What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That is Why you DON'T Pick Players The Media Wants!

lucablight

First Grade
about 80 of those meters came from that one break he made, the only highlight of his otherwise very dissapointing night. as for "making it to the 40-50m line on occasions", that says nothing about how he played, catching the ball on your own 20 and jogging up to get tackled on your 40 doesnt equate to a good kick return

It's amazing how we can watch the same game and have such conflicting opinions. I find it astounding that anyone can say a fullback had a poor game when he ran for over 200m. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought Slater was one of QLD's best.

Meanie

Juniors
Some people really have no clue, dead set Slater was one of Queensland's best. If it was Hunt at fullback we'd be talking about how Hunt got smashed all night. Billy hit the ball at full speed everytime, but when you're not getting good support play then it doesn't really help. Trying to justify punting him for one bad pass is f**king pathetic too. Queensland's problem was their gameplan, they didn't turn up with one. They need Lockyer or Prince in there so it's not all Thurston and Cameron Smith needs to wake up and start getting them going through the middle, THEN the opportunities can open up for the outside backs. Watching Queensland tonight reminded me of watching the Broncos from 2003-2007, one out, one out, one out, occasional spread of the ball, kick.

Hunt to the bench would be a great move too as the guy provides spark and can cover most positions on the field.

Shorty

Staff member
Slater was one of Queensland's best,what?
Yes some people have no clue indeed.

Mr Saab

Referee
His kick returns were pathetic, running softly accross the line and getting driven back most times. I stuck up for his selection as i thought he was the best man for the job but i think he handed Hunt his jersey back tonight. In turn i think Hunt can put a line through his aspirations to be a half or 5/8, his attack was non existant tonight.

And Carl Webb was as useful as Julia Gillard in a miss Universe comp

DJShaksta

First Grade
Slater and Hunt, where to start.

1. Slater - targetted all night with kicks, and then hammered by the defence everytime. Wallace and Bird kicked to him every chance they could, and the defence got to him before he could offload the ball to either winger. He was defended out of the game. By the time he threw that ball into touch he was so tired I am surprised he knew what way to run.

2. Hunt- Again, as I predicted when the QLD side was named, had to do too much defence for his petrol tank, when he had the ball in hand he was stuffed. He pulled of some great hits on Hoffman, but he couldn't sustain that intensity and when it came time to attack he had nothing.

The entire QLD team was poor bar a few. Hodges tried his arse off, as did JT.

QLD lost because Bellyache gave up the info on his Storm players and NSW shut them out.

lucablight

First Grade
Carl Webb is a myth IMO. Can't see what all the fuss is about. The only thing he's done at origin level is make Luke Bailey drop the ball once.

Dragon

Coach
Ahhh Lockyno1... the only person that can unite NSW and Qld on Origin to a common cause...

f**k OFF LOCKY.

:clap:

Slater is the best fullback in the world at the moment. Yet this nuffy thinks someone else could do better, f**k off

Credit HAS to go to Bellamy. He did it perfectly. What coach in the last 3 years in their right mind would have a gameplan to actually kick TO slater? Tonight we saw how to weaken him, how to run him off his legs. NRL coaches take note.

hellteam

First Grade
this is the best thread i have ever seen. slater was always going to be bad at origin. its just not the same game. it wasnt on a field suited to him he was sliding around everywhere. and theres just not going to be any gaps in nsw defence line. terrible selection. hunt will be there next game with prince at 6.

if not, nsw will win it in 2

hellteam

First Grade
:clap:

Slater is the best fullback in the world at the moment. Yet this nuffy thinks someone else could do better, f**k off

Credit HAS to go to Bellamy. He did it perfectly. What coach in the last 3 years in their right mind would have a gameplan to actually kick TO slater? Tonight we saw how to weaken him, how to run him off his legs. NRL coaches take note.

but they did kick to slater tonight, i remember at least 3 times him catching the ball on the run and whilst usally in an nrl game he would make a half break or a break, he just cant do it in origin. hunt organises better in defence and runs the ball back better. and doesnt throw cut out passes over the sideline

Big Pete

Referee
The biggest problem with QLD is the fact they didn't switch anything around. Come the second half it should've been....

1. Hunt
2. Inglis
4. Tate
6. C. Smith
9. B Slater

If that didn't work, keep changing it until it does.

hellteam

First Grade
yeah inglis needs to be on the wing, folau to the centres. in defence at least anyway. i just dont understand anyone saying that slater had a good game, or that he is a better option in origin then hunt

Ghoulies

Bench
Am I the only one who thought that they were just kicking to Slater by accident? It looked to me like Wallace and Bird were trying harder and harder as the game went on to get it away from Slater, as he was chewing up too many metres on kick returns.

the kirwan kid

Juniors
Slater tried but he just got smashed. I wouldn't say he had a bad perfomance but would have Hunt back there purely for his size. Tate shouldn't have been there - especially on the wing - but other than pushing Inglis out to the wing I can't see a lot of other options. Besides Myles and at times Hannant & petero our fowards were ourplayed.

NSW didn't allow us to play well and we just wilted under the pressure. They were full of enthusiasm.

If Lockyer is out for Game 2 Prince should come in ... hopefully Steve Price will be fit again by the 2nd one also. Can't see where we can make any other changes that will improve the line up really.

the kirwan kid

Juniors
Carl Webb is a myth IMO. Can't see what all the fuss is about. The only thing he's done at origin level is make Luke Bailey drop the ball once.

I'm a QLDer AND a cowboys supporter and I have to agree with you. Give me a non-stop tryer like Danny Nutley any day.

hellteam

First Grade
Am I the only one who thought that they were just kicking to Slater by accident? It looked to me like Wallace and Bird were trying harder and harder as the game went on to get it away from Slater, as he was chewing up too many metres on kick returns.

of course they were kicking it to slater by accident. no kicker kicks it directly to the fullback on purpose.

philstorm

Juniors
How the f**k was it Slaters' fault?

He at least tried. Same can't be said for most of the forward pack.