1. Round 6 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 6 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

It's time for the NRL to take concussion more seriously. A look at recent events and what rules need changing. We talk to Adam O'Brien on how Newcastle plan to respond after last week's big loss to the Titans, and there's a special tribute to retiring North Queensland half Michael Morgan. As always, the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 6 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

The 2012/13 Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Gronk, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

It's ok. They've just released a statement saying that their initial press release was poorly worded, and that the internet will be alive.

2. Suitman

Suitman Post Whore

And these people could run our country.
    God forbid.

3. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

Is the Internet on computers these days?

4. strider

strider Post Whore

well we've survived with kevin in charge, so surely we can weather anyone

5. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

The point is they're going to create space for private individuals to provide the services they are going to CUT. So whatever handouts Labor had promised will now be provided more efficiently by people who care about efficiency. Not by government bureaucracy.

That's the meaning of small government; it's not Mr Uncharismatic promising all the unaffordable shit that 'Selfie' Rudd claims he'll give us. Abbott is saying Government can no longer afford a massive welfare state.

The experience in Europe says he's right.

6. strider

strider Post Whore

sums it up pretty well :lol:

7. The Phelan Folly

The Phelan Folly Juniors

Na, it's on our fridges.

I'm still coming to terms with the fact that that total f**king f**kwit abbot is going to be our pm. Can't wait to see the f**king deadshit represent oz on the international stage. Maybe he'll take his daughters with him and point out how good looking they are. Sweet.

8. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

Which bits of welfare is he proposing to cut? The Libs have the primary driver of middle class welfare, and they're not (thus far) showing any signs of switching that crap off. But, of course, as long as it isn't called the dole it's not welfare.

What does it mean to 'create space for private individuals to provide the services they are going to cut'? We've done this before, part of it works, part of it doesn't and a few connected people make a shitload of money from the government. Actually, in the late 90s, it made me quite a bit of money (not because I was connected) but it was a complete joke....aimed at ideological objectives rather than efficiency by any measure.

The Europe analogy is a bit weird mate. We have one of the lowest tax burdens in the world. Neither party's policies approximate those of the European basket cases.

9. Suitman

Suitman Post Whore

Joseph Paulo just commended Kearney for encouraging him to play his natural ball game. I've always thought this was the stronger point to his game.
    Seph reminds me of a young Sutton.

Suity

10. Poupou Escobar

All the criticism is that Abbott is going to CUT, CUT, CUT. This is why Rudd has been hounding him for his policies for so long.

"Abbott is going to take shit off you!!!" It's all Labor have got. Also, apparently Abbott hates women.

If it's intended to promote behaviour beneficial to the country (e.g. having children, saving for your retirement) then it's not welfare. It's incentive.

The dole is incentive to do f**k all. That's the kind of welfare that hurts everyone.

That said, the dole is necessary if only to reduce crime.

As for middle class welfare, the popular whinge among regressives is that conservative policy destroys the middle class. So why then is 'middle class welfare' allegedly aimed at rewarding them?

Enterprising people will always benefit from a change in policy. I have friends making a shitload of cash from a certain green policy introduced by the current government. Who says there's no such thing as the climate change industry?

I just wish I could get my hands on some of that human rights money.

Given that everything lies on one continuum or another, comparisons are always valid.

European states are in trouble because they have enshrined in law certain benefits to their populations that are only sustainable when certain demographic ratios are maintained.

Obviously no merkin has the right to dictate the maintenance of demographic ratios, but that didn't stop successive European governments continuing to buy votes with the contents of some nebulous future public purse.

To a lesser degree that has happened (and is happening still) here in Australia. And as regressives used to smugly point out, we were always a bit behind Europe.

11. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

You need to split that reply up across multiple posts if we're going to get to the end of the thread limit.

12. Hollywood Jesus

Hollywood Jesus Coach

I've generally agreed with your last couple of political posts but in regards to the above - the sooner we figure out a good way to do this, the better off we will be.

13. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

:lol: this is exactly the way i feel as well, i'm not much of a rudd fan but i hate that big eared cretin with a passion.

14. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

we just need to get this thread to 3000 posts and it will auto lock and then we can start up the new one so whore it up

15. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

I'll be glad when all this electioneering is behind us.

Hopefully our economy will be resilient enough to survive an Abbott led government. History will show that he will be the Stephen Kearney of Australian politics. Hope the LNP don't put up with him for too long and parachute in Malcolm Turnbull within 12 months.

16. Poupou Escobar

If the economy can handle six years of Labor it will thrive under anyone put forward by the LNP.

The party leader only matters on election day. Because so many voters still insist on a popularity contest.

17. Gronk

Bullshit. You think that the LNP policies would not take a radical shift if Turnbull took over from the Mad Monk ?

18. Poupou Escobar

No I don't. Party leaders are representative, not f**king dictators. They are there at the whim of the voters and their parties.

19. Joshuatheeel

Joshuatheeel Moderator Staff Member

The LNP PPL was purely a policy thought up by Abbott and his inner circle to soften his image among female voters . The majority of the LNP and Nats don't like it but Abbott got what he wanted

20. Gronk

Don't be so naive Pollyanna.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.