What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thaiday wants to be a Bronco for life.

JW

Coach
Bronco Thaiday comes of age
By Dan Koch
September 16, 2005

WHEN Brisbane prop forward Shane Webcke limped from Penrith Stadium in round 24 with what appeared a serious knee injury, fans saw the Broncos' premiership hopes limp off with him.

However, young prop Sam Thaiday saw an opportunity and knew what was required.

"We had a few blokes out and 'Webbie' went down. The finals were coming up and I knew it was time for me to man up and stop being a little boy," Thaiday said.

"I didn't want to be one of the 'Baby Broncos' any more. I want to be one of the big boys and I knew it was time for me to stand up and be counted."

Stand up he did. Coming off the bench against the Sydney Roosters Thaiday made an immediate impact, driving opponents in defence and seemingly brushing them off with contempt in attack.

He backed that up with another stand-out effort against Parramatta in the last round of the regular season. Wary of going over the top, coach Wayne Bennett warned "one swallow doesn't make a summer", calling on the 108kg powerhouse to deliver on a more regular basis.

Thaiday answered the call with another solid performance against Melbourne in last week's second qualifying final at Suncorp Stadium and is determined to continue to improve in Sunday's elimination semi-final against Wests Tigers at Aussie Stadium.

"I felt I started the year pretty strongly but faded off a bit and nobody remembers how you start a year, it's all about how you finish it," Thaiday said.

"Wayne spoke to me about getting some consistency into my game and I have just been trying to string some good performance together and lock up a place in the side.

"The forward pack certainly isn't getting any younger," Smith said. "There is plenty of experience at the highest level but age is becoming our enemy.

"Most of the guys probably have a couple of good years left in them, but there are definitely opportunities there for young guys coming through the grades to establish themselves as long-term players at the club.

"Sammy has really put his hand up lately and it's great too see."

Thaiday conceded he got ahead of himself at times since arriving at Red Hill in 2003, expecting things to come as easily as they did in junior football.

A big effort during pre-season and a more dedicated approach to training and nutrition is starting to bring out the best in a player some have compared to former Broncos skipper and fellow north Queensland product Gorden Tallis, due to the pair's combination of athleticism, skill and power.

"I re-signed for three years this year because I want to be a Broncos man for life," Thaiday said.

"I used to get annoyed and think I would never get a chance with Petero and Brad Thorn and Webbie there, but now I see it as a blessing because I can learn so much from them. I want to be here when those guys phase out.

"Hopefully, I can do the same sort of job for the club that they have done for so long."

The Australian

I love hearing those words. Onya Sammy :D

Kiwi

First Grade
thats great. Guys like Parker, Thaiday, Stagg ect are the future of our forward pack. No doubt a few other players will come through the ranks, but it's a great start.

Latest posts