What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 50th Anniversary of the last successful series win by Great Britain

The Partisan

Saturday just gone... July 4th... marked 50 years since Great Britain wrapped up the 1970 series with a deciding Third Test win.

Commemorated in the north of England..... not a word mentioned here in Oz as far as I know.

Bit disappointing.

And with COVID killing off the scheduled Kangaroo Test Series the opportunity is missed for the Poms to rid that monkey off their back.

Rugby League not had much luck celebrating major anniversaries.

August 1920 - 25 years **** World still recovering from War and Spanish Flu

August 1945 - 50 years **** World War 2 lingering on

August 1970 - 75 Years *** World watching Vietnam War ...and reeling from break up of The Beatles :grin:

August 1995 - 100 Years **** Super League clouds loom to dampen the long awaited return of the one event World Cup (as opposed to games over several months / years)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Without googling the teams results etc, the Poms were led by Frank Myler and had the likes of Tommy Bishop, Mal Reilly, Cliff Watson and Roger Millward who scored the match winner in Sydney.

I believe the Aussies had 3 different captains, Sattler, Langlands and Phil Hawthorn, ex Rugby International, this was due to the injuries sustained during the series.

There was that famous Brisbane test where a big brawl broke out and Watson headbutted Jim Morgan.

deluded pom?

Coach
Without googling the teams results etc, the Poms were led by Frank Myler and had the likes of Tommy Bishop, Mal Reilly, Cliff Watson and Roger Millward who scored the match winner in Sydney.

I believe the Aussies had 3 different captains, Sattler, Langlands and Phil Hawthorn, ex Rugby International, this was due to the injuries sustained during the series.

There was that famous Brisbane test where a big brawl broke out and Watson headbutted Jim Morgan.
From what I’ve seen of it Morgan starts it and Watson finishes it.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
From what I’ve seen of it Morgan starts it and Watson finishes it.

Ahh yes I saw Cliff at a function probably a year before he sadly passed, he spoke on stage about that incident and confirmed that Jim did start it with a headbut but Watson showed him how to do it better. He said Morgan's face was full of blood but didn't bother him. Both came off after full time and shook hands, and became good friends since that game.

The Aussies would try and get their revenge on the field against Watson in the third test when Beetson wacked him. Artie was eventually sent off for the high shot.

deluded pom?

Coach
Ahh yes I saw Cliff at a function probably a year before he sadly passed, he spoke on stage about that incident and confirmed that Jim did start it with a headbut but Watson showed him how to do it better. He said Morgan's face was full of blood but didn't bother him. Both came off after full time and shook hands, and became good friends since that game.

The Aussies would try and get their revenge on the field against Watson in the third test when Beetson wacked him. Artie was eventually sent off for the high shot.

28 seconds in.

Latest posts