What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank You Daily Telegraph

HAL

Juniors
for some international rl coverage in todays paper,a year out from the main event

Nat bad. I actually have some faith that whatever crap we cop next year, most of it shouldn't come from the News Ltd papers at least. After all they are so closely tied to the NRL it might help censor some of the hacks therein. Plus the Courier Mail is likely to back the tournament big time because it's based in Qld. Doesn't help with others like Fitzsimons etc, in fact if the Fairfax press sees the News rags in bed with the RLIF it might even provoke a few more snipes, but hopefully not. The other reason to be hopeful is the desperation for Aussies to run successful events. It happened with Sydney 2000, the UWC and the Commonwealth Games so I don't see why we can't benefit too.

ali

Bench
East Coast Tiger said:
Nat bad. I actually have some faith that whatever crap we cop next year, most of it shouldn't come from the News Ltd papers at least. After all they are so closely tied to the NRL it might help censor some of the hacks therein. Plus the Courier Mail is likely to back the tournament big time because it's based in Qld. Doesn't help with others like Fitzsimons etc, in fact if the Fairfax press sees the News rags in bed with the RLIF it might even provoke a few more snipes, but hopefully not. The other reason to be hopeful is the desperation for Aussies to run successful events. It happened with Sydney 2000, the UWC and the Commonwealth Games so I don't see why we can't benefit too.

I think it's the opposite actually. Fairfax, and especially Roy Masters has written some of the most positive stuff yet. Pretty much because News Ltd doesn't have an involvement. With Mascord being close the number 1 writer at the Tele, that leaves us looking pretty safe in Sydney all round.

I agree with your last couple of points though.

Hope you're right. I have no doubt Masters in particular will big the tourney up but I'm worried about some of the others who will be just waiting for a chance to snipe at RL. Hopefully they will be drowned out by good press and a bit of national pride.

ali

Bench
East Coast Tiger said:
Hope you're right. I have no doubt Masters in particular will big the tourney up but I'm worried about some of the others who will be just waiting for a chance to snipe at RL. Hopefully they will be drowned out by good press and a bit of national pride.

Furthermore, I also hope, and I'll doing my all to promote this, that a fair portion of the tickets are soldout by the time the press get around to noticing some of the negatives.