What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ARL go soft and give up on promotion

ali

Bench
This is pathetic. In this day and age, a Test match between Rugby Leagues 2 top nations should not be played in a stadium that will only fit at best 25000 people. Why not play it at a bigger stadium, and atleast have a go at promoting it. How these idiots expect to run a world cup in 2008, I have no idea. This is a definate backward step, in my opinion.

I'm not saying Newcastle shouldn't hold test matches, but until they have a stadium with a bigger capacity, let them hold games such as Aus vs PNG, if anyone can ever be bothered organising it.

The Australian Rugby League have played the safe card in their recent decsion to host the ANZAC test match between Australia and New Zealand at Newcastle’s EnergyAustralia Stadium rather than the larger Suncorp Stadium (Lang Park) in Brisbane.

EnergyAustralia Stadium which will hold around 25,000 at the time the Test Match takes place (April 23) is almost guaranteed to sell out, especially with home town hero, Andrew Johns expected to take part in the match.

The news however is a blow to International Rugby League supporters north of the border. Brisbane have been without a Test Match since the 1999 Tri-Series game which saw the Kangaroos take on a very weak Great Britain and Ireland side. New South Wales however have been able to host internationals in 2000 (V New Zealand – Sydney, V New Zealand Residents – Gosford), 2002 (V Great Britain – Sydney) and 2003 (V New Zealand – Sydney).

The decision to play at EnergyAustralia Stadium is also a slight backwards step by the ARL, with the Kangaroos in recent years finally beginning to regain the imagination of the public with increased television audiences and attendances at grounds (over 30,000 at last two Sydney test matches with almost no promotion) settling for a crowd of 25,000 seems a little bit like the easy option was taken.

This is not to say that Newcastle do not deserve a Test Match, more that if only one test is going to be held in Australia, the appropriate organisations should aim to get as large of crowd as possible. The only true advantage which will come out of the hosting of the test in Newcastle is the planned blockbusters between Penrith V Brisbane (Suncorp – Sunday) and Roosters V Dragons (SFS – Monday) still should draw large crowds.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Stupid move. Especially since the ARL don't have the guts to host the Tri-Series here. Suncorp, and Queenslanders DESERVE a Test match.

Anonymous

Juniors
I think its a fair move. Promotion or not, its unlikely that they'll fill up Aussie Stadium or Lang Park. Empty seats means bad press and bad press means negative media.

Fill up a stadium this time, and next time there's a better chance of getting more bums on seats in the future.

bender

Juniors
ali said:
This is pathetic. In this day and age, a Test match between Rugby Leagues 2 top nations should not be played in a stadium that will only fit at best 25000 people. Why not play it at a bigger stadium, and atleast have a go at promoting it. How these idiots expect to run a world cup in 2008, I have no idea. This is a definate backward step, in my opinion.

I'm not saying Newcastle shouldn't hold test matches, but until they have a stadium with a bigger capacity, let them hold games such as Aus vs PNG, if anyone can ever be bothered organising it.

The Australian Rugby League have played the safe card in their recent decsion to host the ANZAC test match between Australia and New Zealand at Newcastle’s EnergyAustralia Stadium rather than the larger Suncorp Stadium (Lang Park) in Brisbane.

EnergyAustralia Stadium which will hold around 25,000 at the time the Test Match takes place (April 23) is almost guaranteed to sell out, especially with home town hero, Andrew Johns expected to take part in the match.

The news however is a blow to International Rugby League supporters north of the border. Brisbane have been without a Test Match since the 1999 Tri-Series game which saw the Kangaroos take on a very weak Great Britain and Ireland side. New South Wales however have been able to host internationals in 2000 (V New Zealand – Sydney, V New Zealand Residents – Gosford), 2002 (V Great Britain – Sydney) and 2003 (V New Zealand – Sydney).

The decision to play at EnergyAustralia Stadium is also a slight backwards step by the ARL, with the Kangaroos in recent years finally beginning to regain the imagination of the public with increased television audiences and attendances at grounds (over 30,000 at last two Sydney test matches with almost no promotion) settling for a crowd of 25,000 seems a little bit like the easy option was taken.

This is not to say that Newcastle do not deserve a Test Match, more that if only one test is going to be held in Australia, the appropriate organisations should aim to get as large of crowd as possible. The only true advantage which will come out of the hosting of the test in Newcastle is the planned blockbusters between Penrith V Brisbane (Suncorp – Sunday) and Roosters V Dragons (SFS – Monday) still should draw large crowds.

Neither Sydney or Brisbane have got more than 25000 to an Australian vs New Zealand test for some time. Neither deserves an international for some time. Newcastle will sell out. Still, i think Gold Coast would have been a far better option since they dont have any top class football during the NRL season and this is the prime opportunity to satisfy their footballing needs and promote the game there. The NRL have done the right thing by ensuring the Australian game is a sellout. They need to make getting tickets to an international a big thing again (Like state of origin used to be) and the grand final is.

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Another ARL cock up.

First they live in the 40's and allow the AFL take over as the most populaur sport in the country.

They sell their soul and give up not only the TV rights but scheduling rights to Nine for 20 years with an option to extend the contract.

Now this.

When will they hand the International part of our game to people who want to see it expand and grow.

It's hard enough to stand up for our game down here, this will give the Melbourne media a field day :cry: #-o

DIEHARD

----
It's a bit hard for Brisbane to prove themselves at hosting internationals when we get like one per decade. We have the best stadium in the world and the best club averages that will only improve this year and with the future introduction of more clubs.

Surandy

Bench
Stormwarning[c said:
]Another ARL c**k up.

First they live in the 40's and allow the AFL take over as the most populaur sport in the country.

They sell their soul and give up not only the TV rights but scheduling rights to Nine for 20 years with an option to extend the contract.

Now this.

When will they hand the International part of our game to people who want to see it expand and grow.

It's hard enough to stand up for our game down here, this will give the Melbourne media a field day :cry: #-o

Maybe they should play the test in Melbourne. 8)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Who comes up with these ideas, dont they know Queensland hasnt hosted a test match since who nows when. Surely Suncorp deserves a spot, I mean Newcastle would be good if it someone like Australia/France or PNG. But against NZL???? next thing you know test matches would be played at Leichardt OVal.

PAthetic from the ARL.

Grantwhy

Juniors
I agree this proabably would of got a bigger crowd at Suncorp Stadium (Lang Park) . . . .

But it does give me some hope now that NQ might one day get a Aus/NZ test :D

Grantwhy

Juniors
And I guess the ARL is thinking a full 25,000 seat stadium is better than a bigger stadium with 30,000ish and showing empty seats :oops:

dimitri

First Grade
Stormwarning[c said:
]Another ARL c**k up.

Now this.

i agree

iggy plop

First Grade
bender said:
ali said:

Neither Sydney or Brisbane have got more than 25000 to an Australian vs New Zealand test for some time. Neither deserves an international for some time. Newcastle will sell out. Still, i think Gold Coast would have been a far better option since they dont have any top class football during the NRL season and this is the prime opportunity to satisfy their footballing needs and promote the game there. The NRL have done the right thing by ensuring the Australian game is a sellout. They need to make getting tickets to an international a big thing again (Like state of origin used to be) and the grand final is.

When was the last time Australia played the Kiwis at Lang Park?? I reckon it was a while ago and the crowd was ok, remembering the old capacity of lang park was 33,000.

iggy plop

First Grade
Grantwhy said:
I agree this proabably would of got a bigger crowd at Suncorp Stadium (Lang Park) . . . .

But it does give me some hope now that NQ might one day get a Aus/NZ test :D

Actually Dairy Farmers would be a much better option than Energy Australia Stadium.

Better facilities, higher capacity. 31,000.

RICHO

Juniors
Will Newcastle's ground be ready for it by then?
Last I heard it was a major construction zone, the Eastern hill was a shambles!!!

Also, yesterdays newpaper reports Wollongong as the favourite to host the game.

Simo

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
umm I think its 2004.

Front Rower is right.

Whilst they are holding the 2004 match in Newcastle, the 2005 match is baing played at Suncorp.

I think it is good to rotate around the places that love League. Sure they may have got a bigger crowd in Brisbane, but next year they will get their chance. Then I hope NQ get a go and also Canberra. Once the Gold Coast upgrades Carrara id like to see them have a turn aswell.

That way more people are seeing the National side and it doesnt get taken for granted as much in Sydney.

JK

It is a shame - Melb or Brisbane are better options.

I'll buy a ticket regardless. When are they on sale?