What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telstra offering free Digital Pass to customers

roofromoz

First Grade
Optus did the same thing over the summer with the cricket - watched heaps of BBL on my phone with the live pass thingy.

colly

Juniors
As I have been saying to tone deaf Perth Red Telstra would use Kayo which Telstra 40% owns to bring the streaming instead of the 'apps', Telstra live. This just proves that Telstra are not Contributing to the AFL 2 year foxtel agreement, ( was 50m p/a previously ) that makes it laughable the absurd claim the AFL says of a $946m contract over the two year extension.
I had the app a couple of years ago when you could cast to your TV- for $14.99 after they put a block on casting - It was unwatchable and a chore to sign up yearly.

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
  • NRL blocks Telstra streams from 2023

League seeks to mark up OTT rights value ahead of new Nine negotiations.

• Telstra has confirmed that Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL) will prevent the telecommunications firm from streaming games from 2023, with organisers instead attempting to strike a five-year broadcast extension with the Nine Network.

The decision comes days after the NRL agreed a broadcast extension with Foxtel, for which Telstra owns 35 per cent, through to 2027. The deal stipulates that Foxtel is prohibited from selling on the digital rights for the new cycle, having previously been entitled to as part of a five-year, AUD$100 million (US$69 million) agreement.

“We are ... disappointed to learn the NRL, through their agreement with Foxtel, has decided not to make those digital rights on mobile available beyond 2022,” a Telstra spokesperson told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“We have not been a party to those discussions and will obviously need to engage with the NRL to understand what the implications are for our partnership in the long term.”

Though the decision will surely irk Telstra, the NRL’s title sponsor, the league’s rationale is reportedly that protecting its streaming rights will mark up its value ahead of fresh negotiations with Nine, which could reportedly take place as early as next month.

Foxtel and Nine only recently agreed anew domestic broadcast rights deal with the NRL reportedly worth as much as AUD$2 billion (US$1.38 billion), although other outlets have estimated it closer to AUD$1 billion (US$690 million). The deals will see pay-TV network Foxtel continue to air NRL matches until the end of the 2027 season, while Nine has committed to free-to-air (FTA) coverage until the end of the current rights cycle in 2022.

The Foxtel extension allows subscription service Kayo to stream all eight matches for the remainder of the 2020 season. Should Nine also agree to an extension until 2027, all games will be available through its television channel and the 9Now over-the-top (OTT) streaming app.

Telstra customers can currently access games for free through the NRL app and Telstra Live Pass, but the league hopes that removing Telstra’s capacity to stream games will add value to future FTA broadcast deals.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Nine has been frustrated with the NRL in recent weeks due to its belief Telstra should be forced to charge an additional fee as stipulated. Currently, the league is not requiring Telstra to charge its customers for access as part of its current deal.

Telstra initially secured the digital rights in 2015 as part of the deal signed by the NRL with Foxtel and Nine. The telecommunications provider is also in broadcast discussions with the Australian Football League (AFL), though has thus far declined to comment on the future of AFL content on Telstra Live Pass past 2022.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nrl-telstra-live-pass-streaming-rights-nine-foxtel

So it was the NRL which killed telstra live pass- and not before time. Notice it was sold by Foxtel to Telstra which it looks like we/NRL did not benefit from financially.
Should Nine also agree to an extension until 2027, all games will be available through its television channel and the 9Now over-the-top (OTT) streaming app.
Maybe on sell FTA and streaming rights to Nine and Ten but we need to create more content like Games before the main game. ( extra content games on both Saturday and more importantly on Sunday so as to keep Ten TV interested. If we have a international tournament ( dates 2/3 week of October to 3/4 week in November) for the years in between world cup's ( currently 3 years) That would make a package to desirable to TV.

colly

Juniors
The Foxtel extension allows subscription service Kayo to stream all eight matches for the remainder of the 2020 season. Should Nine also agree to an extension until 2027, all games will be available through its television channel and the 9Now over-the-top (OTT) streaming app.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nrl-telstra-live-pass-streaming-rights-nine-foxtel
Most likely just their 3 fta games.
Kayo/fox will have exclusive streaming rights to all 8 games. It’s their future and they know it, it’s what they will have paid big for hopefully.
The bold text from the article is vague. If it allows Ch9 to buy all 8 games then Foxtel/Kayo will be made redundant to people on a budget. What I think it means is people who watch Ch9 live through the 9Now stream will be able to access the 3 games Ch9 show. On Ch7 they block out the Big Bash games on their live streaming channel and just show the score because Foxtel has the streaming rights.

I hope there's a clause that allows Ch9 to stream all 8 games on Stan Sport. If Foxtel don't have exclusive streaming rights then that will allow the game to be accessed on Kayo and any other platform that paid for them.

colly

Juniors
Most likely just their 3 fta games.
Kayo/fox will have exclusive streaming rights to all 8 games. It’s their future and they know it, it’s what they will have paid big for hopefully.
And you have no proof of what you say. Yet i provide a link to 'paper report saying the opposite of what you say, that is, ALL games can be FTA televised and STREAMED.
So it comes down to this. Perth Red business experience against Vlandy. Perth red says Vlandy went to water while he was the 'the seller' and gave all the product ( away) to Foxtel/kayo.

What was the point of the NRL/Vlandy signing a contract (with Foxtel) saying Foxtel cant onsell or give Telstra the streaming rights-
It was because Vlandy is going to sell them to Nine or 10 - that's why

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...-strategy-after-nrl-snub-20200614-p552dy.html
It was a move by Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V'landys that Telstra did not see coming.
Buried in the fine print of the NRL's extended rights deal with pay TV operator Foxtel was a decision that almost slipped by unnoticed: Telstra customers would no longer be able to stream NRL games on their phones for free from 2023 onwards.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The bold text from the article is vague. If it allows Ch9 to buy all 8 games then Foxtel/Kayo will be made redundant to people on a budget. What I think it means is people who watch Ch9 live through the 9Now stream will be able to access the 3 games Ch9 show. On Ch7 they block out the Big Bash games on their live streaming channel and just show the score because Foxtel has the streaming rights.

I hope there's a clause that allows Ch9 to stream all 8 games on Stan Sport. If Foxtel don't have exclusive streaming rights then that will allow the game to be accessed on Kayo and any other platform that paid for them.

Foxtel have exclusive streaming rights to all games Id bet my house on it. It is their only real hope of existing into the next decade. Like you said FTA will get its 3 games and may if they are lucky get highlights or replays to put something together on Stan sports but even then I can not see Fox wanting to share its golden goose. Pretty sure they would have been very happy to see the NRL cut Telstra out as it once again sures up the exclusivity of the platform that their future is going to rely on. Same reason Telstra has decided the AFL the same way. Telstra being big share owners know that they need to protect their Fox investment and Kayo is the future of that.

All I hope is that Vlandys held them over a barrel for those exclusive streaming rights as they are the golden egg the NRL has to sell into the future.

And you have no proof of what you say. Yet i provide a link to 'paper report saying the opposite of what you say, that is, ALL games can be FTA televised and STREAMED.
So it comes down to this. Perth Red business experience against Vlandy. Perth red says Vlandy went to water while he was the 'the seller' and gave all the product ( away) to Foxtel/kayo.

A GROD says its very vague, there is no context for if it is referring to all 8 games or all games Ch9 has the screening rights to. I've explained above why I can not see Fox allowing the NRL to sell the same product to two different directly competing providers. The value to KAYO is in exclusivity.