What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teenage referee punched in the face at junior rugby league match

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I could find a thread on this anywhere, so ill chuck this here. Feel free to merge it....

Junior rugby league was marred by violence on Saturday as a 34-year-old man was arrested and charged after allegedly punching a 16-year-old referee in the face during a game in Sydney's south.
NSW Police responded to reports of an assault at a playing field at Anzac Avenue, Engadine, which is home to the Engadine Dragons, a junior rugby league club affiliated with the Cronulla-Sutherland District Junior Rugby Football League.
A NSW Police Force spokesman told Fairfax Media that around 1pm on Saturday, police from Sutherland Local Command responded to reports of an attack at the ground. The older man was taken to Sutherland Police Station where he was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The teenage referee was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics before being taken to the Children's Hospital at Randwick in a stable condition.
When Fairfax Media spoke to the young referee's grandfather, he confirmed the boy had been involved in an "incident".
Advertisement

"He's in hospital but I don't know much more than at present," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/teenage-referee-punched-in-the-face-at-junior-rugby-league-match-20160618-gpmcmb.html

This is utterly f*cked and totally RLs own doing....

The sideline culture our game has in some Junior areas is f*cking toxic and RL bodies have willingly turned a blind eye.

I hope that this gets our admin Dinosaurs off their asses and forces them to finally do SOMETHING!!!!!

Spot On

Coach
I could find a thread on this anywhere, so ill chuck this here. Feel free to merge it....

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/teenage-referee-punched-in-the-face-at-junior-rugby-league-match-20160618-gpmcmb.html

This is utterly f*cked and totally RLs own doing....

The sideline culture our game has in some Junior areas is f*cking toxic and RL bodies have willingly turned a blind eye.

I hope that this gets our admin Dinosaurs off their asses and forces them to finally do SOMETHING!!!!!

It won't.

innsaneink

Referee
Hope the young fella is OK and sticks with his refereeing, but understandable if he turfs his whistle

The prick that did this needs to be shamed...should do time I hope

carcharias

Immortal
I only saw the aftermath
Cops galore
The punchers kid alledgedly has autism and the ref sent him off after kicking another player.
Dad freaked out and went ballistic .

( sent off - asked to be subbed )

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Hope the young fella is OK and sticks with his refereeing, but understandable if he turfs his whistle

The prick that did this needs to be shamed...should do time I hope

I just find it incredible that in some places Junior RL cant get enough refs together to cover the days games and the admin acts SURPRISED!!!

When this kind of thing is normal, im surprised they game anyone doing the job.

Latest posts