What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ten Minutes on the Rower

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Recently after doing some intervals on the running machine I've jumped on the rower for ten minute, and go pretty hard. Just for something different.

I can get to about 2350m in ten minutes.

I'm just wondering what benefits it may provide, if at all, and what other thoughts you may have on the rowing machine.

Do any of you use it regularly?

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Good for changing up your cardio and for those who have lower leg or joint issues that prevent them from running.

I used to jump between the treddie, bike and rower when I was interval training at the gym. Forces your body to "shunt" blood around to supply different muscle groups.

Thomas

First Grade
Good for changing up your cardio and for those who have lower leg or joint issues that prevent them from running.

I used to jump between the treddie, bike and rower when I was interval training at the gym. Forces your body to "shunt" blood around to supply different muscle groups.

I do that twice a week on my non-weights days.

3 sets of:

1km run
2km cycle
500m row

The row is done as fast as I can and I try and get it under 2 minutes for 500m.

It's a great way to get some awesome cardio with moderate resistance.

Ram Man

Juniors
I reckon its the best cardio machine getting around.
Had a little session I would do after my weights were I would do 5km on the rower in under 20 mins. Its pretty tough to do and its more of a full body work out that a tready and bike. I missed the 20 minute mark on my first try but after a couple of months was getting in at about 17 mins. I actually spewed into my towel at the gym when I did that one but it the best cardio you can do in my opinion.

Hanscholo

Bench
Recently after doing some intervals on the running machine I've jumped on the rower for ten minute, and go pretty hard. Just for something different.

I can get to about 2350m in ten minutes.

I'm just wondering what benefits it may provide, if at all, and what other thoughts you may have on the rowing machine.

Do any of you use it regularly?

I train on the rower 2-3 times a week, in combination with other activities. I use it for interval training only these days, occasionally ill set a 2000m time, just to see where my fitness is.

I do 30sec sprint (about 1:35/500m pace for a sprint), 30 sec rest, repeat for 10 mins, rest for 2min then do over. It hurts but its essentially how pro athletes train and it gives amazing results. If you have to go to the time and effort to go to the gym you may as well rip in.

Its a great machine to use to either get fit or lose weight. The interval training is extremely hard so take it easy at first. I recall starting on it about two years ago, just rowing for 10 mins, then i started to do 20min built up a base then moving on to interval training, doing 30 sec sprint 2min rest then slowly reducing the rest time so now its 50/50 rest to sprint ratio. The increase in my fitness has been pretty amazing. I can do a sub 7:30 for 2000m. Given where i came from at about 9:00 its been great for me. From your 2300m in 10 mins seems like you are about where i was when i started.

Just take ur time moving up the level of stress on yourself. Just remember when you sprint, go as hard as you can, that way your effort level naturally increases with your skill and your benefits remain at the same level. Combine that with a similar sprint schedule on a stationary bike and you will get great results. Fitness + power and muscle gains.

When i started i was 114kg @179cm, im 92kg now at 23% body fat and i do a 5km run 4 times a week. I couldn't even run 15m when i first started. I was a heavy smoker/ party boy as well so i came from a fair way back.

One last piece of advice, focus on your technique. make sure you draw all the way up and lean right over so that your hands are virtually touching the fan with the oar, it should nearly feal like your backside wants to lift off the seat as you curl up, then explode back with your legs and pull back the oar back up to your chest and flex your back backwards to complete a stroke. Too many people have a really bad technique. I'd say one in 10 I see that get it evenly remotely correct. Its vital you get that right first, because if you dont, you will miss out on the benefit to your legs, arse, upper back and abs.

Best of luck.