breathing?

Matua

Bench
I think we're ahead of the curve on it? It's something that you'd need to practice - like the drop outs in union - maybe they got the idea from the ABs like the breathing?
I've never seen the ABs doing the breathing.

I'm sure there is some kind of method worked out where they figure out how many times it comes off vs how many times it allows in points. To old school leaguies it probably seems low % but it's probably effective. There's a Malcom Gladwell podcast about hockey and how far a team is down in goals and whether they should pull the goalie and just go all out in attack. Essentially a goalie should be pulled quite early (in the last 1/4 not in the whole game) if a team is down but coaches don't do it because it looks stupid if it doesn't work and fans will think they blew the game. So, maybe we can give Kearney some credit for allowing himself to look stupid.

I've never seen the ABs doing the breathing.

I'm sure there is some kind of method worked out where they figure out how many times it comes off vs how many times it allows in points. To old school leaguies it probably seems low % but it's probably effective. There's a Malcom Gladwell podcast about hockey and how far a team is down in goals and whether they should pull the goalie and just go all out in attack. Essentially a goalie should be pulled quite early (in the last 1/4 not in the whole game) if a team is down but coaches don't do it because it looks stupid if it doesn't work and fans will think they blew the game. So, maybe we can give Kearney some credit for allowing himself to look stupid.
A similar situation in soccer penalty shots.
Most successful shot is to kick straight down the middle.
But if it doesn't come off it doesn't look like you tried.

Agree. Maloney will turn matches for you. Johnson will win the game if he is behind a better pack.
But if you have the better pack you are well on the way to winning anyway.
Luckily we have Green with him.
I guess that is why Johnson looks better this year. The whole attack isn't centred on him.
Just hope he doesn't try his short drop-out's this weekend.
Johnson could have listened to Matthew John's last night, getting tackled isn't a bad thing as a half and should not be considered the end but the begining, get a quick play to the hooker/dummy half who can take advantage of a retreating defensive line.

I read his twitter after this post (which I expect was tongue in cheek?) - he seems like a top bloke.

Oh, and I also figured out that the journalist was an Australian one from one of the Fox shows. And she's taking shit for the saying the rumour because she's a women basically, despite the fact Kent, Rothfield etc etc always come up with true/false rumours on those shows.
He takes down a few from my understanding.
Last one I heard was about the refs relegation game Warriors v Titans.

Latest posts