What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ARL go soft and give up on promotion

Moggles

Juniors
I am pretty sure the last time Australia played the Kiwis at Lang Park was in 95 or 96.
It was Brett Dallas' first game for the Roos?

I don't really mind it being at Newcastle, another place to keep in mind would be Townsville.. As long as Lang Park gets one soon...

Simo

First Grade
Moggles said:
I am pretty sure the last time Australia played the Kiwis at Lang Park was in 95 or 96.
It was Brett Dallas' first game for the Roos?

I don't really mind it being at Newcastle, another place to keep in mind would be Townsville.. As long as Lang Park gets one soon...

2005 they will get it, is being reported.

Freak

Juniors
Would think if there was ever a time to promote an international game of RL between Aust and NZ it would be now after coming off a loss to them last year and then a successful Kanga Tour.

Newcastle will put on a good show, and I guess they won't need to give away tickets as demand will be high, but who wouldn't want to see a capacity Lang Park international. =P~
Personally I would have taken the punt, especially now with Benny the new coach, but I guess the Akamanis show just rolls on north of the border!!! :(

The decision was probably influenced by the fact that only 12 500 people turned up to Lang Park in 1999 (the last test to be played in Brisbane) when the Aussies crushed the Poms.

Macca

Coach
dimitri said:
Stormwarning[c said:
]Another ARL c**k up.

First they live in the 40's and allow the AFL take over as the most populaur sport in the country.

They sell their soul and give up not only the TV rights but scheduling rights to Nine for 20 years with an option to extend the contract.

Now this.

When will they hand the International part of our game to people who want to see it expand and grow.

It's hard enough to stand up for our game down here, this will give the Melbourne media a field day :cry: #-o

i agree

You agree, but unfortunatley you are a twit. The game is being played in a place that has provided many of it's greatest players. Joey deserves to lead an Australian side out on to Marathon in Newcastle and next year I reckon Darren Lockyer will get the chance to do the same at Lang Park. I think it is very acceptable to play it in Newcastle this year as the fans up there are some of the most loyal in the world.

JK

Can't wait to see a test at Suncorp. I saw Tigers vs Broncos there last year and it is SUPERB!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Up the mighty Phins said:
The decision was probably influenced by the fact that only 12 500 people turned up to Lang Park in 1999 (the last test to be played in Brisbane) when the Aussies crushed the Poms.

That was a big flop, lack of promotion, wrong time of the year, too expensive and they were playing it when the Yawnion Cup was on.

So they still didnt have a clue back then.

ali

Bench
But the question is why don't why our administrators have any ambition. If we could make our Tests half as popular as the Bledisloe, then we are on a winner. It surely should be an achievable goal. The Kiwis are choc full of quality players, and can usually turn over Australia 1 in 4 games. Having a test in Newcastle will not be a revenue winner. Surely they wont even be able to charge as much for tickets up there. Where will the premium seats be and how many boxes will they have in comparison to Suncorp or Aussie stadium?

We should be moving this fixture forward with the long term ambition of being able to sell out Aussie stadium, Suncorp stadium and further down the track Stadium Australia. This is a massive backward leap.

The ARL is full of pussies.

And By the way, the last 2 Tests in Sydney both got over 25000 people.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Umm, Dunno about comparing the Aussie stadium vs Energy Australia Stadium figures.

After gold memberships, something like 12,000... isn't there only 28,000 tickets available for sale at Aussie ?

28,000 at Aussie vs 25,000 at EA.

Newcastle will sell all 25,000... no doubts about that.

The ground will be cheaper to hire, and the ARL needs more than anything to add to its bank balance.

For 3,000 extra seats at Aussie, that may not sell, and in a more expensive venue.. you're kidding...

EA vs Suncorp is a different matter.

And as far as Newcastle no affording it, suburbs like Wickham had 60% real estate increases in 2002, and Newcastle has seen the highest real estate increases for any Australian city in the last 24 months.

OneSteel is going great guns.

There is plenty of money flowing in Newcastle at the moment.

greeneyed

First Grade
The ground in Newcastle, unfortunately, is not up to standard for the purpose of hosting a Test match.

ali

Bench
Kurt, you are right I did forget about members, but from I saw at last years Test, the members would have been lucky to have been half full. If it holds 12000, there would have been lucky to have been 6000 there.

I think you are underestimating the amount of revenue they could get from corporate facilities at the Aussie stadium. But I guess the ARL knows best.

However the date and venue for this Test should have decided long before the NRL draw was released. Why schedule a Test for a weekend and then notice that your 2 most ideal venues already have big games on that weekend, that may detract from a test match? Idiots! :roll:

And how much could the venue hire possibly be? Surely not much, as venues are all in competition for big games, and can make revenue out of catering etc. I'd say its a fairly competitive market.

IKnowIt

Juniors
ali said:
However the date and venue for this Test should have decided long before the NRL draw was released. Why schedule a Test for a weekend and then notice that your 2 most ideal venues already have big games on that weekend, that may detract from a test match? Idiots!

I couldn't agree more. But this is a problem because the ARL who organise the tests, and the NRL the NRL Competition. These two organisations should be the same and organise the year (NRL, SOO, tests etc) all at once. This will give us a good yearly calendar with minimal conflict between the various levels of the professional game. But what happened here is also typical with many league administrators, no long term strategic planning and integration of planning skills.

sunny

A good idea to play the match in newcastle, where there would at least be the appearance that someone gave a shit, but this year, when EnergyAustralia Stadium is under construction? Right idea, wrong time.