What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telegraph: Raiders ko'd by Eels

Hurriflatch

Referee
Raiders ko'd by Eels

August 29, 2005

PARRAMATTA booted Canberra out of the premiership yesterday. Kicked the tripe out of them, in fact. And in doing so, showed they have the best kicking game of any team in the NRL.

Eels halves Tim Smith and John Morris – along with utility Dean Widders – laid on four tries through their varied, exciting and precise general-play kicking.

Outside Andrew Johns at Newcastle, Parramatta have the finest kicking game in the premiership.

And it may just be the X-factor Parramatta need to record their first premiership since 1986.

The tries from the boot of Smith, Morris and Widders just kept coming yesterday as Parramatta won the second half 42-0.

Widders grubbered through for Parramatta centre Ben Smith to score in the 66th minute.

Tim Smith grubbered cleverly three minutes later for Ben Smith to score again.

Halfback Tim put in a beautifully weighted bomb in the 73rd minute for Eels winger Luke Burt to score.

And then Morris kicked through splendidly for Burt to score again near fulltime.

"They definitely have one of the best kicking games," said Canberra coach Matt Elliott.

"Both their halves were outstanding kicking the ball. It is of the highest quality there is.

"They have an excellent kicking game but the bloke in Newcastle (Johns) is also a great kicker."

Tim Smith said he and Morris worked tirelessly on their kicking game with Parramatta assistant coach and former champion kicker Jason Taylor.

"We do a lot of practice," he said.

Asked how long it had been since Parramatta had such a wonderful kicking game, Eels captain Nathan Cayless added: "It's been a while. The boys take pride in their kicking game."

Eels coach Brian Smith said his halfback Tim Smith showed enormous maturity during the second half.

Brian said Tim was shattered at half-time after missing a simple tackle in the 37th minute on Canberra forward Ian Hindmarsh, who scored a try.

"Tim was so disappointed," Brian said. "We had a chat at half-time and he put it to one side during the second half.

"Today I thought he made better decisions with his kicking game, even when the score became fat our way. I was happy with his maturity."

Tim added: "I was dirty on myself.

"The boys had a chat to me and got me up for the second half."

Canberra played tough in the first half and led 10-6 at half-time although Parramatta blew several tries.

But the Eels trounced Canberra in the second half, scoring seven unanswered tries in a mind-blowing demolition.

The loss ended Canberra's ambitions of reaching this season's finals.

Burt scored three tries and kicked eight goals for a tally of 28 points – equalling the club record he set in 2002.

Parramatta 48 (L Burt 3 B Smith 3 M Riddell T Smith tries L Burt 8 goals) Canberra 10 (P Graham I Hindmarsh tries C Schifcofske goal). Referee: T Mander. The Daily Telegraph

Latest posts