What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 700 Level - Home of the Ginger Jesus.

Valheru

Coach
Thankfully that season is over, a disaster from start to finish.

I do think there is a reasonably quick bounce back to the playoffs within this team, especially given the quality of the rest of the division.

2 key questions for the off season.

1. What do we do with pick 6?
2. Who starts at QB?

Rumours are that Wentz and Pederson can no longer work together and looks like Wentz will be leaving at this stage. I would prefer Pederson to leave, his play calling was shocking at times and Wentz has had 1 poor season and deserves a chance under a different play caller.

Haffa

Cap hit too high to give up on Carson next year. Even if they trade him the dead cap is 34 million. It’d be the most ever dead cap if they trade him.

nick87

Coach
Howie and Doug are back. We realistically cant do anything with Carson until the end of next year.

I think it's now pretty simple... Doug and Howie have 12 months to fix Wentz/QB situation, otherwise its a hard reset

If they fix it by trading Wentz, taking on the cap hit this year, whatever other creative accounting thing Howie can do, and then going all in on Hurts and he's good. Cool.
If they fix it by repairing relationships with Wentz and getting him back to 2018-19 level of play. Cool.

But if we're here in 12 months time wondering what the future is at QB. Then Doug and Howie have got to go, and the new GM and HC can make a decision on Hurts and Wentz and what to do with them

Id have preferred to have a new GM and HC now and given them this year to fix Wentz, and if they cant we all move on... but that's not how it went, so i think this is the best way forward.

That said, go and get an actual f**king OC, a proven play caller/designer, and let that guy have a nice big say in the offence. Someone like Jay Gruden would be good. He understands WCO, he's dabbled in other schemes but he can add creativity in the offence.
Shouldnt be hard to find, whoever comes in, if Wentz gets fixed or Hurts makes strides as a thrower, they'll get a ton of credit for it and they'll be looking at HC opportunity. It's a good spot for an OC who wants a shot at a HC gig.

Re: #6 and the draft... Howie needs to take a step back and figure out why his picks all mostly suck, and for this year, we've got Dorsey in house acting as a consultant apparently. He needs to have some say over these picks and make sure there is some scouting going into this and not pure analytics

Now unless Fields or Lawrence fall (and ive gotta better chance of being drafted #1 overall than either of those guys falling to us) then i think we're going to be able to get one of the follow:

Ja'Marr Chase, DeVonta Smith or Penei Sewell.
The two pass catchers are my ideal choice and i honestly dont care which one. Get me an effing outside receiver who can get open, has good hands and can beat press. Im sick of tired of seeing our WRs get bullied at the line, get no separation and force the QB into tight window throws (a lot that is play design and coaching from Doug. Hence the need for a good, proven OC)

If both those guys are gone, id prefer to trade back but i also think Sewell would be acceptable. He's a stud LT prospect and i think Dillard would have good trade value and certainly i think Mailata who is a stud, has great trade value, think you could get a late first for Mailata and probably a day 2 pick for Dillard.

So i could get that move, take Sewell, trade the other tackles for capital and fill other needs that way. But its my least preferred option

1. Chase/Smith
2. Trade back
3. Sewell

If we do anything outside of that, im not going to have a good time

Valheru

Coach
Howie needs to go but Pederson is a good start.

As I have said before, Wentz has had one poor season and deserves a fresh start.

nick87

Coach
Howie needs to go but Pederson is a good start.

As I have said before, Wentz has had one poor season and deserves a fresh start.

yep
Let’s see what they do this off season
No where for Howie to hide now
If this doesn’t get fixed and fast, he’ll have no one left to blame and nor will Lurie

Haffa

Devonta Smith has to be the option at 6. If he gets cute and skips on the best option he won’t be able to live it down again.

nick87

Coach
I think the further the draft process goes, i think we'll find that Jalen Waddle will move up and Davonta Smith will start to move down due to size... that's all draft chatter and stock up/down nonsense. I couldnt care less. But i absolutely think Smith will be there for us at 6, i think Chase is unlikely to get to us.

I think Jalen Waddle is a f**king stud too. As long as we come out of this off season with a fresh, innovative offensive mind/scheme and one of Chase/Smith/Waddle (in that order) to help it succeed

nick87

Coach
Been eagerly awaiting what is happening at OC/DC and what sort of staff Sirianni is putting together but I admit i knew very little about him until a week ago when they announced he'd be interviewing, and i've since done a bit of research, including watching a TON of videos of him from the Colts social's where hes talking football and breaking down tape, and im happy with this.

I also listen to the Bleeding Green Podcast and my guy, and excellent twitter/tape/draft guy Benjamin Solak did a 30 minute pod talking about why he thinks Sirianni is the best candidate for the eagles and that has made me really excited too.
It's not flashy, it's not a home run, it's not going to win the press conference, he'll be rated lowly on the rankings of hires but his background, his production and his offensive philosophy are inline with what i wanted out of this coaching search

nick87

Coach
Some good hires by the eagles over night

Jonathan Gannon coming in as DC, which was my top choice after Sirianni was hired. He's got some Brandon Staley potential... not necessarily in scheme but in that he's a younger DC who understands what today's NFL is and he's got different ideas on how to stop it... the temptation may have been to go with someone like the departing Jim Schwartz, a seasoned vet, former HC to provide some experience to Sirianni, but i'd rather try to be getting on the cutting edge.

They're keeping Stoutland as OL coach, which is HUGE. He's one of the best and replacing him would have been very tough.

They're bringing in Tracy Rocker from Auburn to be the DL coach. He's consistently developed young players there but reportedly didnt like the recruitment side of things, he's got plenty of talent to work with.

And Kevin Patullo who's a long time NFL coach, 10 years experience, across a few different organisations so that'll be very helpful for Sirianni

They're interviewing Shane Steichen for the OC job and he's my top option there too, i like what he did with the chargers and Herbert. The running game stuff doesnt worry me, because i think that was driven by Lynn. I think Sirianni and Steichen will run a lot of modern NFL concepts and how efficient offence works in 2021

jaseg

Juniors
It's not flashy, it's not a home run, it's not going to win the press conference, he'll be rated lowly on the rankings of hires but his background, his production and his offensive philosophy are inline with what i wanted out of this coaching search

Yeah, take it from a Browns fan.. flashy, highly rated hires aren't always the way. Hue Jackson was the hot name 5 years ago. The Stefanski hire got straight up laughed at in some circles a year ago (especially coming off that pasting by Saleh's defense). One of them won coach of the year - the other is the worst (non-owner) HC in NFL history.

nick87

Coach
Steichen officially tabbed as OC
I think this staff is a very high ceiling low floor team

It is entirely possible these guys are all being promoted above their station and this will be a shit show. But i also think there is a chance this staff has 2 future HC's under Sirianni. Im pretty happy with how this is shaping up
and it looks like Lurie and Roseman are giving Sirianni more freedom with his staff than Doug ever got, these are clearly guys Sirianni wants. Which gives me hope that maybe Howie and Lurie learnt some lessons from the Doug era

Latest posts