What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Raiders 3/7/16

Reading our forum is deadset exhausting. No two ways about it. MAybe we should consider this our therapy. Knights Supporters Anonymous.

Nuffy

Bench
If it's Origin, Boyd is back there and not Gagai. I'd also suggest there would be a few others getting back there to block runners coming through. I'd expect the QLD SOO team to be a bit more organised than our frankenteam...

Okay, you win post of the week, I can't stop laughing at your description of our team.

Frankenteam, absolute gold.

Noname36

First Grade
Does Hodkinson actually speak on the field??

What did people think of Tapine's performance today?

Typical Tapine performance.

Like Perv said, looked dangerous the few times he has a go but lazy AF.

The lack of talk on the field at the moment, particularly from Hodko is disturbing. Who is he expecting to do it? Cogger lol? Levi?

Spot On

Coach
I expected him to be very vocal at the end of 80. I know he had a cut to the back of the head but surely he he would speak up and tell them what he wanted/expected. There's really only 2 things they had to achieve as a team in the first 5 mins of extra time, and he would be on the end of it.

Even in the last 10 mins of normal time he should have been in to them. But no, quite as a church mouse.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
That was the most heartbreaking loss I've ever had to endure as a Knights fan, and there's been a lot of them over the years. It's not that the loss itself was so painful but just what a win would have meant to me as a fan in the context of this season. Super disappointing result, but it had a sense of inevitability to it really, at no point did I ever feel we had a safe lead, even when we were 22-0 up. There were several key moments that lost us this game imo.

1. Letting Austin score just before half time. This let the raiders back into the game big time and gave them a shot of confidence, had we kept them to 0 at half time and then started the second half well then they would have been pressured into the same dumb errors that cost them in the first half.

2. Taking the 2 points, this cost us in the game v Parra a few weeks ago, I can't believe they didn't learn from that and keep the foot on the throat this time. The raiders goal line D is terrible so we would have been a fair chance of scoring imo.

3. Hodko's 2 poor kicks close to full time, they were diabolical plays at that point in the game, they were just such low percentage options and it has cost us all year from one of our most experienced players who has played enough big games to know better. To be fair to him he did kick a pressure field goal to get us into golden point but we should have iced the game a lot earlier and it should never have gotten to GP.

4. The unlucky bounce at the end of the game... Whilst he could have shown more urgency I don't know if there was much that Dane could have done there, if he had sprinted full on towards the ball he would have been wrong-footed by that bounce anyway, and of course the bounce went straight to the one raiders player who was there. We are just shit out of luck this year in just about everything that we do.

The positives are:

1. We were right in that game for 85 minutes and probably should have won it with a bit more composure at crucial times in the match. The last time we were in a game like that was probably 5 weeks ago v Parra? And we should have won that one too.

2. Our style of play in the first half was great to watch, we were offloading the ball and running their forwards off the park with quick play the balls and offloading, also it made our attack quite unpredictable and really hard to shut down.

3. Our young brigade were awesome yesterday, Barnett is making the most of his chance, he seems to have a good step and was looking to offload all the time. Sione is a beast! He dealt with the big raiders pack running at him all game and some of his 1:1 tackles were immense! And he is bending the line with every run at the moment, credit to Brown for moving him to second row to get him more involved in the game. Cogger had his best game imo, his defence was much better and he made a few crucial tackles on Papali who was trying to bulldoze him all game. He needs to run the ball a bit more though.

4. Randell was really good (until he went off injured that is) I really liked his kicking game from DH and it seemed like a definite plan they had practiced at training. His hit on Wighton after his chip kick was really impressive too. I can see why Brown sees him as a leader in the team now, he does a lot of the little things well and his enthusiasm around the ruck is good for the team.

Overall it was obviously a very disappointing result but if we play like we did in the first half every week and try and build it into an 80 minute performance we'll definitely be right in the mix to win a few more games this year, which then gives us something to build on heading into 2017 <

Rod

Bench
Good summary mate, I agree with everything there except for the penalty goal. I understand the concept of trying to get another try but that penalty put us up 3 converted tries. That should be enough to close it out and even though we struggled from then on we still had many opportunities to do so. Even only up 6, if we had been smarter, that penalty goal would have allowed us to attempt a FG to take it to 7 instead of that awful Hodkinson kick to the corner. It also required Croker to kick a goal from the sideline which often he would have missed.

It it ends up 25-24 or 24-22 like in those above scenarios suddenly the penalty goal looks very sensible.

Anyone else reckon that if Randell was out there for the second half that we would have got home. I know levi is an up and comer, but he has been a bit underwhelming for me. I know hooker is one of the hardest positions to master at NRL level but Randell just seems to have the team a lot more organised and gets them going forward a lot better.

Bedsy was one of the best exponents of getting teams on the front foot and building momentum, it is now showing in Randell and hopefully Levi picks it up.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Anyone else reckon that if Randell was out there for the second half that we would have got home. I know levi is an up and comer, but he has been a bit underwhelming for me. I know hooker is one of the hardest positions to master at NRL level but Randell just seems to have the team a lot more organised and gets them going forward a lot better.

Bedsy was one of the best exponents of getting teams on the front foot and building momentum, it is now showing in Randell and hopefully Levi picks it up.

2 things...Firstly, I believe he is still carrying a back injury that is significantly hampering his prep and playing ability.

Secondly, I think Levis still a season off being up to the full on weekly grind of FG - I actually said after the end of last year I thought he was ready but I think the physical demands are more than his body can cope with at present, which is why I think he is prone to this injury recurring.

On these 2 points I'd have Randell filling the role for the rest of the season and probably giving Danny more time to develop in the NYC or NSW cup for the rest of this year...mentioned this in other threads but the big problem with developing juniors who aren't ready is destroying or crippling their careers because there body isn't physically mature enough to step up

So true. I think the NRL needs to bring in a rule to protect the kids and forbid NRL until they are 21. Injiuries like that can cripple them before they are 30. It is not about ability. It is about physicality. getting hit by 300 kgs plus every hit up is going to ruin them.

Last edited:
The lack of talk on the field at the moment, particularly from Hodko is disturbing. Who is he expecting to do it? Cogger lol? Levi?

In the post match Brown says Sione does a lot of talking. I don't know who to when he is out in the centres. Maybe the touchy.
We know Mullen does. They call him"cranky pants" for a reason.
Hodko is too cruisey. Some can afford to appear cruisey but Hodko hasn't earned that privilege. I don;t think we;d see him fired-up if his pants were on fire.

Maybe. I noticed we missed Randell in the 2nd half. He does seem to get the fwds better organised behind him and sometimes following through with him. I like it when fwds get the ball with momentum.

We stopped doing what had done to get ahead and fell into a conservative defensive mode. Support play and offloads went missing for one-out runs and kicks for touch. Sometimes that can work.

Maybe we just weren't up to it at this stage. We might have fallen back into "what we know" after taking a bit out of us in the first half, lack of knowing how to win and, basically, inexperience. We knew they would hit us harder the 2nd half. We needed to attack.

Randell may or may not have made a difference but I would have liked to see if he would have.

I agree abut Levi. I think he needs a break. Plenty of time for his time and if he needs surgery he should get it ASAP.