What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That play- Running on the last.

Theflamingo

Juniors
Watching the game at home last night, when the Dragons ran it on the fifth with a minute to go I thought "OMG, what are you doing you boneheads!". But, watching it this morning, when Kurt Mann gets the ball he has a three-man overlap. If he passes it to Jai Field he is gone, with support. Now, we all know in the context of the game it was the wrong play (maybe), but again if Kurt Mann passes that ball it may be one of those moments that is talked about for years, like the Joey Jones play in the '97 grand final. But alas, it'll be forever known as the wrong play.

hewi

Bench
My take is it was an all or nothing play. IMO we couldn’t have won in twenty minutes of extra time and we certainly wouldn’t beat the roosters next week. I can only say I’m incredibly proud of the teams effort, boys have become men from this, Lomax, Luc, Lawrie, A mighty effort they can hold their heads high .

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Media and all the experts like sowie want to blame Benny hunt.

Watched the game over and that last play and can tell all the so called geniuses if Mann passes rather than come back in field was away with 2 in support.

So don’t everyone blame Benny hunt the guy played his heart out.

watatank

Coach
Media and all the experts like sowie want to blame Benny hunt.

Watched the game over and that last play and can tell all the so called geniuses if Mann passes rather than come back in field was away with 2 in support.

So don’t everyone blame Benny hunt the guy played his heart out.

If Hunt kicks the ball Souths don't start the set in our half.

giboz71

First Grade
My take is it was an all or nothing play. IMO we couldn’t have won in twenty minutes of extra time and we certainly wouldn’t beat the roosters next week. I can only say I’m incredibly proud of the teams effort, boys have become men from this, Lomax, Luc, Lawrie, A mighty effort they can hold their heads high .

I highly doubt we would have won in extra time. Their forwards were all over us and Reynolds would have kicked 10 field goals the way it was going . They were clinical in how they got him into position, not once but three times.

I’m guessing it’s why he pulled the trigger on that play. He didn’t want to go toe to toe with Reynolds to win the game which I think is a problem in itself.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hindsight is always subjective.

I can understand the play and there's always the IF that comes into it.

If either Hunt or Mann kick the ball, then probably Reynolds doesn't get a shot at the FG and we go to extra time where anything can happen.
If Mann passes the ball to Field he was probably away with support if needed.

We don't know whether Field called for it or not. We don't know why Mann stepped back inside and didn't look for an outside runner (the gap was created there). If the play was executed they way we could see it, then we basically score a try which wins us the game. We may never know if Field called it (or was just expecting it) or why Mann didn't look for it.

The point here is whether it was the correct play at that time? This maybe a debate that will rage on through the off-season, but IMO, I was ok with it. We at least were looking to win the game and maybe the look and reaction on McGregor's face was one that it was a move that was planned (and the reason why Field was included in the 17) just executed poorly.

Theflamingo

Juniors
Hindsight is always subjective.

I can understand the play and there's always the IF that comes into it.

If either Hunt or Mann kick the ball, then probably Reynolds doesn't get a shot at the FG and we go to extra time where anything can happen.
If Mann passes the ball to Field he was probably away with support if needed.

We don't know whether Field called for it or not. We don't know why Mann stepped back inside and didn't look for an outside runner (the gap was created there). If the play was executed they way we could see it, then we basically score a try which wins us the game. We may never know if Field called it (or was just expecting it) or why Mann didn't look for it.

The point here is whether it was the correct play at that time? This maybe a debate that will rage on through the off-season, but IMO, I was ok with it. We at least were looking to win the game and maybe the look and reaction on McGregor's face was one that it was a move that was planned (and the reason why Field was included in the 17) just executed poorly.

Nice take

dragon-83

Juniors
Watching the game at home last night, when the Dragons ran it on the fifth with a minute to go I thought "OMG, what are you doing you boneheads!". But, watching it this morning, when Kurt Mann gets the ball he has a three-man overlap. If he passes it to Jai Field he is gone, with support. Now, we all know in the context of the game it was the wrong play (maybe), but again if Kurt Mann passes that ball it may be one of those moments that is talked about for years, like the Joey Jones play in the '97 grand final. But alas, it'll be forever known as the wrong play.
He should have kicked it down field but
Funny thing is if the play comes off and they score everyone will be saying what a great option to go through the hands.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
the writing was on the wall by the time that play was done, even with a decent kick in Souths were making 60m sets easily by this point and would have got another shot in before FT or indeed if it went to golden point our chances were even less without any idea on how to setup and execute a field goal play whereas they were proven experts at the play. I say good on them for having a go, it didn't work but it was a reasonable option. there were other moments in the game which mattered a lot more....Sims going off injured, Ah Mau getting stripped of the ball, McInnes playing dumb at dummy half.

On a positive note I thought Dufty's tackle on Johnston was special - he showed he can tackle under immense pressure and Zac Lomax was very composed to slot that goal to put us in front with 4 to go - he is our future, and along with Laurie and Dufty we can build a great team around them.

ouryears

Bench
He should have kicked it down field but
Funny thing is if the play comes off and they score everyone will be saying what a great option to go through the hands.
You don't go for the money ball, one chance in shall we say 5, vs percentage play.....and expect to win a semi.

Obviously Hunt didn't even give Mann the heads up, otherwise Mann would have went wide.

It was a dickhead ego driven play by Hunt, the outcome.... plus Mann not knowing... is my evidence.

So KCUF Hunt.

A dead set ego play he was hoping would lead to immortality.

#####kffuuukk him

giboz71

First Grade
the writing was on the wall by the time that play was done, even with a decent kick in Souths were making 60m sets easily by this point and would have got another shot in before FT or indeed if it went to golden point our chances were even less without any idea on how to setup and execute a field goal play whereas they were proven experts at the play. I say good on them for having a go, it didn't work but it was a reasonable option. there were other moments in the game which mattered a lot more....Sims going off injured, Ah Mau getting stripped of the ball, McInnes playing dumb at dummy half.

On a positive note I thought Dufty's tackle on Johnston was special - he showed he can tackle under immense pressure and Zac Lomax was very composed to slot that goal to put us in front with 4 to go - he is our future, and along with Laurie and Dufty we can build a great team around them.

Reynolds was 20m out when he kicked the FG and we got stopped on halfway.

If we pin them into a corner, he wouldn’t have got a shot. It would have gone tnto extra time.

We would have likely lost anyway but that was our best chance.

Theflamingo

Juniors
You don't go for the money ball, one chance in shall we say 5, vs percentage play.....and expect to win a semi.

Obviously Hunt didn't even give Mann the heads up, otherwise Mann would have went wide.

It was a dickhead ego driven play by Hunt, the outcome.... plus Mann not knowing... is my evidence.

So KCUF Hunt.

#####kffuuukk him

Ok mate

getsmarty

Immortal

So KCUF Hunt.

#####kffuuukk him

Your better than that ouryears....Blame could be equally apportioned to Leilua/Au Mau...But what purpose does that serve ???

Can I ask you a question ? ...Were you not proud of the effort put in by the team last night ?

I certainly was and I have been supporting us for many decades....

The media is already starting to bait and troll our players...isn't it time for our fans to not join in with them and help to create further headlines...

The end result is players not wanting to play for our team because of the scrutiny the media puts them under....the Media loves to create headlines about us..eg the teashirt incident ( every other club does the same thing but they make a headline out of it to bag our club )....

I will leave it at that.