What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That not 'offside' leading to a try schemozzle

TheDMC

Bench
When that dude intercepted the ball, leading to a second half try for the Tits, he wasn't called offside because the play had moved on 10m.

Surely that is wrong??

If not you could hang out behind the opposition's attacking line, where the trainers muck about, have a quick masty, wait till the ball is passed and trail up behind the attackers and smoke their center or whoever once the play has moved on 10m.

I call bullshit on that ruling.

Another laughable league interpretation.

TheDalek079

Bench
The titans player had got back onside though. If you look where the ref stood for the players to be back 10m the Titans player then gets back to that mark before he catches the ball, so he's retreated back 10m. So IMO its fine.

jamaman

Juniors
The titans player had got back onside though. If you look where the ref stood for the players to be back 10m the Titans player then gets back to that mark before he catches the ball, so he's retreated back 10m. So IMO its fine.

your as backward as the video ref!

ozbash

Referee

He hadn't. . We had made 10 meters so he had 20 mtrs to cover just to be onside.

TheDMC

Bench
Let's put it real simple. The entire time he was BEHIND the ball. At what point and in what universe could that be onside. I don't give a rats ass if the play had moved on 200meters, he still never got onside at any single point.

gUt

Coach
I'm pretty sure it was the right call. He had retreated 10 metres from the play the ball and that's that.

Cheops

Juniors
It was fine, just unusual. If we'd made a 60 metre break and then Pettybourne had made a cover tackle, nobody would have said a thing. As soon as he's back 10 metres he's onside.

I can't really imagine too many chances to take advantage of that deliberately. You would have to choose to leave the line a man short, let the opposition run 10 metres and hope for a no look offload. The disadvantages would far outweigh the couple of times you could pull it off.

jaseg

Juniors
It was the right call by the rules (once you go 10m from the original mark you are onside) - but I agree it's a strange situation when a player can be onside at any point during a play when he has never been on the right side of the ball (until he takes it).

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I can't really imagine too many chances to take advantage of that deliberately. You would have to choose to leave the line a man short, let the opposition run 10 metres and hope for a no look offload. The disadvantages would far outweigh the couple of times you could pull it off.

Exactly. Seemed like a bizarre call because it very rarely ever happens, the reason for that being that it would be very risky for coaches to coach their players to do it on purpose.

I was a lot happier conceding that try than I was for the customary soft ones we let in earlier in the game.

ozbash

Referee
So that means a bunch of Titans could loiter 10 mtrs behind the play the ball and rush up and tackle our guys from behind....?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So that means a bunch of Titans could loiter 10 mtrs behind the play the ball and rush up and tackle our guys from behind....?

Lol just give the ball to SJ and shut the gate if they try that....

As others have said it's an odd little inconsistency in the laws that's a non issue because it hardly ever happens. Would've been a horrible thing to lose a game over but luckily it don't make any real difference to the end result.

Iafeta

Referee
It was the right call. The player is onside either if he's square as a marker (which he wasn't), stands in the defensive line 10 metres behind the ruck at the play the ball (which he wasn't), or takes no part in the play and retreats to the point where the defensive line started the play from 10 metres behind the play the ball (which he did). Manu then threw a ridiculous pass for the state of the game really. I can't believe that the sheer fact Manu threw such a dumb pass isn't the topic of conversation on the play, as it was a fairly clear cut try.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
In my opinion he was offside (or at least it should have stayed ref's call) as he was offside when Manu threw the pass. The pass was right to him and probably thrown in the mistaken belief that he was a Warriors player (as any Titans player standing where he was would be offside). So for me, he's offside because he'd only come back 7 or 8 metres when he got involved in the play.

gUt

Coach
In my opinion he was offside (or at least it should have stayed ref's call) as he was offside when Manu threw the pass. The pass was right to him and probably thrown in the mistaken belief that he was a Warriors player (as any Titans player standing where he was would be offside). So for me, he's offside because he'd only come back 7 or 8 metres when he got involved in the play.

He would have been if this was true but it's clear from where he was tackled to where he took the pass it was more than 10m.

vvvrulz

Coach
Manu then threw a ridiculous pass for the state of the game really. I can't believe that the sheer fact Manu threw such a dumb pass isn't the topic of conversation on the play, as it was a fairly clear cut try.

To be fair it was an instinctive pass, 9 times out of 10 you wouldn't expect an opposition player to pop up out of nowhere like that.

ozbash

Referee
It was the right call. The player is onside either if he's square as a marker (which he wasn't), stands in the defensive line 10 metres behind the ruck at the play the ball (which he wasn't), or takes no part in the play and retreats to the point where the defensive line started the play from 10 metres behind the play the ball (which he did). Manu then threw a ridiculous pass for the state of the game really. I can't believe that the sheer fact Manu threw such a dumb pass isn't the topic of conversation on the play, as it was a fairly clear cut try.

Should have had a Warriors jersey on then.. :)