What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ashes

Old Timer

Coach
Well Handscomb didn't quite come off for you OT but I think looking at todays wicket Lyon might just get you home for the top wicket taker.
Yes Hanscombe dissaoointed but not sure he should have been dropped before the W.A.C.A. Test
I really hope Lyon has a big day out he deserves it as he has bowled really well
We are now stuck with the Marsh brothers and they will go to South Africa and probably England
Sean is no free flowing No 5 and Mitch will be undone by a 4 prong aggressive pace attack with real pace
All but for 45 minutes yesterday was boring and a shame to see people leaving early in the last session
Los of kids there yesterday and the slowness did nothing to enhance test cricket as a spectacle
Test cricket has gone back to a crawl and trying to guarantee 5 day tests as the T20 takes over the crowd pleaser role
Funny before T20 the likes of Taylor, Waugh, Ponting all pushed for a 4 / over run rate and now we struggle to get 3
Channel 9 too much influence for my liking

Crush

Coach
Yes Hanscombe dissaoointed but not sure he should have been dropped before the W.A.C.A. Test
I really hope Lyon has a big day out he deserves it as he has bowled really well
We are now stuck with the Marsh brothers and they will go to South Africa and probably England
Sean is no free flowing No 5 and Mitch will be undone by a 4 prong aggressive pace attack with real pace
All but for 45 minutes yesterday was boring and a shame to see people leaving early in the last session
Los of kids there yesterday and the slowness did nothing to enhance test cricket as a spectacle
Test cricket has gone back to a crawl and trying to guarantee 5 day tests as the T20 takes over the crowd pleaser role
Funny before T20 the likes of Taylor, Waugh, Ponting all pushed for a 4 / over run rate and now we struggle to get 3
I too have noticed that. I have been out to days, 1, 2 and on the train now for day 4. And tbh it has been pretty slow and boring all the way. IMO its because the likes of Taylor, Waugh and Ponting weren't playing for their careers every time they batted that is why they could push the run rate along. Now we have guys like Handscomb getting dropped after 2 tests, Khawaja and Bancroft playing for their spots. They are all just trying to survive and not get out.
Pontings first tour of India he played 5 inns for 17 runs and averaged 3.
Imagine if the current batsmen had those numbers!
Selection is to blame for the survival mode our batsmen are in at times.
On Lyon- I think he will get a bag in the 2nd inns.

Old Timer

Coach
I too have noticed that. I have been out to days, 1, 2 and on the train now for day 4. And tbh it has been pretty slow and boring all the way. IMO its because the likes of Taylor, Waugh and Ponting weren't playing for their careers every time they batted that is why they could push the run rate along. Now we have guys like Handscomb getting dropped after 2 tests, Khawaja and Bancroft playing for their spots. They are all just trying to survive and not get out.
Pontings first tour of India he played 5 inns for 17 runs and averaged 3.
Imagine if the current batsmen had those numbers!
Selection is to blame for the survival mode our batsmen are in at times.
On Lyon- I think he will get a bag in the 2nd inns.
Have great day out there Crush hopefully we push on quickly get 230 in front and put them in.
I agree selection policy is a big issue but also believe Channel 9 are so powerful they dictate that tests must be 5 days for TV rights and sponsorship deals and as a result we get boring slow wickets and those horrible drop in pitches and to top it off the Adelaide test is the manufactured point of difference that Channel 9 want to become the norm.
Honestly the previously pace friendly WACA wicket is proof of how change has been rung in and forced upon us and the GABBA is following not far behind.
Yes cricket and St George Illawarra have a lot in common "both under threat".

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Boring!.......mmmm some forget this is test cricket not 20/20. Purists would understand the tactics yesterday and the strategy has placed us in a very strong position to win the game. Aust dont want to bat again and grinding a lead of around 300 and giving them 5 sessions to not only meet the deficit but to also build a lead. If they play either aggresively or defensively it wont be their natural game openibg up opportunities for us to take the required 10 wickets.
Test cricket is about strategy over 5 days and how to win the game this strategy IS the source of entertainment. If you want copious amounts of 4 or 6's then the BBL is more your style but where the only strategy is to clear the boundary as many times you can.

Old Timer

Coach
Boring!.......mmmm some forget this is test cricket not 20/20. Purists would understand the tactics yesterday and the strategy has placed us in a very strong position to win the game. Aust dont want to bat again and grinding a lead of around 300 and giving them 5 sessions to not only meet the deficit but to also build a lead. If they play either aggresively or defensively it wont be their natural game openibg up opportunities for us to take the required 10 wickets.
Test cricket is about strategy over 5 days and how to win the game this strategy IS the source of entertainment. If you want copious amounts of 4 or 6's then the BBL is more your style but where the only strategy is to clear the boundary as many times you can.
Yes boring
We were well on top against a rank ordinary English attack and our batsmen should have put them well and truly to the sword as soon as we passed their score but no we dithered around
I have been watching test cricket for > 50 years and understand the elements you mention but you give this 2nd rate pommy outfit far too much credit
Pedestrian bowling attack and should have been belted into Kippax lake
At $150 a ticket the crowd was entitled to a bit more and former batsmen of bygone eras would have delivered it
PS When you see our attack I understand why their batsmen struggle but their attack is just plain shit

dragonhysteria

Juniors
I actually don't mind the patient approach by our batsmen and actually building an innings. Too often we see them get out in test cricket trying to pay T20 style shots. If they want to win in South Africa, England and India they need this patience. They don't have the talent (Warner and Smith excluded) to take attacks apart like we saw Hayden, Langer, Ponting and Gilchrist (to name a few) do. Drop in wickets also have a lot to do with but as long there is an even contest between bat and ball I am happy.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

You mean Network Ten, don't you?

I also think the Marsh brothers are showing what they're capable of doing at Test level; give credit where it's due.

Australia may well become unstuck in South Africa, then again, most sides do, and not too many nations win abroad these days.

A solution needs to be found at the top of the order with Bancroft not looking quite ready at this level. Personally, I would've persevered with Renshaw. If anything. he's a far better first slipper that anyone else currently in the side.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Oh yeah, T20 cricket bores the shit out of me.

Perhaps it's the 'inner old fart' in me coming out on full display, but I find it completely unfulfilling compared to Tests.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I think we are glorifying the past, 240 - 300 runs a day was the norm in the 90s and naughties. Yes, sometimes it was more but not that often and Taylor was never a quick scorer.

Latest posts