What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The «Set Move» thread

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Is it just me our is a good set move close to dead?

Things are so bad I have to use a rugby union video to demonstrate the type of thing that is possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH9FmORmbmc

(I apologise again, but you have to admit that is a hell of a set move, the reverse view is impressive)

I can vaguely remember a Bears set move appearing on Boots and All that came close to rivalling the clip above, but it is not on you tube as far as I can tell.

At the 20 second mark on this clip (warning, use mute button)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj8bRsA4Jkg

the Tigpies pull off something resembling a set move, but in reality it is just a string of dummies.

The Kiwis now famous set move in the RLWC final was respectable given the circumstances (3 min mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6SA59d_z5g&feature=related

but was nothing extraordinary.

Are there any other good examples out there?
Are current day footballers too stupid to string a few well choreographed passes together?
Are the risks too great to warrant attempting them?
Are the present day defences too good?

Danish

Referee
Take a look at Todd Carney's 2nd try against the raiders on saturday night for a great set move by the roosters.

Bman26

Juniors
Inglis scores a try off a scrum in 06 prelim final that off hand looked a good set move.

Hanscholo

Bench
We have no ball players left, so one would wonder why clubs dont do a lot more set moves that dont need any thought from players. Perhaps the coaches have lost the art of attacking football themselves over the years. Certainly in the days of Phill Gould or Warren Ryan you could expect at least two or three. Gus used to like to put a set move on up the middle of the ruck one the first set of big games, you could set your clock by it and it was usually a really nice piece of work. I guess now that we have broken the game down into channels and all we worry about is possession and ruck dominance, there is little to no use for the set move anymore. Its a shame, that this game has lost so much skill - not only from the wonderful ball players we once had, but from the coaching ranks as well.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
There isnt a real need for set moves anymore. Sides are winning and scoring tries without them. Its about field position now. Scoot from dummy half, quick play the ball, scoot from dummy half, and get repeat sets. Set moves can result in loss of meters, coaches dont think theyre worth the risk.

Besides, they still exist, just not as complex.

Smithtown

Coach
Agreed with miguel

The set moves North Sydney used to put on - devised by Ron Willey - were crackers and leaves modern footy for dead.

The reason they don't happen now is pretty much down to the 10m rule. Why try to create space when it is artificially created for you? Modern coaches won't sacrifice metres already gained, hence there is no sweeping backline moves or set depth to backlines to try and make a break (therefore make metres). Play it safe and work for your kick and the team with the least mistakes will win the game by attrition.

There are also no more classic backlines per se. No more inside or outside centres, or fullbacks chiming in to a deep set backline. We have locks at five-eighth, five-eighths at fullback, and drone backrowers as centres.

That's modern footy.

The General

Juniors
The Tigers would have to be the best exponents of set moves out of all the current teams, especially off scrums. The one they pulled off against the Dogs with the kick to Marshall was a good one. Simple but had the defense fooled.

Didgi

The Broncos play.

What is the definition of a set move? A move players practice at training to exploit on game day? Look at the Storm. Smith scoot to Cronk with Billy on the inside.

hellteam

First Grade
The second man is definintely a set play. How can you say it's not? Using the Broncos as an example (because I watch them the most) they have numerous variations on it and they still score more then half their tries doing it. The defence know it's coming, but can't stop it.

I actually think this year there's been a lot more set plays, especially off scrums. The Tigers do them often, Dragons do as well (although with limited success) and I remember Thurston scoring off a Cowboys move.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
The second man play involving Glenn Stewart, Jamie Lyon and Brett Stewart on the end is a thing of beauty.

Chook Norris

First Grade
The second man play is an insult to all the set moves ever conceived.

I agree that it's overused and may not look comparatively spectacular, but to say that modern players don't have the finesse or skill to execute set plays is rather.. 'off'; it is a planned team move afterall.

Timbo

Staff member
There's also the fact that complicated set moves confuse modern referee's. They look strange so they get sent to the video. The video referee is confused because it doesn't look normal and assumes there is something illegal going on and flashes the red lights.

See the Justin Carney no try from a Canberra scrum set play last year vs. Parramatta at Parramatta as an example.

_Johnsy

Referee
The video ref's obsession with trying to find a reason not to award a try (eg. Morris's try against brisbane At WIN - obstruction call) is a prime example of where our game is heading unfortunately.