What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2016 positives thread

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Hi everyone,

Given we're at rock bottom now (or at least close to it) it would be good to have a thread focusing on the positives that we're actually getting out of this year as a club/team. This thread isn't for complaining about our players or criticising the club or arguing with each other, if you want to do that please visit any of the other threads in this forum. This thread is for recognising the positives however small they may be with the hope that we can find a ray of light out of the dark place that our club is in.

For me, a few positives are:
- Sam Mataora and Jack Stockwell look like pretty decent first graders from what I've seen this year and for the first time in years I feel like we actually have a front row that can at least hold their own.
- Sione seems to be motivated, he's got some more work to do but he's been hitting hard in defence and I thought he put on some good footwork close to the line on the weekend, I think he was denied a couple of times by good defence in the second half.
- Brock Lamb and Jack Cogger getting some first grade experience, I didn't feel that either of them let anyone down and both ran the ball on a couple of occasions which is encouraging, too early to tell whether they will be long term first graders or not but they at least giving me some optimism
- The Saifitis seem to be our best long term prospects and have both signed extensions, they've both been pretty strong this year and are getting better
- Although I don't think he's the player he used to be I feel like Aku is having a real go this year, he made some tough runs yesterday and also made a couple of really decent tackles, not to mention saving a try on Valentine Holmes when he chased him down late in the game. Also his jump in the first half when we were attacking the Sharks' line to take a cross field bomb was class, it's a shame we didn't score off it but his catching of high kicks this year I actually think has gotten better.

Those are a few little things I've observed this year, what have other people noticed?

Burns

First Grade
The Saifitis boys look the goods. Um. I suppose its good that half our under 20's squad is playing first grade and gaining experience.

We got some sponsors across the past few weeks! That's something!

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Saifitis for obvs reasons

Ross developing into a good FG winger. The guy always had the passion but tended to make rookie errors. He looks to have mostly cleared that from his game and is turning into a real Jimmy Mac 2.0

Gagai getting more involved. He still needs to develop some playmaking but he is getting there imo

Siones defence is now rock solid

Our bench no longer drops our momentum when they come on now that we have some genuine prop options.

Our coach knows it's a tough road and appears to want to put in the hard yards to at least move us in the right direction

slotmachine

First Grade
Didn't bother going yesterday so got to enjoy the comfort of my lounge and full strength beer. Big positive.

macavity

Referee
The only positive will be if our season is a catalyst for some structural changes at NRL level.

If not, it is only going to get worse from here as we start kissing goodbye to our promising kids as they kick on.

Knight76

Juniors
We knew this was going to be a rebuilding time, we've just been hit by injuries. My positives are that we are getting some younger players some game time which can only improve their game.

It was great getting on the field with the kids after the game, something I think they should do much more often as it really gets kids connected to their team and out their pretending to be their RL heroes.

Also, Jack Cogger posing for some pics with the crowd and signing autographs on the southern hill after jumping the fence to visit some relatives at full time was nice. Again, this is something that should happen more, not necessarily the jumping fence, but players heading out to the crowd to thank them, sign some autographs etc around the fences. Even if not the whole team, but select a few players to do crowd duty after the game each home game.

I became a member last week. They need all the support we can give.

Last edited:
You guys really think exposing our rookies to First Grade with absolutely no experienced players to help guide them on the field and getting pumped by cricket scores every week is good for their development? If anything it is well and truly detrimental to their development. Its not a positive at all. Rookies need good players around them to give them the best chance of kicking on.

Knight76

Juniors
It gives them some exposure to first grade. Sure, it isn't great getting belted, especially with no support from more experienced players, but those experienced players will still be in the background still giving them guidance.

They young players will learn from this experience, I didn't see anybody saying they would suddenly become 1st grade stalwarts.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I went out for lunch at the GrandView Hotel in Cleveland yesterday with my girlfriend. I enjoyed a nice bucket full of cooked mussels for $25. By the time I got home the first half was already over so I missed the pain of seeing the first 28 points scored against us.

Yesterday I had my pain halved. Winning.

betcats

Referee
First grade exposure in these circumstances isnt a positive IMO.

I have to agree. Most kids are not going develop like they should getting flogged like you guys have been. The injuries haven't helped obviously but Brown needs to sign some experienced journeymen for a year or two and give these kids time to properly develop instead of trying to rush it.

Knightmare

Coach
Positives?

The current predicament of the club might be the catalyst for their to finally be a serious discussion and revamp on TPP's.

Haffa

You guys really think exposing our rookies to First Grade with absolutely no experienced players to help guide them on the field and getting pumped by cricket scores every week is good for their development? If anything it is well and truly detrimental to their development. Its not a positive at all. Rookies need good players around them to give them the best chance of kicking on.

I think it's ok for some of the forwards with the experience around them. For backs and halves it can't be good.

As painful as it was to watch on sunday the effort was there, they're just not at the standard yet.

League_God

Juniors
The club desperately needs to sign someone and soon. At the moment honestly the only positives are the Saifitis and Mataora.

Apey

Staff member
We're going to announce signing Hayne and win the flag in 2017.

TheFrog

Coach
The Flag? Is that something Newcastle supporters award their club for going all season without conceding 100 in a game?