What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tears of the Bogan

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/8847d409aee7db08de2eafd3398ff392

AN emotional Josh Dugan has revealed he’s been trying for five years to change the public’s perception of him for the better.
But the former Kangaroos and NSW rep star says the media has sabotaged any chance he’s had of doing so.

The Sharks centre says he’s been an “easy target since 2013... when I got sacked from Canberra”.

“Everyone has had an opinion of me since then and it’s never going to change.”

He pointed to work he’s been doing off the field that goes unnoticed.

“I raised $15,000 for a young boy recently, visited him in hospital, he passed away, you didn’t hear about that,” Dugan told a media all-in, struggling to keep it together.

“I’ve got my diploma in community social work... things you don’t hear about.

“I’ve always felt like I can help people because of what I’ve been through... and I’ll continue to do that.”

But the negative headlines since his infamous Bacardi Breezers on the roof episode with Blake Ferguson has clearly taken a toll.

“There’s probably one [good news story] every couple of months, other than that negativity sells papers,” he bristled.

“I’ve copped a lot of brunt for the things I’ve done and I’ve accepted that and moved on, but it doesn’t help when negativity sells papers more than feel-good stories.”

Most recently, he was embroiled in a podcast scandal with Andrew Fifita, in which the pair insulted veteran league reporter and Sharks tragic Phil Rothfield.

In February, he was also with Fifita when the pair were thrown out of Cronulla RSLfor swearing and causing a scene.

And last year, he was again with Ferguson when they had a lengthy drinking session at Lennox Point Hotel just days out from the Origin decider, which NSW of course lost convincingly.

His skipper Paul Gallen revealed he’s been trying to help Dugan deal with the the media attention, particularly social media abuse, and understands why he’s struggling.

“I know how hard it is when the media is into you... I think social media's the biggest thing for Duges... It can be a cesspool for gooses.”

Poor old Jed.

some11

Referee
Thought this was a betoota article at first.

Just buy a cardigan and convert to islam ya bogan.

But seriously, playing good footy consistently is the only way to win over the public. Something he can't do because he's so injury prone - might have something to do with the way he approaches training and rehab considering his antics.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
Look I enjoy a good Jed bashing as much as the next bloke, but an actual kid died and the way the net works these days that kid’s family will probably find this thread at some point.

So condolences to the poor kid’s family, and if Dugan was able to brighten his shortened time here then that is a great thing that Josh did.

He’s still a bogan though

Life's Good

Coach
Whatever he’s been doing for 5 years clearly isn’t working. He sure hasn’t helped himself with his off field antics that make him an easy target.

As for the wider game, I agree that the media like to stick the boot in at every opportunity. It’s only last week they were reporting a ‘bombshell’ revelation about Tigers players in a drug bust. Simply a nothing story.
It appears that once you are on the wrong side of the media there’s no way back irrespective of your efforts to change.

Generalzod

Immortal
Whatever he’s been doing for 5 years clearly isn’t working. He sure hasn’t helped himself with his off field antics that make him an easy target.

As for the wider game, I agree that the media like to stick the boot in at every opportunity. It’s only last week they were reporting a ‘bombshell’ revelation about Tigers players in a drug bust. Simply a nothing story.
It appears that once you are on the wrong side of the media there’s no way back irrespective of your efforts to change.
Really though whst where his crimes drinking on a roof top a bottle of cruiser and calling Rothfield a dick head hangable offence stuff...the world has gone mad

gordsy

Juniors
Dugan might be a tosser but what he's done off the field isn't really worth writing about. I take my hat off to him for doing what he can to make the life of a terminally ill kid better. It's better than what a lot of us on here can do so hats off to him for that and I'm sure that poor family is appreciative of that as well. Good work Duges.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
Dugan , while he has been a douchebag in the past, made a valid point.
Most people on here, at one stage or another, have said exactly what he said today.
The media are f**kwits, particularly the News Limited journalists, who take every opportunity to run down the exact game that their very own careers depend on.
Instead of photographers staking out Mad Monday celebrations, why aren't they out there taking pics of players of, in this example, spending time with a young kid in the last days of his life.
Why? Because they are leaches of the highest order.
These people have no scruples and they disgust me.