What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bears

898932c95b8ae4650324c09aee34cbddd7c5bf1a
The bear in that logo looks like it is out of its mind. Just like the people behind the bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I feel for the bear bless them, they’ve tried to hitch their wagon to any likely place that comes along and now due to vlandys myopia believe that becoming a country nsw nomadic club is going to give them a chance. It’s delusional, but a bit sad.

Colk

First Grade
That was well articulated and an interesting insight.

If you were deconstruct the response of Bears fans from a psychological perspective, at least from your encounters and your experience, it would seem, if not impossible but highly implausible to ever really satiate their supporter base in whatever form they would ever come they came back in.

Even if they were to come back as the North Sydney Bears they are trying only to reclaim a lost memory or experience which has been enriched by its absence. They would never recapture that experience.

On the aspect of relocation, I have always been in favour of relocation because my support of the Raiders has never been from a geographical perspective. I guess in order to explain it, I simply think if the amount of your total supporters increases in a new market then it should be considered and is more preferable than a merger

Colk

First Grade
I feel for the bear bless them, they’ve tried to hitch their wagon to any likely place that comes along and now due to vlandys myopia believe that becoming a country nsw nomadic club is going to give them a chance. It’s delusional, but a bit sad.

I hope that you’re right for the sack of the competition and its potential but I do feel sad for their fans

The irony of The Bears becoming a nomadic team of sorts to get back into the competition....
Does anyone not remember that their last season, as a stand alone club, in the comp?
In that season they were supposed to have been playing out of Gosford but the horrendous weather stopped the construction of the stadium, hence making The Bears a nomadic team that played their home games all over the country.
This is one of the main reasons why they failed in the criteria set out by the NRL at the time

flippikat

Bench
The irony of The Bears becoming a nomadic team of sorts to get back into the competition....
Does anyone not remember that their last season, as a stand alone club, in the comp?
In that season they were supposed to have been playing out of Gosford but the horrendous weather stopped the construction of the stadium, hence making The Bears a nomadic team that played their home games all over the country.
This is one of the main reasons why they failed in the criteria set out by the NRL at the time
Yeah, good point now you mention it.

In hindsight they really should have either played the season at North Sydney Oval, or used the SFS for every home game as a temporary home (good facilities, a reliable & central location) if NSO was deemed sub-standard by the NRL.

The_Frog

First Grade
The North Sydney Bears would have survived, and Penrith Panthers been left behind, had the Bears not been in debt (supposedly $4 million). What a forward thinking decision that would have been.

I think the players are out there for an 18 team competition.
I like the idea of promotion and relegation, I think a lot more players might stick it out in the reserve grades if there were a chance they could play in the NRL. Logistically I don’t know how it would work and there would only be a handful of clubs that have the financial backing to be promoted.

Finance is the major barrier to promotion and relegation. There are very few clubs who are not in the NRL currently with the financial power to survive in the NRL. Also think of the logistical problems with players contracted to clubs who get relegated, let alone the financial hit the relegated clubs would take too.

Additionally, could you imagine if we had promotion/relegation and another season where the Qld based clubs performed so poorly that some of them got relegated and in their place more teams from NSW or even in Sydney were added? Imagine the Brisbane TV rating for a game like Parramatta v Wentworthville. You can imagine Channel 9 wanting to broadcast that eh?

Yeah, good point now you mention it.

In hindsight they really should have either played the season at North Sydney Oval, or used the SFS for every home game as a temporary home (good facilities, a reliable & central location) if NSO was deemed sub-standard by the NRL.

the main reason Norths were wanting to move out of North Sydney Oval was because of the exorbitant rent North Sydney Council were charging them. Compared to NSW Cricket and the Northern Spirit who were in the (then) NSL, the Bears were being charged between five time to 10 times the amount of rent per game as those organisations. This when Gosford wasn't ready, they were reluctant to return to North Sydney Oval, but by the last third of the 1999 season they had as attendances cratered when they played home games at other grounds earlier that year.

MugaB

Coach
Finance is the major barrier to promotion and relegation. There are very few clubs who are not in the NRL currently with the financial power to survive in the NRL. Also think of the logistical problems with players contracted to clubs who get relegated, let alone the financial hit the relegated clubs would take too.

Additionally, could you imagine if we had promotion/relegation and another season where the Qld based clubs performed so poorly that some of them got relegated and in their place more teams from NSW or even in Sydney were added? Imagine the Brisbane TV rating for a game like Parramatta v Wentworthville. You can imagine Channel 9 wanting to broadcast that eh?
Or if Melbourne and Brisbane both have a bad season, ratings would pummet

The Great Dane

First Grade
That was well articulated and an interesting insight.

If you were deconstruct the response of Bears fans from a psychological perspective, at least from your encounters and your experience, it would seem, if not impossible but highly implausible to ever really satiate their supporter base in whatever form they would ever come they came back in.

Even if they were to come back as the North Sydney Bears they are trying only to reclaim a lost memory or experience which has been enriched by its absence. They would never recapture that experience.
For some people (a minority IMO) it would be impossible for a returned Bears to ever live up to their expectations, I can go into why that is in more detail if you like, but they are the exception and generally speaking I'd say it's implausible not impossible.

If for example the Bears came back and were the next dynasty club that goes on to have an extended golden period, the next Storm if you will, then that success would go a long way to bridging the gap between the old iteration of the club and it's fan base and the new, but that is a highly unlikely scenario.
On the aspect of relocation, I have always been in favour of relocation because my support of the Raiders has never been from a geographical perspective. I guess in order to explain it, I simply think if the amount of your total supporters increases in a new market then it should be considered and is more preferable than a merger
I don't disagree with you at all, in fact I totally support rationalisation assuming it's well handled.

Though I agree that relocation can be a very successful method of rationalisation, personally I prefer other methods of rationalisation because I think that the average RL administrator is too sentimental to successfully pull it off. IMO any relocated NRL club would become too bogged down in trying to appease their old fanbase instead of building the new one, and that that would have long term negative impacts on all parties involved.

Colk

First Grade
For some people (a minority IMO) it would be impossible for a returned Bears to ever live up to their expectations, I can go into why that is in more detail if you like, but they are the exception and generally speaking I'd say it's implausible not impossible.

If for example the Bears came back and were the next dynasty club that goes on to have an extended golden period, the next Storm if you will, then that success would go a long way to bridging the gap between the old iteration of the club and it's fan base and the new, but that is a highly unlikely scenario.

I don't disagree with you at all, in fact I totally support rationalisation assuming it's well handled.

Though I agree that relocation can be a very successful method of rationalisation, personally I prefer other methods of rationalisation because I think that the average RL administrator is too sentimental to successfully pull it off. IMO any relocated NRL club would become too bogged down in trying to appease their old fanbase instead of building the new one, and that that would have long term negative impacts on all parties involved.

Fair enough. Would you be personally in favour of mergers (which I’m definitely not a fan of) or demotion to the NSW Cup. I can think of 2 perhaps even 3 Sydney clubs that have limited room for growth due to geography and other circumstances and about 3 or 4 markets that don’t have a club and would be highly profitable and beneficial for the NRL

It is all hypothetical though as it will not likely happen

MugaB

Coach
the average RL administrator is too sentimental to successfully pull it off. IMO any relocated NRL club would become too bogged down in trying to appease their old fanbase instead of building the new one, and that that would have long term negative impacts on all parties involved.
You worry a relocation would be a current Wests Tigers scenario, be all to everyone, and end up as nothing..
I've always had the opinion that the roosters would be the perfect relocation, they are a super successful organization that has bugger all room in sydney, but makes it all work, picked up and plonked to become a foreign one team city boasting over 1.5 million population, screaming for representation like a Perth or Adelaide, the right club can flourish.. the idea that a failed sydney club has to demote or to be moved on to an expansion area, make a relocation more of a threat or a punishment... when really if you want you're own space as a club this could be the best thing for a well run club..
Not every club can afford to be out of their region, NFL seem to pick up teams fairly often, the rams and raiders etc

Latest posts