What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 300 Club

Fangs

Coach
Is that Country representitive superstar Jarrod Croker?

Yes it is.

Jarrod Croker played twice for Country. In 2015 and 2016. If the fixture wasn't cancelled in 2017 I'm sure he would have played many more.

Last edited:
Seems the number is growing quicker and quicker now. What do people think the reason for this is? For me the three biggest factors are:
1. Improved conditioning of players prolonging careers
2. Increased salary cap resulting in less players going to England to finish their career. Nowadays players only go there if they aren’t wanted in the NRL whereas 15 years back it was almost everyone.
3. Under 20s replacing reserve grade for a period, meaning younger players were debuting regularly.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Improved conditioning of players plus full time professionalism.

If you play 25 games per year you'll hit 300 games after 12 years.

nick87

Coach
Remarkable that BYC has achieved this at such a young age too.
Friday night is going to be a massive night for the young man

Danish

Referee
Seems the number is growing quicker and quicker now. What do people think the reason for this is? For me the three biggest factors are:
1. Improved conditioning of players prolonging careers
2. Increased salary cap resulting in less players going to England to finish their career. Nowadays players only go there if they aren’t wanted in the NRL whereas 15 years back it was almost everyone.
3. Under 20s replacing reserve grade for a period, meaning younger players were debuting regularly.

players are also happy to move club 4-5 times throughout their career now too. Wasn’t as common back in the day.

the reserve grade veteran who only plays a handful of first grade games each year doesn’t exist anymore like they did 20-30 years ago. If you are a fringe first grader at a good club you’ll sign immediately for a lesser club for more game time (and money).

but yeah the most dominant factor has to be player conditioning. Playing into your 30s was not a forgone conclusion like it is now. If Brad Fittler played till Cam Smith’s age he’d have gone see into the 400s and probably got close to 500 games (assuming no injuries though, which Freddy was prone to in his latter years)

Vic Mackey

Referee
Find all the fuss over his 300 from Canberra fairly ironic considering for the past 2 years theyve been pressuring him to retire to free up their salary cap

JamesRustle

First Grade
I sincerely hope BYC doesn't meet with misfortune before 6pm this Friday and miss his home 300th... or finish up on 299 if it were a serious misfortune.

Improved conditioning of players plus full time professionalism.

If you play 25 games per year you'll hit 300 games after 12 years.
Considering players turning 30 now don’t automatically look to England compared to 15 years ago helps. The only time players go to England is if they want to play there or if they have to in order to get a contract. It’s not the retirement top up it used to be.

BYC reaching 300. I feel old, but I'm younger than the BYC!!
Feels like just yesterday he missed that penalty goal against the Tigers in the finals. A cruel 50/50 shot that could have ended his career but the hurtin in the sheds after the game made him the legend that will play 300.

mozza91

Coach
Well done mum. Ending John Morris’ reign as the most mediocre player to reach 300 games.

20 years ago the salaries in the UK were higher, now its the opposite.
Correct, even Menzies spent some time there after leaving Manly. Could foreseeably have hung around another season or two had that not been the case. Would have had him 3rd o the list (maybe second) well clear of Lockyer.