What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Raiders 3/7/16

Apey

Staff member
Taking the 2 while we were 16 up was basically us saying 'yep we're done come and get us', f**k this deadshit team and especially f**k Plodkinson and the two that just watched that ball at the end there.

The minute brown decided to change the game plan and try to defend that lead is the minute we lost. With our defensive record we were never going to hold that.

Our mindset went from enthusiastic and attacking to conservative and defensive which then turned into negative football.

Just poor all round

Spot On

Coach
Well I haven't been too critical of the players Brown has bought or persisted with but that Elliott character is obviously a soccer player who has fooled every coach and club he has played with. I'd even have Aku before him.

As for Hodko, Brown should have absolutely no doubt he can not keep him if he wants a half who can read a game and lead a team to a win. The last 10 mins should have been his yet he came up with 2 of the dumbest kicks possible. Yeah, great to slip the field goal over but it should never have got to that.

Could've, would've, should've.

One positive, again we scored enough points to win the game.

Hopefully our defence will improve out of sight - soon.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
There's a lot more positives to take out of that game than most weeks. Comparatively speaking, it's been a good day.

Swarzey

Bench
Mamo was solid IMO. Elliott was trash; they tore him a new one with little effort. Ross being at centre would have been the better option. I'm fine to see him back after the bye if he's back on the wing.

It's heartbreaking, we were immense in the first 30.

What shit me most about this was Hodkinson. He showed little enthusiasm when we hit 22 points and after the break it seemed he only wanted to hold the lead. Kicking it out every second, third set, taking the two when we had the momentum back early; to his credit he was what we needed for the FG, but he showed no pride in the jumper. If he did, I don't think we lose today; I don't think they come even close. Cogger isn't experienced enough to make the call, putting the cue in the rack was Hodkinson's call without a doubt.

Barnett was huge in attack, solid in defence. Sione was outstanding all round. I would love to see him play Lock; having the freedom to move around the field and get involved as much as possible instead of being tied to one side of the field.

Nuffy

Bench
f**k football

Mate, fairy tales are rare and we've not seen since 2001. They were always going to find a way to lose.

It's the new norm for us, better to accept it and it makes watching and following a little easier.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Barnett having a really good game. Real physical and a point to prove.

Taking the 2 while we were 16 up was basically us saying 'yep we're done come and get us', f**k this deadshit team and especially f**k Plodkinson and the two that just watched that ball at the end there.

Commentators said the call to take the 2 points came from the sideline. Coach has to put his hand ip for that decision.

Alex28

Coach

Or, they have to score 4 times to hit the lead.

It's only Rugby League 101. If they didn't and Hokko kicked another dumb kick we'd be bitching that he didn't take the 2.

Swarzey

Bench
Commentators said the call to take the 2 points came from the sideline. Coach has to put his hand ip for that decision.

I highly doubt that. I believe more often than not it's the players; they're the ones on the field knowing and understanding the situation better than the coach.

Us (Hodkinson) thought we could defend the lead. We couldn't.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I highly doubt that. I believe more often than not it's the players; they're the ones on the field knowing and understanding the situation better than the coach.

Us (Hodkinson) thought we could defend the lead. We couldn't.

Quoting the commentators on Fox mate. In the same breath Kev Walters said it was a dud decision as we had em on the rack. Think we all agree on that regardless of who made the call.

Apey

Staff member
Or, they have to score 4 times to hit the lead.

It's only Rugby League 101. If they didn't and Hokko kicked another dumb kick we'd be bitching that he didn't take the 2.

Kicking for 2 only works if you can actually defend and control field position. We can't do either. Our only hope is outscoring our opposition. We had a 22 buffer and that still wasn't enough. It is almost always a dumb choice for us.

Hodkinson's kick that went straight to the Rapana in the in-goal was probably the single worst play of the game though. Rapana, a noted leaper with none of our players in sight. He's hopeless.

Alex28

Coach
Agree - should have been a grubber to give them a chance at another 6.

I'm probably alone, but I feel sorry for him. He has a fullback who is a winger, an 18 year old 5/8 and a 19 year old hooker. There is literally bugger all around him.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Does anyone really believe we would have scored a try ?

Maybe not. But we started the second half really well. Another 6 on their line with a repeat would have stuffed their big guys a bit more. We played our best when the fwds were punching holes 2 passes wide of the ruck and running their big blokes around.

The 2 points was a bit of a monentum killer imo. We played to not lose when we ahould have chased more points.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Agree - should have been a grubber to give them a chance at another 6.

I'm probably alone, but I feel sorry for him. He has a fullback who is a winger, an 18 year old 5/8 and a 19 year old hooker. There is literally bugger all around him.

Mate, he put in 2 terrible kicks that handed the Raidersame 7 tackle sets on a row

It was late in the game and needed better. Can't blame that on a shit back line

Caped Crusader

Juniors
F*** me. Third time in 17 games we have been competitive and in the game. People didn't complain as hard after they got belted by 50.

Clearly Brown is figuring out long-term who fits in where. It's the best we have gone in months. Sione and Cornish went great.

Enough with the bitching and look at the bigger picture.

If you're even remotely happy with that then you are a clear part of the "participation award" mentality this club has been infected with for years

Getting belted by 50 means they are not good enough. Leading by 22 then losing means they don't care enough

Simple

Nuffy

Bench
If you're even remotely happy with that then you are a clear part of the "participation award" mentality this club has been infected with for years

Getting belted by 50 means they are not good enough. Leading by 22 then losing means they don't care enough

Simple

Agree 100%. After getting to a good lead and in the box seat to win only their second game, you'd think they'd literally kill blokes to win that game.

Nope, dumb penalties, mistakes and poor options. They are comfortable with losing.